Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 02:13PM

One of my college classes is currently focused on literature of the CA Gold Rush. The students are choosing research topics, and one student emailed me to say he wants to write about the Gold Rush pioneer Samuel Brannan. Here's what I've just read online about Brannan:

"Samuel Brannan (1819-1889) was a Mormon elder who came to San Francisco in 1846 in hopes of building a new Mormon settlement there. In 1848, Brannan became the most enthusiastic and successful promoter of "gold fever," making a fortune by selling supplies to miners.

Brannan became California's first millionaire and was excommunicated from the Mormon Church after he refused to share his new fortune with the Latter-Day Saints."

So, a guy who could well afford to tithe said "No thanks!" Good for him. He had apparently been a big-time Mormon as well, leading a ship of other Mormons to CA from NY and having served as an editor in NY of a Mormon newspaper. (Wonder if he was a polygamist too.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 02:15PM

Wasn't he the one who had to hire a bodyguard because Briggie decided to sic the Dannites on him? If it's the same story, he ended up putting them on the run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 02:16PM by lostinutah.

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 02:33PM

I remember learning about this while in college at BYU. Sam Brannan was my LDS hero. For one, I love San Francisco...my favorite city on earth. I was wishing SF was "the place". I always wondered "why the hell did they decide on Utah?!?!".

The more I learned, I realized that the only way that the Mormon's could survive and build themselves up is to be fairly isolated. Utah gave them that opportunity. There would have been to much conflict for them in SF because it was such an attractive place to settle.

Date: March 05, 2014 02:43PM

zenmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The more I learned, I realized that the only way
> that the Mormon's could survive and build
> themselves up is to be fairly isolated. Utah gave
> them that opportunity. There would have been to
> much conflict for them in SF because it was such
> an attractive place to settle.

I don't think they would have been able to impose the WoW, either. There was WAY too much alcohol available in early SF. An interesting documentary on the Gold Rush by PBS' "American Experience" (you can find it online if interested) even gives examples of men from strict Christian (not Mormon) backgrounds who fell in with drinking, whoring, etc. quite easilty given that the atmosphere of San Francisco at that time. It wasn't called "The Barbary Coast" for nothing. :-)

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 02:52PM

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I totally agree about the WOW thing. In SF, there is temptation on almost every corner. I lived there for a long time and always yearn to go back (not necessarily for the temptation :) ).

There is a reason that the LDS Church is almost non-existent in the City It makes Europe look like a "haven for Mormons".

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 05:30PM

They didn't "impose" the WOW in early Utah. It wasn't imposed until the 20th century. Early Utah had mormon run distillaries saloons drugs and bordellos. Wine was drunk in sacrament meeting, and there were spittoons for the men who chewed in the chapels and in the temples.

Date: March 05, 2014 06:27PM

ASteve Wrote:
> They didn't "impose" the WOW in early Utah. It
> wasn't imposed until the 20th century. Early Utah
> had mormon run distillaries saloons drugs and
> bordellos. Wine was drunk in sacrament meeting,
> and there were spittoons for the men who chewed in
> the chapels and in the temples.

Wow! (No pun intended.)

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 03:06PM

There's also one in the "Kingdom of the West" series; I saw a reasonably priced hardbound copy last week, but I'm not telling anyone where it is...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/scoundrels-tale-will-bagley/1102449334?ean=9780874212730

http://www.amazon.com/Scoundrels-Tale-Samuel-Brannnan-Kingdom/dp/0870622870

Mormons will tout this one as a faith-promoter, of course...

From one review:

>Sam Brannan, once seen as a "young lion of Mormonism," seemingly fell from grace over his zeal to see the Latter-day Saints settle in California. However, the Golden State was anathema to Brigham Young, who wished to keep the Saints out of harm's way in the isolation of the Great Basin. As Bagley astutely observes, "Few episodes in Samuel Brannan's life have come down in history as encrusted in myth as the story of his separation from Mormonism" (p.281). His self-imposed parting with the faith in favor of a life in California sealed Brannan's fate as a Mormon. In the nineteenth-century Latter-day Saint community, one who seemingly crossed Brigham Young put his church membership in jeopardy. By opting to go to the West Coast and encouraging others to do the same, Samuel Brannan dictated his own fate as a Mormon. But, as Bagley argues, Brigham Young's failure to answer Brannan's correspondence from California in 1848 left Brannan feeling "betrayed" (p. 281). Brannan was finally disfellowshipped from the faith in 1849, not for the theft of tithing monies but for "murder [i.e., the vigilante hanging of John Jekins in 18511 and apostasy" (p. 324-25).

>Sam Brannan died in San Diego in 1889. He was destitute. His life was marked by great successes and bone-deep failures. Once a Mormon zealot, later an apostate. The clarion of the Gold Rush who died a pauper. Was he a scoundrel? Perhaps.

Date: March 05, 2014 05:15PM

Thanks SL Cabbie! I will point my student to that resource.

Posted by: Bro.R.H. ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 08:44PM

Sam Brannan is also credited as being the one that announced the news of the gold discovery to the world-supposedly riding through the streets of SF shouting "GOLD in the American River!" while holding up a bottle of gold dust. John Marshall, the discoverer of gold in Coloma, was also Mormon. No doubt there was a connection between the two.

Sam Brannan managed to achieve some measure of immortality in that Brannan St. is still a major thoroughfare in the South of Market area of San Francisco.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 09:18PM

I enjoyed watching the recent cable series 'Gold Fever' on Discovery which happened to feature Will Bagley as an on camera historian. Something about Will's whiskered face plus his persona that lends itself well to Mormon themed tv documentaries such as this one and PBS's 'Battalion'. Be sure to see it if you get a chance folks.

Easy to see why Will was drawn to look deeply into Brannan.

Not sure why Cabbie has given Sam the benefit of a doubt. Of course he was a scoundrel. He was a Mormon for one thing but even more so, an early exemplar of Mormon treachery.

He was a killer as well, according to the Discovery series.

Funny how the California gold rush was instigated by Mormons. The ex-Battalioneers who first found gold at Sutter's wanted to keep it mum, but ole Sammy saw it differently.

Brigham hated him for many reasons but methinks it was most of all for SB's claim to the title of first Mormon millionaire.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 09:32PM

I just copy-and-pasted the review...

So many scoundrels here I'm still sorting through, including ones that are still walking around hereabouts. I'll get around to Brannan, and I may well buy a hardbound of the Kingdom of the West volume...

Next time you're up this way we'll make sure you're including in oen of our Outer Darkness get togethers with Will...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 09:33PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 09:38PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
> I just copy-and-pasted the review...
>
> So many scoundrels here I'm still sorting through,
> including ones that are still walking around
> hereabouts. I'll get around to Brannan, and I may
> well buy a hardbound of the Kingdom of the West
> volume...
>
> Next time you're up this way we'll make sure
> you're including in oen of our Outer Darkness get
> togethers with Will...

It's a date.

Further musings......Brigham prolly didn't make the millionaire's club til oh around 1857 with the Fancher windfall.

Ya think?

Posted by: * ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 09:44AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.