Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 01:21PM

So Melchizedek priesthood holders can move mountains with faith, my question is, why hasn't this ever happened in the history of Mormonism? I mean, there isn't one example of Brigham Young, or any of his apostles moving a single little old mountain so that their people could get into Utah easier. Don't tell me there wasn't a need either, just read the stories of the handcart companies, and you will find out that there was at least one mountain that the Lord needed moving, that would have saved a bunch of those guys their lives. Well, I guess maybe God just needed them dead, since it was mostly men who died in the handcart companies, and Brigham needed a free and clear path to all those widows.

There is at least one other example. I am reading a book about the Devil's Brigade, a special forces unit that fought in WWII that was composed of experienced outdoorsmen from the western United States, and the Canadian wilderness. There was a story in the book about how a well liked Mormon kid from Utah got killed in an assault on a German mountain fortification. The reason they were attacking said mountain fortification was because it overlooked the allied line of advance in Italy, and the allies couldn't move up along the coast, without getting pounded by artillery from said mountain. Problem solved, the Mormon kid could have used his magical priesthood powers, and either moved the mountain, or at least brought the side of it down. Well, maybe he was only an aaronic priesthood holder.

They also mentioned how he had never drank a drop of alcohol in his life, or smoked, but was so nervous about the attack that he had sampled both in the hours waiting for the assault, so that was probably the reason God had to let him live out his last few hours in such fear, instead of inconveniencing a bunch of actual nazis.

The Mormons probably could have also used God moving a couple of mountains to block the way of all the Federal Investigators travelling to Utah to look into the whole polygamy thing. Still nothing. It's almost as if priesthood powers are just pretend, and that Mormons can't really will things to happen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 01:38PM

Your last sentence pretty well summed it up.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 01:48PM

That always made me feel inadequate. I always felt if I was a better person, I would have more faith.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 01:56PM

They practice on moving folding chairs. Then tables. Mountains are further down on the list.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 02:26PM

Oh but MPH holders do move mountains....... mountains of tithing money from one account to another.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 02:27PM

It's just another way to make people feel inadequate.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 02:30PM

do bulldozers, excavators, scrapers count?

how about... DY-NO-MITE!?

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 02:31PM

Come on now....give the church a little credit.

Mountains they have moved. Mountains and mountains of evidence that they do not want to fall into the wrong hands. That vault in that there canyon be full of diaries, letters, documents, etc. that the church is not interested in the average person viewing.

My guess is that they've given church jobs to peons to move this stuff to safety telling them that it was important geneology info that needed to be put away for safe keeping.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 02:36PM

Open-pit mines aside, God can't allow Mormons to move mountains because then people wouldn't need faith anymore. Of course, it would seem faith wasn't as important in, say, the days of Moses.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 03:56PM

There is a molehill in my yard. I would like to see someone move it with priestcraft.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 04:19PM

I move mole hills with "12 gauge craft".....a contraption that fires a shotgun shell down the hole when they try and push more dirt to close it. Works everytime within 24 hrs or less. Come to think of it, I think the mole moves a bit too.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 04:16PM

But what about the mormon guy that was trying to get disability, that pushed the boulder off it's millions of years old perch at Goblins Natl. Park?

Maybe not a mountain, but doesn't that count for something?

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 04:20PM

...they practice re-moving brown stains from the sacred toilet bowels.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.