Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 08:00PM

kentish asks:
"Yuko, what is the best help we can give in the problems in Japan? I see the tragic pictures from Japan in our newspapers and on TV and feel so helpless to be of any real help. Who would you suggest is the best aid group to donate money to?"

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,139395

I have been pondering the same thing, kentish. Fake "charity" syndrome is popping up and it is necessary to be cautious. I don't just reflexively give to the Red Cross either. I tend to go with smaller, often local charities, if possible.

I posted this blurb the other day and still like the “with you Japan” sentiment:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,136354,137644#msg-137644

This weekend I’m taking a walk along the shoreline in a fishing village nearby, a community event to help raise funds for Japanese relief. The village has long-time Japanese connections. Besides being a favourite haunt of mine, it is as close as I can get to Japan and to showing the "with you" spirit.

Two links about the walk (I note a time discrepancy**):

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/198222--charity-walk-in-steveston-to-help-quake-victims-in-japan

http://gulfofgeorgiacannery.com/archives/5433

Excerpt from 2nd link:

"The historic town of Steveston and its community has strong ties with Japan, as many Japanese immigrated to Steveston to participate in the fishing industry along the mouth of the Fraser river. Many Japanese men and women worked for the canneries in Steveston as cannery workers and fishermen. Their participation over the past hundred years on the West coast has contributed to not only the development of the fishing industry, but also the growth of a strong community that is Steveston. As such, many Japanese-Canadians here have strong historical ties to this place, not to mention a deep seeded heartfelt connection to their ancestral roots in Japan, especially at this time."

Link to article about dispersing the funds raised:

http://www.stevestoncommunitysociety.com/

“Funds will be used to adopt a Japanese fishing village in Sendai through our Sister City in Wakayama, Japan. All the funds will flow through the Steveston Buddhist Temple directly to the village once we have secured the administration of the funds.”

-----

In another life, I would not have been able to be part of this due to the connection with the Buddhist Temple, no matter how small, (because, aiiiiiiiii, it’s “not Christian”). Some years back I decided to lead with humanity rather than isolationist or non-compassionate doctrines, from whichever church or group. I feel more like me now, going by feel and not by dictate. I'm not saying I don't look at sources and associations (I always do) but I'm rational and thoughtful and inclusive now about my choices, rather than being dogma-driven. That's the way things make sense to me.

In thinking about the question posted by kentish, I wanted to say that I’m being careful to give to local charities with a direct connection to Japan and with an area of known need, where most of the funds raised will be given quickly to those who really need it, now.

It’s impossible for most of the outside world to be feet on the ground in Japan but there are still ways to help, financially (through a valid charity), and/or by sending our good thoughts to help shore up people’s morale by showing that we care, which is the least we can do to "be with" fellow humans in times of crisis. (As one desperate Libyan woman pleaded in a recent interview, “Does anybody care?”). Yes, we do care and I wish that all affected people would know that, even if that’s all we can do. I hope the Japanese people don't have to ask, "Does anybody care?" (Or the people in the Mid-East, those in Haiti and New Zealand, and all the places afflicted by natural disasters far and near).

I'm doing all I can in my own little way to show solidarity and concern. There is power in each of us doing what we can. Little acorns-big oaks, as they say.

Do something - but wisely when it comes to giving $$$ to any person or group claiming to be collecting for this or that or the other disaster relief. A few dollars making it to the hands that need them can make a lot of difference!

With you Japan, indeed!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 08:12PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.