Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 09:35PM

I was reading the post about someones wife getting released for teaching false doctrine and one of the responses was that she got chastised EVERY WEEK for something she said wrong.

I have been teaching EQ and Sunday School for years, and I occasionally say off the wall stuff just to make people uncomfortable, or stuff to make people thinking going outside of what the manual specifically says.

I have NEVER been pulled aside and accused of teaching false doctrine, even when the Bishop and his counselors have known I am a NOM.

Are women much more judgmental? Or do they fear me because I could pounce anyone in the ward using historical or doctrinal 'facts'

Of course they NEVER call on me to speak, but that doesn't stop me from getting up during testimony meeting and baring testimony of Christ without ever mentioning JS or Monson or that the church is true. People come up afterwards and rave about how spiritual it was for them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 09:43PM

And women are gossipy and tattle a lot.

This is a bit ot, but when my bil was a bishop, he asked his RS pres. to cut her hair. She had really long hair and they live in the same town as a big group of polygs. Apparently he didn't want people confusing his RS pres. with the local sister wives. The woman was obedient and got her hair cut the next day.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 10:37PM

I have been inactive for over 15 years--but the last 4 years I did teach the lesson that always included the "sexual education" stuff. That was alway so much fun. As you all know, the lesson manuals had 1-1/2 pages of info. I used ONLY my old Ensigns (recent years) and I asked people to participate. I never used anything but church materials--and often the Ensigns used were conference Ensigns.

Every damn week (once a month), one of the R.S. presidency (and I taught under 2) would pull me aside and tell me I was NOT TO USE ANYTHING but the manual.

I guess I should have just stood up front and read what was in it and let it go at that. I never taught false or questionable doctrine. I was a TBM at the time. I went inactive not long afterwards because my ex was cheating with men and the ex. sec. I've told the story many times. I was told BY THE BISHOP that my ex would be one of the next two bishops. I thought, "over my dead body"--and I went inactive.

When I was giving one of my lessons on teaching our kids about sex, I made the statement that maybe they should teach sex education in school since WE AS MORMONS WERE FAILING to teach our children about sex at home. The R.S. president (who was a friend) chastised me in front of the whole group. Thank goodness there was a woman who taught middle school who raised her hand and told the class that having taught in middle school, I was correct. This stupid R.S. president STILL attempts to be my friend (in a condescending way since I'm no longer a mormon and my ex is gay)--she is a bitch of the worst kind. I posted about her special valentine she sent recently.

Anyway--I never taught anything against church doctrine EXCEPT that one statement, but it NEVER FAILED--every lesson I ever taught, I was told to STICK TO THE MANUAL and use NO OTHER MATERIAL.

AND all the R.S. women in the class would always compliment me on my lessons . . . go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 10:38PM by cl2.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 10:37PM

"It is not what doctrine you teach,it is the gospel intelligence level of those in the classroom".

EXAMPLE
I was a well prepared gospel doctrine teacher for a decade or more. Taking class attendance from 6 couples to a regular 35 to 40 attendees. Eventually having the ward split the class to 2 x 35 attendees, with me and a great friend of mine teaching paralell lesson manuals.

The only person who ever got me in trouble was the guy who thought he knew every mormon doctrine to the Nth degree.. When he told me I was teaching false doctrine, I brought out reference after reference from Church prophets. He was totally stewed and went to the Bishop's office after sunday school and I was called in and called to repentance for teaching some things that this dear brother had never heard before.

This was near the end, and although it bothered me a little, it was too late by then.

JB

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 03:51AM

When I taught in RS, I would sometimes say things that were a tiny bit beyond kosher, or ask questions, just to make people THINK.

My RS pres tore into me like a shark in a feeding frenzy. She informed me that people were "not there to think, not there to discuss, but there to learn correct doctrine!" I was so shocked - truly stunned - at her anger and vehemence that I told the bishop I would not be teaching any more. And I didn't.

Somebody tried to give me a calling in Primary after that, and I just said "no."

The very idea that good little Mormons aren't supposed to THINK was terribly offensive to me. If "the glory of God is intelligence," then why aren't we meant to use it?

That episode was the beginning of the end for me.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 04:18AM

Women are far bigger gossips then men. I was released from my calling teaching RS for teaching "outside" the manuel. I have no doubt certain women could hardly wait to report me to the bishop, and did.

I doubt men do this kind of thing to their peers. I was always the one in my ward asking controversial questions or making comments that were not welcome, wanting to cause people to think, including myself. Curious was my middle name.

I was well liked by most, but not by any of the Nazi mo's, male or female. I think now I have always had somewhat of a rebelious and skeptical nature, and just never really knew it. I always hated it when people tried to pull bullshit off as the truth, or worse yet hide the truth with outright lies, and I did not hesitate to call people out,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 04:19AM by think4u.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 06:18AM

Those damn apostate women...

...it's no wonder they're not allowed the Priesthood and have to veil their faces when prayers are said properly...

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 09:49AM

No, it's because you're a man.

Any mormon man can say anything in the meeting and the hero-worship is so palpable in mormon meetings that all the lemmings will nod their heads in agreement and men can get away with damn near anything.

Mormon women do not have the priesthood, and therefore, no discernment, so we are just dumb wombs to be ignored, directed, or corrected.

I cannot tell you how many times I've been in a conversation with a group of people made up of both genders and I will break into the conversation with a new idea that builds on something someone else said. If the men have been dominating the conversation, they will ignore me as if I hadn't even spoken. Sometimes, a few minutes later, some man will say the exact same thing I'd just said and suddenly, all the men start clapping him on the back verbally and act as if that was the first time they'd ever encountered such brilliance. That actually happens to me a couple times a week and is not remotely exclusive to mormons.

However, in your case, men always have more credibility and authority and can therefore get away with saying whatever they want in classes, but women are to be kept in line and controlled.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 10:05AM

I was chastized for teaching deep doctrine a couple of times. Once I was pulled aside by the RS Prez . . . once the "bitchup" himself.

I eventually apostized. Go figure.

;o)

Posted by: notion ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 10:34AM

I taught both SS and RS for several years and it was the SS president who got on my case several times. He wanted me to teach from the manual only and ask only the questions there. By the way, those are the stupidest questions ever ...

He was probably upset I didn't want to go out with him; he even called me drunk couple times to 'discuss the lessons'. I was quite naive at the time and it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't make sense out of anything he was saying :D I couldn't imagine mormons would get drunk too!

Anyway, I think it's the pleasure of having authority over someone else combined with their ego.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.