Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 04:58PM

You would think he is some kind of super hero with all of the attention he gets.

Just had lunch with my parents, Not sure if my father was trying to find some, non lds, common ground with me or is just really clueless.

HE started relaying the miracles of the the new movie "the Son Of God" I guess Roma downey is the mother of jesus? (because she was in touched by an angel and that was such a great family friendly show and filmed in utah that she is practically mormon or something) And apparently satan, in the new movie looked so much like obama that there was too much controversy in using that actor so they kind of cut him out of the movie or something because that was drawing too much attention away from jesus? Then because they filmed outside of the US they had to have someone scour the area before shooting to get rid of the scorpions and snakes. BUT, before the crucifixion scene even though the area had been cleared, they came up with buckets full of snakes while trying to shoot the scene. OOHH....stan was at work again...

I never seems to amaze me how I find myself sitting around listening to this kind of superstitious crap and I am always taken by surprise and have nothing to say because I'm usually so stunned.

I was going to ask for a good rebuttal to something like this and then it hit me. Why in the hell does stan have so much power. He just does whatever he wants whenever he wants and somehow that is supposed to prove just how great god is? I'm so confused.

I could still use some insight into this if anyone has it. I'm sure this will be shared again at another family gathering...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 06:26PM by stoppedtheinsanity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 05:16PM

Stan has power because Mormons fear him more than they have faith in Christ. Secondly, stories about power over Stan are generally made up testimonials of the tellers religion, but the true power and influence of Satan is seen in the actions of his followers whenever one of us leaves his LatterDay Corporation.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 05:19PM

Stan has the POWER because God gave it to him.

Ponder on that one for awhile...

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 05:19PM

Date: February 26, 2014 05:35PM

Stella? Is that stan's wife?

Date: February 26, 2014 05:36PM

Stan would never get married - it's too legal and expected and all that.

Posted by: Solitary Loner ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 11:34PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 10:26AM

I've been living in "sin" with my unwife for more than 30 years and our third (and final;-) child turned 18 today without hating either of us, so I think I prefer "living in WIN".

It describes that part of my life to a tee :-)

Tom in Paris

Posted by: IDRugger ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 10:37PM

Stella! Stellllllaaaaa!

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 05:25PM

You could just explain that Stan isn't real. Some things just happen. It's awfully depressing to believe that EVERY good thing comes from god and EVERY bad thing comes from Stan. If there is an all-powerful, interventionist god, couldn't you blame god for every bad thing that happens in this world? Why does god supposedly cure one kid's cancer, but not another's? Why does god prompt one child to escape danger from a natural disaster, but allows another to die? Why does god help one hungry child find their next meal, but allows another to starve? "God's ways are higher...", "we'll understand in the next life" and other similar explanations are not answers. These kinds of terrible things don't happen because of some powerful god-like bad guy...they just happen.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 06:39PM

Chump, you should change your name to Wise. Boring sacrament meetings gave me time to think thoughts similar to what you put so well into words. If I was God, I’d be ashamed to have created this mess of a world.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 05:57PM

I have seen him dancing on cans of deviled ham in grocery stores all over.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 06:03PM

I remember one story (probably from the Ensign) where a mother explains how Stan gets around & causes trouble, and that he is a spirit and doesn't have a body like Jesus, so the kid says: "You mean Satan has insides but no outsides!"

Yeah, I was hoping for funnier this time...

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 06:18PM

That is one thing I have never understood about the "plan of salvation". We were to come here on earth to be tested and learn and grow, then live with God again if we were worthy. Satan, however, opposed this plan so instead he comes down here to tempt us and do evil and all that.

Here's the thing, though. How were we to be tested without any temptation? How are we to be valiant and strong when there isn't anything to tempt us to be otherwise? All the temptation that we face - lying, cheating, stealing, sexual urges, etc, is because we're tempted by him. So did God really mean for this this to happen - meaning did he know that Satan was going to try and thwart us?

As usual, it doesn't really add up.

Posted by: from the 5th wife ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 11:29PM

Stan is a dumb dumb. all he has to do to thwart the entire plan of salvation is not participate. Satan-1 god the father-0...Satan wins

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 10:29AM

I noticed this as well, and the whole plan, war, Satan, and rebellion thing bothered me. I started to see that there must have been more to the story, more logic to Satan's actions. It bothered me that he was supposed to be acting like a drugged up teenager, going about doing whatever random shit sounds good at the time. In fact, at one point I went so far as to start thinking that Satan must have a chance of winning, or else none of his behavior makes sense, that led me to remember the atonement, supposedly that means god already won, but then I realized that we didn't really have proof that the atonement actually happened.

