Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 03:24PM

I am newer to this board only posted once before. I have newly found out what the church has lied about and covered up etc. you all know what I mean. Because my mother is still a true TBM and even though I have spoke to her over many things I have found she seems to not care. I think maybe because of her age and her fear like faith she probably will never change. I try to keep the peace so I dont antagonize her much about the teachings. I do still attend though I have found it to be harder hearing the teachings knowing what I now know. But anyhow the missionaries were helping my mom do a little moving a furniture cause shes widowed and remodeling I was there and so was my younges who is only 5. My lil girl is sweet loving kind happy to help etc. and I think part of it is she was born with these qualities and the other part is I feel like as long as your children know they are loved and you encourage them for the most part they will do okay in this life. Well one of the little sis miss. said " Wow she is so grounded and seems to really be on the right track!" Of course I just smiled and agreed but what do they think a 5 year old would be? It just seemed very strange maybe I'm looking for things to fuss about but that was crazy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 05:01PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 03:36PM

I totally misunderstand the title of your post. I thought you were going to say that a sis missionary got upset at your child and "grounded" her! LOL!

While I do agree it was an odd thing to say, I don't think I would take it in a negative way if I were you. Maybe it was just her weird way of saying your daughter is really mature for a 5 year old.

Did the sister know you are not a believer? You know, it could have also been the cluelessness of thinking a non-believer couldn't possibly raise such a sweet, well mannered, smart child. LOL!

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 03:56PM

Yep, I thought the sister missionary tried to punish the daughter by grounding her.

bait & switch!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 05:02PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 03:36PM

O' well thank you sis miss.. Isn't it wonderful how a non-members can be?

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 03:38PM

She has no rights to do such a thing! She's not the parent!

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 03:47PM

Southern Idaho Inactive, the sister missionary said the child was "grounded", like meaning she has her feet firmly on the ground and a good head on her shoulders. She didn't mean the child was grounded, like punishment. I thought the exact same thing when I first read this post. I thought the poster meant that the missionary tried to punish her child! I don't think the missionary meant it in a bad way, it was just a strange thing to say about a 5 year old she didn't really know.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 03:56PM

In the context that this Missionary used it towards the child, she was paying a compliment to your child about her personality.

The Sister Missionary was impressed with your daughter.

The only way to ask why she commented that would be to ask her "Why do you say that?".

Why did this comment bother you?

RMM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 05:03PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 03:58PM

Well when you think about how naiive and foolish most missionaries are, it is no wonder that a 5 year old seems grounded to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 05:03PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 04:10PM

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 04:05PM

Strange choice of words. Well behaved, helpful, a pleasure to be around, but grounded seems like something to use for an older child/teen who is much more independent.

I also thought you were going to say the missionary attempted to discipline your child. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 05:04PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 05:06PM

DO NOT CUSS IN THE SUBLINE. And those that replied, next time please take the cussing out of your own posts.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 05:53PM

What did I say? I didn't even change the subline and I don't recall using a cuss word at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 05:53PM by omreven.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 06:39PM

Question Susan: I thought it was ok (cursing inside the post, that is), so long as a caveat was added to the post title indicating that ribald language was contained in the post itself.

If it's never ok, then I've been a bad boy...

Hope not.

Posted by: Notloggedin ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 11:44PM

I think there was a wtf in there, which is taboo for a subline, amirite?

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 04:12PM

Are you aware of the other meaning of grounded? Because in the context of the title, it meant something completely different than what was meant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 05:04PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 06:44PM

Mormons are sometimes a little socially inept.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 10:04PM

Children do fine if loved but not indoctrinated with crazy religious ideas. Love and nurture is all. Religious indoctrination is wrong and we'd do well to break the spell. Teach practical life lessons, forget the so-called eternities. Those are unknown even by those who claim special knowledge. It'
s a scam calculated to get you to pay tithing, and nothing more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.