Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AddEm ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 04:19PM

Was just bumming around LDS.org and came across the ward building maintenance page. Watched the video and it made me sick. Just repetition over and over how having members clean is not for "monetary purposes". So bizarre to this exmo. I never really questioned building cleaning as a form of free labor. Now its all becoming clear. You can see the cognitive dissonance in the eyes of these people in the video come through as they explain this ridiculous practice. Check it out if you're curious...

https://www.lds.org/callings/meetinghouse-care/effective-leadership/ward-building-rep?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 04:50PM

Here is a quote...

Begin with Prayer - The opportunity to clean the meetinghouse is not about saving money; it is about building testimonies and showing respect to the Lord. Because the opportunity is spiritual, it is appropriate to start each cleaning with prayer. This helps members feel the Spirit, focus on why they are there, and act appropriately in the building.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 04:52PM

I would pray for God to clean so I could go home already! Ugh, what a waste of time! If they really cared about people, they would hire back professional janitors. The job gets done, someone gets paid, and the members have more time to work on their lessons or talks for SM.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 07:50PM

....missionaries screwing off while assigned to CLEAN!!!

...DISGUSTING!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NnwaHUZMHh0/TLtS8tVJsVI/AAAAAAAADzc/43G9wBEuUyk/s1600/DSCN9999.JPG

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 07:52PM

Actually, they're not bugging people about their religion. I'd rather they holed up in their churches.

Date: April 04, 2014 04:55PM

"It reminds me (sniff) that I'm being remembered (sniff)."

No, dumba$$, it reminds you that you're a complete chump!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 04:55PM by Devoted Exmo.

Date: April 04, 2014 05:06PM

meanwhile while they're at the chapel cleaning up, their own house is suffering because TSCC is more important!

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 05:09PM

Our chapel is dirty and smelling particularly the bath rooms. I take a pocket kleenex pack because some times there is no 1-ply butt-wipe paper.

Brother, so you are going to read the BOM in the bathroom, good man!

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 05:20PM

It's not _just_ about the money. It also allows them to make their regular claims about their expansive good works. Like this one . . .

http://americamagazine.org/issue/5136/columns/mormons-and-charity

"On average, Mormons dedicate nine times as many hours per month (nearly 36 hours) to volunteer activities than other Americans do. The comparison stands up even after one subtracts from the Mormon totals the work of young, full-time Mormon missionaries."

And lets not forget these hours likely include home teaching, and many other church-related activities like SS teaching, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 05:21PM by Tall Man, Short Hair.

Date: April 04, 2014 05:39PM

good point. And btw, that's really sick. Boosting the #'s of your volunteers is just so wrong

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 05:35PM

I grew up with the Stake Pres. in the video, Steven Doty. This was up in Portland 8th, then 16th Wards. I was the same age as his younger sister, Lori. His mom Corinne taught me piano. His Mom often sang in a Trio with my Mom. They even sang together in a Stake Music Program that was recorded and pressed onto LP records. That was back in the day when Mormons had fun activities.

I don't know why I'm telling you this...

Date: April 04, 2014 05:38PM

welp, we know you're legit now. I was really wondering before ;) (totally kidding)

Date: April 04, 2014 07:19PM

Lol!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 07:39PM

I grew up in 7th ward.

Posted by: Ladedah ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 05:44PM

Why did the church let such an unattractive yellow teeth, facial hair wearing, casually dressed obviously not very intelligent person represent them on their official website? What is going on? I'm expecting smiles, white teeth, clean shaven, perfection by gosh! I was unable to watch for more than 15 seconds because it was torturously boring, gag.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 05:48PM

What can possibly be spiritual about cleaning a toilet?

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 06:00PM

There's nothing spiritual about it! Its just another chore to do!

Date: April 04, 2014 05:48PM

did anyone notice that in the video, the people talking keep saying "I didn't volunteer for this, I was assigned" (???) They say it almost like a plea for help or SOS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 05:49PM by Tupperwhere.

