Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 10:21AM

The news outlets indicate TSM has no intention of showing up for the UK trial. Does the trial still go forward with TSM tried in absentia? What happens if he is found guilty but isn't there? Most TBMs still have no idea of the upcoming trial and I'm wondering if anyone knows how this plays out when the accused doesn't even show up for the trial.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 10:22AM

An arrest warrant will be issued.

Stay tuned for further developments.

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 01:09PM

So he never goes to the UK again to avoid arrest. Can they confiscate church property as an alternative?

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 01:44PM

That would be pretty amazing...confiscate all church property and force the church to go underground. Send all the missionaries home as well. That would prompt even some rabid TMB's to dig deeper and learn the truth. Others might hold out and meet with other members in private waiting for Jesus' imminent return. Others might leave the country. In any case, the church would effectively cease to exist in England.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 02:06PM

The world will get smaller for him as other actions are taken against him in other countries.

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 04:45PM

Also, *if* an arrest warrant were to be issued for him in the U.K., it would not be safe for him to visit any EU-country as within EU extradition isn't much of an issue (more akin to extraditing someone from California to Texas on federal charges).

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 06:21PM

Is this really an issue? When was the last time Monson traveled outside the US? Seems to me that confiscation of assets is a much bigger threat.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 10:24AM

Depends on wether his no show was prearranged with the court or wether he just fails to show and doesn't send representation.

I personally expect him not to show at the first hearing in the hopes the lawyers can make it all go away.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 01:11PM

Off with his head...

The Queen will send in 007 to get him.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 01:34PM

James Bond vs The Danites. Monson as Dr Evil. Yes, the world DOES make sense...

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 02:30PM

Anyone know where to order sharks with frickin' lasers on their foreheads?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:26PM

I know how to get sharks. I also know how to get lasers. Well, those laser pointer pins that you annoy your cat with. Also, sharks only attack if they are hungry, and rarely go after anything their own size, unless they think it is a seal. So I don't know how effective this plan is going to be.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 01:15PM

How would any of us, possibly excepting TP, know? My utterly worthless opinion is he won't personally go, but some lawyers will show up on his behalf. That provides credible presence to avoid outright contempt of court status. After the first meeting? I don't even have a worthless opinion at that point.

Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:23PM

I tend to agree with this.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 01:22PM

We all know he doesn't really do that much, but could he (or his lawyers) throw out a "Hey, I'm trying to run a church here" type thing? I mean, would the Pope show up if he was in the same position or would "his people" handle it?

I suspect the church will try to run interference for him just so he doesn't say something senile on the stand.

Posted by: finalfrontier ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:54PM

The pope is a head of state, so he has diplomatic immunity.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 01:38PM

As others have said, if he simply doesn't show up, then a warrant will be issued for his arrest. That's not an opinion, that's simply how the law works.

But that will never happen. Monson isn't a moron. He'll send legal representation who will ask that he be excused from personally appearing. He has a few good excuses, and I would guess that the judge will probably accept that. It'd be nice if she didn't, because it would be fantastic to see Monson dragged before the court for the whole world to see. But I really don't see that happening at this stage. I would imagine that the wheels were set into motion for him to be excused (at least from these initial hearings), starting almost the instant the Morg heard about the case.

I'm sure their lawyers are also equally hard at work trying to get the case thrown out before Monson has to respond at all. That would obviously be the best case scenario for the Morg, but I don't know the likelihood of their success in that, after a judge has already looked over some preliminary arguments and found the case to be valid.

Date: February 25, 2014 01:42PM

Does the UK have some type of American fifth amendment regarding self incrimination?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 02:37PM

As a general rule, everyone's day is a little brighter when TSM doesn't show up.

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 02:58PM

If TSM doesn't show up, that's when we publish the 12th Article of Faith far and wide...opening another whole can of worms for LDS Inc.

But, then...
Joseph Smith didn't "obey, honor and sustain the Law", OR subject himself to Kings, Presidents OR MAGISTRATES.
Why do we think Monson would?
Jus wonderin'...

Posted by: rracer ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 02:43PM

Considering that we have an extradition treaty with the UK, if a judge in the UK orders his arrest, the US will turn him over to UK authorities.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 02:50PM

I don't think he will show up.

I think the case will be settled with a huge amount of money.

We will never know the truth behind the scenes.

It will appear the 2 victims dropped the case and changed their minds.

In reality, they made off with millions -- hundreds of millions.

Watch and listen.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 02:50PM

I think if he actually did show up, we would all be picking our jaws up off the floor.

Date: February 25, 2014 03:05PM

Perhaps the Articles of Faith might be referred to as

"Guidelines and Suggestions"

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 05:09PM

Aof F are only for the little people.

Posted by: Out of England ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 05:39PM

deco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps the Articles of Faith might be referred to
> as
>
> "Guidelines and Suggestions"

----------------

I don't know that we teach the 12th article of faith anymore.....it's more of a couplet

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 05:42PM

I like that ....a couplet.

If it rhymed it could be more enjoyable too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.