Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 01:04PM

I sent my TBM siblings and parents the new Topic regarding belief in Mormons getting planets in the afterlife. I understand the article to say believing the couplet about getting your own planet is a cartoonish belief.

My TBM family read the article and they understand it to either be to Sacred or it supports the belief.

I do not understand their thinking. What I am missing? My BRAIN?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 01:10PM

You're missing DOUBLETHINK.

Posted by: saul ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 01:35PM

to TBM's, belief's are "nuanced" in ways that allow for the type of essays to tell the world one thing ("getting" our own planet is cartoonish) and telling members another thing (we participate in the creation process as a council of gods, and we administer the Plan of Salvation for our own spiritual posterity). To a TBM, who actually "owns" the planet is irrelevant... nuance.

It is in fact cartoonish to simplify the belief into the statement that we all get our own planet as gods. The world takes this to mean that we don't actually think we become gods with our own little world, and that satisfies the world.

Christians don't actually believe they get a harp either, but they DO believe firmly that they will be singing praises to God in some strange state of perpetual ecstacy.

When I read the essays (and I don't think anyone but apostates are reading these essays...), I can see how members would not sense a single bit of consternation over what they believe and what the article states. The nuance in the essays is expertly crafted. These guys are good.

Posted by: corwin ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 03:16PM

TBMs have built mental filters to protect them from cognitive dissonance. The essays are carefully written to appease outsiders while at the same time taking advantage of TBM's mental filters so they are received as faith-building.

It's actually a beautiful system, although entirely evil. As Saul says, they're darn good at what they do.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 04:09PM

If I have a painted caricature of Margaret Thatcher, and I tell people it's a picture of Thatcher, am I being dishonest? No.

The Conservative Party apologists might try to argue that it is cartoonish, but that does not mean that it is not Mrs Thatcher.
Yes, it emphasizes certain aspects of her that she might not like attention drawn to, but they are aspects of her. The Thatcher defender might say "her nose was not quite so pointy, so that is not a picture of Thatcher...' but the point is that her nose is a bit pointy, and the caricature is drawing attention to it."

Likewise, the LDS apologist could say "nobody said we believe we get planets."
Maybe not that exact phrase, no, but there are plenty of places (conference talks, lesson manuals) that discuss creating worlds, spiritual procreation, and creating locations for our spirit offspring).
"Getting our own planets" is a caricature that emphasizes things the church would rather not have outsiders focus on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.