Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: healing4peace ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 12:19AM

Have any of you seen this video? It shows Bednar explaining to a young boy why he should read the scriptures/pray/make good decisions regarding the church. Looking at a video like this now i cringe and become angry. The poor kid is terrified and the "leader" totally scared the kid to death. It was unnecessary. There are so many other ways he could have gotten the message across- since thats what he believes is best for the boy- but this way wAs just shameful.looking back on my own experiences i can pick out horrible moments where leadership and members also used fear tactics to teach a message or push for what they feel is a favorable outcome regarding behavior, but i guess you never realize how terrible those cases are until you age and/or leave. The audience of adults are all chuckling and believing the lesson is fantastic. I feel so bad for the kid who honestly has no idea theres a problem with the situation. I do realize that fear is a big part of how the church functions as a whole, but to use it so blatantly with kids is 100000x worse in my opinion.

http://youtu.be/8Zk2uMQ9TTw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 12:22AM by healing4peace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 01:12AM

It bothers me, too.

Posted by: alsosaw ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 01:19AM

yes, and know of at least one resignation it caused

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 03:51AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.