Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 02:49PM

Was just commenting about doctrines the Morg now denies in another thread, and it really got me thinking:

IF YOU CAN'T BECOME A GOD (CAPITAL G), THEN WHAT ON EARTH WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE PLAN OF SALVATION?

Think about it. The plan of salvation was a pretty high-stakes kind of plan. Everyone was already in heaven, presumably the CK, since that's where God is. Not a bad place to be.

Then one day God tells us it's time to go to earth and get bodies and prove ourselves - and here's the kicker: Very few people are going to return to anything much better than what they had before, and many will end up worse off. (And all this after 1/3 of people are cast into outer darkness before the game even starts). The people who end up in the Telestial and Terrestrial kingdoms - IE most people - will never again get to be with all the people they love, never again get to see their heavenly father and mother.

What on earth could make such a craptastic sounding plan worth the risk? What could make billions of people say, "Sure I'll give that a shot"! The answer of course is that ONLY A HUGE REWARD IS WORTH SUCH A HIGH STAKES RISK. And that reward was GODHOOD. Sure, maybe you only had a 1/100 chance at best of ending up any better off than you started, but if you did - oh man oh man, the payout was huge. You get to be an almighty, omnipotent God who gets to make your own galaxies and spend eternity as an all-knowing diety, worshipped by billions upon billions of people you get to create. Pretty freaking sweet, right?

So how can so many TBM's now continue to teach the plan of salvation while denying that we can become like God. What is the whole point then? Seems like all risk, no reward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 02:51PM by mobegone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 03:11PM

They have become embarrassed by their own conceit.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 04:17PM

...no it's not pointless!! I am already a GOD!!!

http://martinmorblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/zebra-donk.jpg

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 03:14PM

Eternal life is highly over-rated. Even if you can be a God, do you really want to live forever?

Eventually eternity would turn into mind-numbing boredom and existence would be tedium. Eventually the only possible outcome of immortality is hell.

I want to live a full life, but at the end, death please.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 03:51PM

Yes. Now we can't become Gods, could someone please define the very sought after state of "Exaltation" please?

If the big reward is just wandering around aimlessly with a baker's hat and green apron eating all the free jello salad and funeral potatoes you want with a smug knowing look on your face, I'm with bc---death please.

I mean really. How long before all the goody-goodies in the CK are playing hooky and heading over to one of the forbidden kingdoms for a night on the town? How long can you listen to clean jokes while drinking bright orange soda, anyway?

What is exaltation?

Posted by: John Ferrier ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 03:55PM

Posted by: Paidinfull ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 03:56PM

The plan of salvation/exaltation is arrogance to the highest order. Never mentioned but implied in becoming a god over your own universe is if you suspect (to youself only!) that HF might have screwed up just a little, you can fantacize about how great you'll be as a heavenly father (and fix all his mistakes!) Exmormons who take the old testament as literally as they once did the BoM talk about how mean & nasty old testament God is, without any ability to understand who wrote it, it's perspective. & how to interpret it. No matter if you stick with the mormon plan! One day you can be as nasty or benevolent as you want cuz afterall, you will be God in a universe of your own.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 04:12PM

You can't become a god? I must have missed that memo. I appreciate that GBH gave a fumbled response to the question, but exaltation to Godhead is still taught in LDS scriptures and lesson manuals.

It also looks like a new essay addresses this (link in another thread).

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 04:28PM

The CK seems like a throwback to pagan beliefs. I always wondered if Joe gound the CK in a reading of Norse mythology. By drinking beer and bring violent you join Odin inhis kingdom of Valhalla; by screwing around with multiple women and abstaining from coffee, you can join Joseph Smith on his planet.

Posted by: anonrit3n0w ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 04:30PM

are they really officially denying this doctrine? I don't talk to mormons much these days, and the ones I do associate with through work don't know I once belonged to their little psycho club so doctrine doesn't get brought up. Or is this deny publicly but we're really still godhood bound *wink wink*

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 04:32PM

If you become a god, who do you spend eternity worshipping?

I mean, you can't get the hook entirely.

Wait, I'm serious I think...? There must be a talk given by some Mormon mucky-muck that either mentions this or admits that you DON'T have to anything once you get to the ultimate Amway/LDS level but have sex and be worshipped by the great unwashed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.