At this point in my line of reasoning I would usually bring up something thought stopping, like "well, I guess that means I just need to have more faith." But I think it was this kind of thinking that ended my moism eventually.

Posted by: No Mo Lurker ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 06:32PM

Hate to disillusion your dad, but there was actually *gasp* a gay actor on Touched by an Angel. John Dye, who played Andrew, was a friend of a friend. He was very much in the closet during the taping of the show. I guess Satan was at work yet again...

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 06:35PM

Stan got to be a god without ever having to have a body or experience an earthly life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 06:35PM by sonoma.

Posted by: elbert ( )
Date: February 26, 2014 06:40PM

There is no Satan--and not at all in the Old Tes. Read Pagels' The Origin of Satan.
But keep the light on at night who knows what's lurking in the shadows!!

Date: February 26, 2014 07:20PM

Stan = Bigfoot

Can't be proved & doesn't exist.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 12:02AM

Snakes get a bad rap. How would you like to be sunning on a nice warm rock only to be bagged by someone invading your habitat uninvited?

Now if you tell me something that will top Jim Caviezel's being struck in the head by lightning while hanging on the cross, I might be impressed.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 12:24AM

Bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Snakes get a bad rap. How would you like to be
> sunning on a nice warm rock only to be bagged by
> someone invading your habitat uninvited?
>
> Now if you tell me something that will top Jim
> Caviezel's being struck in the head by lightning
> while hanging on the cross, I might be impressed.

Snakes have a much higher iq than hillbillies for another thing.....

>>>>>>>>>>>>Snake-handling preacher/ reality star dies from what else? A snakebite.

The Middlesboro, Kentucky preacher who starred in a reality show about snake-handling died Saturday night after being bitten by a snake.

The Middlesboro Police Department said that at around 8 p.m., they responded to a possible snake bite at the Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus [sic] Name church, but that its pastor, the star of the National Geographic Channel’s Snake Salvation, Jamie Coots, had already left the scene by the time they arrived.

EMS responders then went to Coots’s home, where he was found suffering from what they believed was a snake bite. They attempted to administer treatment, but Coots refused on account of his belief that God would not allow him to die from a snake bite.

[link to www.rawstory.com]

:o)

Date: February 27, 2014 12:08AM

Well ya know stan has a buddy named warren who carries out a lot of the plan of stan.....

warren terror.

really does

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 02:25AM

But if there's no stan, then how can TSCC be "stan's only true church"? :)

Posted by: butterfly727 ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 09:52AM

Something weird that happened... right before I got baptized, my apartment had an infestation of really aggressive flies. I counted about twenty of them. It was really noticeable when the sisters came to visit and I have no idea where the insects came from. And they all died at once, apparently, after I'd been baptized. Stan at work? And if so, who was he trying to get to, me or the sisters, or both? I'm not really serious, but it *was* weird. Never saw anything like that before.

Posted by: Lindy ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 10:18AM

One aggressive fly gets into your apartment. Said fly finds something to lay eggs on. After a day or two you have lots of aggressive flies. Flies don't live long so , suddenly, a few days later no more flies. Voila..and god/satan has got rid of the flies. :)

( This has happened in my home..drives me nuts trying to figure out what died and where so I can figure out where the little buggers are coming from. After a few days lots of dead flies and no more problem) I do keep my house clean...honest !!!

Posted by: butterfly727 ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 10:28AM

Lindy... I believe you! *chuckles*

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 08:47PM

I copied this from another site because I thought it was funny to say about Stan:

[–]iamanevilgenius
"Look at this guy. He's a good guy, this snake. But everybody'd gotta be all "snakes tell people to eat forbidden apples, they are the original evil' or some shit like that. Well damn, sorry the he was tryin to make sure everyone ate healthy, guess it's more important that someone's got those fruit trees all to himself than other people have a balanced diet. And he didn't lie or nothin to no one about the tree, but the snake's the bad guy?"

Date: February 27, 2014 09:48PM

That is funny.

I appreciate everyone's wise and clever replies. You guys are awesome!

Date: February 27, 2014 10:27PM

Best of Stan (south park)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-tqSqOng34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 10:27PM by Shummy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.