Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 12:06AM

I came home from work tonight and noticed what looked like wedding invitation taped to my front door. I thought "Really? Have they sunk this low?" It wasn't even in an envelope. I got closer and realized it was an invitation to a bridal shower - it was just a picture of the couple like on a wedding invitation. Here's the kicker:

- It was a shower for the bride-to-be of the son (who I don't know) of the current (I think) RS president. Engaged to a girl I've never met.
- The party is given by her good friend who I don't like and who hasn't deigned to speak to me since I quit going to church.

Here's my question. What in the name of all that is holy on the internet and beyond are they thinking? WHY would I want to go to this event? It isn't church event. I barely knew these people a few years ago and I'm even less familiar with them now. Why would they think I'd want to spend money to sit in a room with a bunch of old biddies, half of whom are slopping sugar all over for me with all the sincerity of a Vegas hooker trying to land a John and the other half ignoring me to teach me a lesson. And while I appreciate learning how to get b*tches to ignore you, why would I subject myself to that? Did they think I'd feel included? Why would I want to be included with that crowd? Did they think I'd feel special and wanted? Shudder! Did they think I'd feel offended if I wasn't invited? I don't KNOW these people. This isn't even a ward activity like the lame evening of music RS invitation which was the last bit of recycle bin filling they left. What? What? What?

Every time I think I have a plan to tolerate Mormons based on my understanding that their judgment is compromised by the brainwashing, the powerful arrogance that is a result of the Corp's methods of using the pride/shame cycle to harness them to a religious plow and every time I think I have a grasp of the extent of their social backwardness, they do something that makes me say What? What? What? There is no figuring out their minds. Even when you think you've got it, they burst out with something else. I guess they are never boring, bless their confused little hearts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 12:13AM

They think taping a wedding invitation onto a work place bulletin board is a good idea, what else would you expect for the bridal shower?

Date: April 12, 2014 12:39AM

I know - When I married, I told my mom I'd better not see my wedding invitation on any bulletin board anywhere. I never understood why people did that - nothing says "We forgot you but come anyway" like a bb invite.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 09:05AM

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They think taping a wedding invitation onto a work
> place bulletin board is a good idea, what else
> would you expect for the bridal shower?

This is one of my pet peeves too. What do they expect? Am I invited? Am I just supposed to contribute to a group gift?

So, I figure if they can't stoop to actually give me a personal invite, I can't stoop to show up or give a gift.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 08:46AM

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:00AM

+1000

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:03AM

I remember donating for a wedding gift as a group in our ward -- everyone put in $5.00 -- when I looked on the card to read my name it wasn't there. I guess the person collecting the money had sticky fingers?

Same with tithing. We donated one year in cash and at tithing settlement the cash didn't appear on the receipt.
Nice move Bishop ________ in Provo.

(some day I will say your name on this forum.)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 08:55AM

Fishing for gifts, maybe?

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:14AM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fishing for gifts, maybe?

that is the only goal of a TBM couple who invites random people from the ward.

Posted by: Eliza Snow job ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 08:56AM

Because the goal of a Mormon wedding is to accumulate as many gifts as possible. Most Mormons send out between 300-500 wedding invitations. Do you really think all those people are good friends?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:15AM

When my TBM cousin got married, first thing that got went through was the ward list. Then friends.

Then the announcement was in the ward bulletin to come to the reception. In the gym.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:34AM

I get a wedding invitation a year from distant relatives on the other side of the country, with whom I've never been properly introduced. I've never even heard of some of them. I think they're casting a net as wide as possible to get presents, like Stray Mutt said. My extended family stopped talking to me years ago when they found out I left the Church, and it's a bit unseemly to send me a card now that they want something.

I don't think marriage covenants really mean that much to Mormons. The kids in these pictures look like teens, and I would be surprised if very many of them are still together in 15-20 years after these wham bam thank you ma'am Mormon weddings.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:38AM

Cal Girl,

You make me laugh sooooo hard!!!

I spit coffee down my shirt.

'recycle bin filler'

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:41AM

We are low class, grasping Mormons with no sense of decent manners or judgment.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:42AM

We had new mormon neighbors move in about a year ago. Mid Fifties- 6 kids, 3 still living at home. One son, (not living at home- never met him) was getting married 2 weeks after they moved in. We had met the new neighbors twice in two weeks- we got a wedding invitation. Nowhere but Utah.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:05AM

On my honor I will do my best

to grab all I can and screw all the rest

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:11AM

if not longer. Obviously, I don't know many ward members. I get shower invitations and wedding reception invitations left on my door all the time. People I've never even heard of.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:17AM

I hear stories of Mormon brides receiving $1.00 gifts like a dented can or peaches or a scrub brush wrapped in a comic strip instead of wrapping paper? Perhaps those who are invited don't know the bride or groom and have too many invitations to even buy a decent dish towel or set of coasters?

I've always said it's nicer to give a decent greeting card than an extremely cheap and homely gift.

Years ago for my wedding, some Mormon relatives sent me outdated re-gifted stuff which was unusable. I say don't give gifts that are broken, housed in very tattered faded and dusty boxes or gifts with key parts missing.

Date: April 12, 2014 11:22AM

We went to return some of our wedding gifts because we got multiples of certain items (like pillows - we must have gotten a dozen pillows) and we took along this tiny silver-plate tray we had no use for, hoping to find where it was purchased and return it. We found out is was the free-gift-with-purchase of a silverware set that had been on sale in one store several months earlier. The woman at the store felt so sorry for us, having such cheap relatives, that she gave us $10.00 for it anyway. We still laugh about that.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:25AM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:27AM

That was very, very entertaining CA girl. I have nothing to add.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:47AM

I agree that Mormonism is a whole other culture, which knows few boundaries. I think the larger problem -- for Mormons and no-mos alike -- is the constant invites, which involve donations for weddings, bridal showers, etc. at church and work.

Someone you barely know is always having a baby, has a sick sister, brother or dog, or some other cause and trying to tap into the pool of potential donors around them.

I have no problem with making some charitable contributions, but it has started to get out of hand.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.