Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notyosister ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 10:19PM

So criminal charges may be filed against the Brown family, reality-TV polygamists. Yeah, they're deluded, clearly, but here's my question:

Was anyone else, as a Young Woman in the mainstream LDS church, told that we should "prepare our hearts" to accept polygamy again someday, as it is an eternal principal (essentially on hiatus?)

If that was/is common underground/subtext teaching in the mainstream church, then isn't the Lehi PD full of hypocritical beans for prosecuting them to appease "the" church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: March 17, 2011 11:11PM

The Utah prosecutor has refused to prosecute the Browns (who have now moved to Nevada) and I suspect that is how the LDS Church wants it. Had they been prosecuted I suspect the anti-cohabitation laws would have been overturned on appeal. I think the LDS Church fears such a probability as well and for that reason does not want any prosecution of cases like the Brown's.

Legalization of the Brown's style of polygamy (which ironically is just what happened when the prosecutor refused to prosecute the Browns) places the LDS Church in the position of having no legal reason NOT to practice the new and EVERLASTING covenant of its 132d Doctrine & Covenant. The LDS Church knows that a return to polygamy would be a tacit admission that the FLDS and AUB were right all along. Why would a member want to stay with the ever changing LDS when one could choose the Community of Christ, that never accepted polygamy, or the FLDS and AUB who never abandoned it? The One TRUE Church can't have it both ways.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.