Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 09:14PM

It is funny, no matter where in the world you are, you can pick out missionaries.

I'm in the back of a cab, driving down a small community road on my way back to the boat in Vitoria, Brasil and see two guys walking down the road ahead of us. I see black slacks, white shirts, short hair and think "missionaries". As soon as we pass them, I turn and see the nam tags. Bingo!! Funny how I didn't even have to see their name tag to start. (Maybe it was the spirit talking to me... LOL)

And when I lived in Costa Rica, my wife and I were walking home from the store and see this young guy, on a Monday of course, wearing shorts and a t-shirt with this nam tag on. My wife, stops, taps him on the shoulder and asks "you enjoying your mission I see". He turns read and asks, "How did you know." I laughed and pointed to his name tag. He was on his way back up to wherever he was doing his thing, but we told him if he ever came down to Jacó to stop by the house - but he said, "they don't let us teach down here, too many transient people here... and I'm not really supposed to be here anyway."

Either way, name tag or back of the head, you can spot them out a mile away.

Tchaú from Brasil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 09:21PM

We didn't wear name tags in my mission! (Thank whatever deity you like!) I consider myself fortunate in that regard at least. My MPs stated philosophy was that people should be able to tell we're missionaries without the name tag by our dress and demeanor.
[edit to add} ... and of course we still stuck out and were obviously missionaries just from the white shirts, etc., even without the nametag!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 09:22PM by Scott.T.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.