Date: April 04, 2014 05:59PM

Yes, and the part about always assigning the dependable do-be's with the losers. Yeah, more chump tests.

Date: April 04, 2014 07:19PM

Can anyone remember who's plan was it was to be told what to to, and who's plan was free agency?

Seems theses morgbots have forgotten.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 05:56PM

I have a very close family member that was a church building janitor for 20+ years. Not only did they force this person into early retirement to save money but they also cheated them out of their accrued vacation time on the way out the door.

Are you an active member on the fence? Wake up.

Date: April 04, 2014 06:02PM

that's the part that gets me. Why even brag and make a video about this knowing that you put paid people out of a job? It's just sick.

Posted by: Clearheaded ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 07:36PM

This makes me crazy- I had a childhood friend whose mother was divorced, and cleaning the church was a great job for her- it makes me sick.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 06:02PM

Isn't volunteering for something much more noble than being assigned to do something? How many people in TSCC volunteer to do anything? They have to be told to do things and they do it out of obligation rather than a feeling of wanting to help. I had callings I hated but there may have been other things that would have been something worth volunteering to do where I could have been helpful based on my skills or something that I just darn felt would help another person.

I am not saying that no one in TSCC ever volunteers. In my own family I can think of very few things that were done completely outside of TSCC that were a volunteer effort.

Look at Scouts as an example. LDS people are called aka assigned to be scout leaders. Outside of TSCC I would think that it's generally a volunteer effort. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Date: April 04, 2014 06:03PM

you're totally right. I would have given the video more credibility if they had said people volunteered for this. But no, it was an "assignment" (emphasis on the ASS in assignment)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 07:07PM

Date: April 04, 2014 07:12PM

ha! That's a good new word.

Date: April 04, 2014 07:31PM

They were volusigned because they were loved. . .

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 10:02PM

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: April 04, 2014 07:44PM

The opportunity to work my butt off is not about the money, it is about building my testimony and showing respect. No, money isn't important to me at all. Not at all. My job opportunity is spiritual. I don't need money. I pray before going to work, not to earn money, but to feel the spirit and to focus on why I'm there (it is not to make money) and to act appropriately when I'm in the building--not that it helps me to get paid.

"Methinks the cult protests too much."

If it's not about the money, then why are members voluntold to give the cult 10% of their income--and not allowed to receive the best temple blessings unless they do so?

Posted by: gizmo ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 12:16AM

"This church is not a church of volunteerism, its a church of assignments and return and report???????"

Wow! That is scary quote!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 01:01AM

but they are also expected to find meaning and enjoyment in this task.

Members are being taken advantage of AND emotionally manipulated.

The fact is that the church IS saving money by not having janitors, whether or not that is their claimed motive. And from what I can gather, having members clean is NOT filling them with joy and devotion, but resentment and/or guilt.

So it's a win-win for the church! They get to keep their money AND promote more guilt!

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 07:08AM

Dear Heavenly Father,

This morning we thank thee for the opportunity and blessing to be here at thy meetinghouse. We thank thee for the privilege of being alive in these latter-days with modern day cleaning equipment. We thank thee for the beautiful chapel which thou has provided for us so that we may come each week to worship and learn of thy ways.

We thank thee for those who sacrifice their time to be here this morning.

Bless us with the spirit of cooperation; with the spirit of happiness; with the spirit of love that harmony and unity may fill our hearts as we undertake this important work.

Bless us with safety that no one will be hurt. Help us to have a cheerful attitude and remember to keep our hearts full of gratitude for all that thou doest bless us with.

Bless those who enter into the bathroom catacombs that they may take precaution to avoid harmful bacteria, contaminants, and other harmful substances while they clean.

And finally, bless our minds as we hear the sucking sound of the vacuums trying to gather every last speck of dust and dirt, that it may not remind us of the great monetary sucking sound at church headquarters as they profit financially from our labors.

And bless us that we may all go home in safety. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.