Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 10:30PM

More often than not, the foods that are bad for us taste wonderful and the foods that are good for us taste icky or just bland. If there was a loving, omnipotent God, he would make healthy food taste at least as good as unhealthy food, or even better. Or he'd make the delicious foods (sugar, fat, etc.) good for us. But no. So there is either no God, or he is a jerk. ;-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 10:41PM

God the He is a jerk, but God the She provided the sweetness.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 10:42PM

LOL I've thought of this very thing in the past myself.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 10:44PM

I was at this women's luncheon yesterday and the comedian who was entertaining claimed that she knew EXACTLY what we would all look like in heaven. She said "We are all going to be fat. Because wouldn't that just be something - that God wants us fat and we've spent our whole lives fighting God's will?"

You point about the deliciously unhealthy foods might be evidence for her "theory." :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 04:01AM

Before we applied technology to our food, we ate what was good for us. Of course, a lot of us didn't get enough to eat and died. I'll wager that most who starved to death would have gladly chosen an unhealthy grain-based diet over death. Grains feed the masses. This supports your hypothesis, Stray Mutt. No God.

Posted by: Brambleberry ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 02:06PM

Sadly processed foods have totally ruined our tastebuds with their high sodium and sugar levels and flavour enhancers etc. The foods we think are bland probably were a whole lot more pleasant in times gone by…and also we have ruined our crops, we spray them with pesticides, they are not fresh when we get them, and have been irradiated or genetically modified..
back to basics just maybe we would appreciate the foods of the earth more…
My sister is SDA and vegan and never did I have such a delicious meal when I visited her in Australia.Just goes to show our brainset is all wrong..I eat meat but I also cook meatless and stay away from dairy, and can still have flavoursome foods

Posted by: Mark ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 04:19AM

Unhealthy foods (i.e. foods high in fat and sugar) tasting good to us is actually, from my understanding, evidence for evolution. In times of famine, individuals that consumed these foods would store more energy in fat and be able to survive longer. So those with a taste for these foods would be more likely to survive. Natural selection was at work.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I've actually heard anti-evolution religious folks say that "survival of the fittest" would dictate that the people who eat "unhealthy" foods should die out because of natural selection. This is a very simplistic and wrong understanding of natural selection. It's a ridiculous argument when you consider that humans have a lot of control over nature these days. So much that we can actually create "artificial selection" (take chihuahuas. they wouldn't survive without humans' help.) Eating unhealthy foods does not usually stop a person from reproducing. It doesn't negatively affect their genes, if at all (except for a few extreme cases with GMOs perhaps...) So there's no reason to believe that eating unhealthy is, in today's society going to create a reproductive disadvantage for anyone.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 11:02AM

This is an excellent point, basically the nature of "fitness" has evolved over time. We are selecting for entirely different criteria due to the changed environment. Like the chihuahua example, the "cute" dogs are being allowed to continue most, so dogs are not surviving due to ferocity, but due to their capacity to live with humans. These are traits that might have caused death early on, but are preferrable now.

Also, it isn't necessarily what traits make you thrive, just what gets you to the age of reproduction and what gets you laid, without some form of contraceptive getting in the way.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 11:44AM

Survival of those best able to adapt to new environments.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 10:29AM

Heavenly Father has given us the food network in these latter days that we might find ways to make Kale palatable

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 10:52AM

LOL!

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 01:03PM

You've got me there. Back to church I go!

Posted by: Deacon's Clip-on Tie ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 11:38AM

In the preexistence, Lucifer wanted us to naturally desire the foods that would be good for us, just like all the other animal species (notice how other species do not have weight problems?). Under Lucifer's plan, we would not need to choose healthy foods because we would intinctively want it.

Jesus said, "my plan would give humans free agency, and would test their ability to 'choose the right' foods, despite the temptations from all the bad evil food that is created by the flesh of man." We all know what happened after that...

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 11:48AM

"notice how other species do not have weight problems?"

Clearly, you have never owned a cat.

:P

Posted by: Deacon's Clip-on Tie ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 12:42PM

Haha. Good point. Clarification - Species in the wild who have not been corrupted by the worldly temptations that accompany domestication.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 11:54AM

I guess I'm devolving because I love spinach (as long as it's not in ice cream).

Posted by: not in outer darkness ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 02:30PM

My older sister who is in her 60's has always said "When I get my own world I'm going to have all the bad stuff be good for us so we don't get fat."

And what is it the church is now saying about "We don't teach that we'll each get our own world?"

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 02:42PM

We evolved in an environment where many foods that were
nutritious had a slight sugar and fat content-fruits, nuts etc.
Thus our taste buds became partial to sugars and fats.

Now we have found ways to process the sugars and fats so that we
can get extra sugar and less of the other nutrients. A Three-
Musketeers bar is unlike anything found in nature.

Our horrible diets are evidence of evolution, not of God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.