Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:44PM

http://www.mormontimes.com/article/20104/Natural-disasters-test-our-faith-and-trust?s_cid=email

He doesn't understand that if there is a God, it makes the catastrophe(s) unfolding in Japan even more pointless and cruel.

Notice his email address at the bottom of his CV

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 04:48PM

"It can easily sound heartless (or pie-in-the-sky) to say it, but, from the standpoint of eternity, even death in a tsunami may someday come to seem a relatively small thing."

Great timing Dan!

He really is an absolute knob...

Posted by: Holy Rower ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 06:36PM

Got that in one, ozpoof.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 06:48PM

I couldn't help myself. I had to poke the bear. I sent him an email. I lived through the Alaskan Earthquake in the 1960s and lost family. He shouldn't talk about things he knows nothing about.

"You very obviously have never experienced a natural disaster yourself, or lost family members in one. I have, and remained a Mormon in spite of it. How much more pain I suffered when I discovered Mormonism was a lie and there is no comfort in it. Talk about what you know. That will keep you quiet. I haven't been around for a while, but to me you will always be "little Danny Peterson."

Jim Huston"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 06:50PM by Jim Huston.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 07:51PM

Seems like typical calls to faith and hope that you would hear in many churches, and not bad advice for those seeking comfort, but these are not words that are exclusive to the mormons and can be found almost anywhere, with greater confidence.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 09:11PM

Early in his piece, Denial talks about "natural evil," meaning quakes and tsunamis. What are we to make of that? An earthquake has no intent, it can't be good or evil.

However, I thought of something when it was reported that the quake was so powerful it could have a slight influence on the angle of the Earth's axis. Could it be that many, many, many earthquakes over eons of time gave our planet its axis tilt? The same tilt that causes the seasons and makes the Earth friendlier to lifeforms?

That would make earthquakes necessary. And if many organisms die off in any particular quake, they would be more than replaced by those creatures that thrive in the resulting favorable climates. Just as if there were no active and controlling supreme being involved.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Danny P. A lot of us have just as much intellect as you, and we're able to exercise it without falling back on cheesy nineteenth century superstitions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.