Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pryingopenmy3rdeye ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 05:46PM

My still believes that she can "save" me. Our families both have a long history with being in the LDS faith, and I'm kind of worried of what she will do when she realizes she can't get me back.

I could care less if she wants to stay with the faith because I love her and I'm not worried about her after life beliefs, unless it is like my parents who are full on racists because of the curse of ham crap.

I'm wondering if anyone out here can tell me their experience with their spouse still being a very active member.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 06:55PM

Our resident authority on this is SuzyQ#1.

Her body of work supporting those living in mixed marriages exists here on RfM and I hope some of her postings have been archived.

Her spouse recently died, but she maintained a happy marriage for 40 years through the application of specific principles of tolerance and respect for one another.

Plus I think the commitment to partnership being stronger than the commitment to either church is key, but I'll let Suzy comment.

Hope she sees this, if not, email her.

Best

Anagrammy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 06:56PM by anagrammy.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:07PM

is that the apostate not be cast as the unfaithful unbeliever to the children, but rather a beloved parent with differing beliefs. Not "no belief" but "differing beliefs."

The former labeling is dismissive and the last offers children a lesson in acceptance of others as good people even though they do not accept Joseph Smith.

Big difference.

Best

Anagrammy

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 07:17PM

My husband takes comfort from a scripture (I can't remember the reference) in the D & C that states that those who were lost due to being offended would be reclaimed in the hereafter, or some such wording. It makes him happy knowing I'll be reclaimed. I haven't told him I don't want to be reclaimed and would decline the offer, but I'm not to concerned about it either since it's all make believe.

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 10:47PM

This "offending" stuff is really weird with TSCC. Why is that always the first assumption when someone leaves? "You must've been offended?" No. Just read the church history and realized it's utter nonsense, but nobody (except for perhaps JS ;) offended me.

Maybe should start telling people: "Yeah, JS offended me!" It would make disaffection easier for them to comprehend. "Ah, he was offended! I knew it!"

Posted by: dupsterfnuberdork ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 07:43PM

Experiences vary as we are all so different and have different spouses. Family on both of our sides are all active LDS. My wife used to think I could be "saved", but I think she has given up hope on saving me (in this life anyway). That is good and bad. I still haven't figured out what she really thinks, but in time we'll see. We've been working on this for years and still haven't come to place that we are both comfortable with. We have kids so that makes our efforts to work it out that much more important for us both.

It is not an easy path. Much to consider and much to work through. Good luck to you.

Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 10:10PM

My DW and I are in this same boat. Generally, I (we?) go along with what SuzyQ#1 has written about on this board. Occasionally, I need to make a gentle reminder to DW about article #11. There is also scripture in the NT about a non believing spouse being saved through the believing one... I think its 1 Corinthians 7, v13 and v14. If she cares about reading it...

Good Luck! ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.