Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: this alien ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 03:49PM

got an email from my mormon family member...

Date:04/07/2014 9:31 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: This Alien
Subject: Mormons Are Changing :)

Alien,

Please don’t be offended but I thought you might be interested in this …

[the rest of the message was a quote from a gay mormon blogger:] Guest post from a new—and very amazing—friend, [redacted]. This article is so wonderful it doesn’t even need an introduction, other than to say I am blessed to have Bryce on this path with me.

You can reach Bryce directly at [redacted] or leave a comment for him here.

Enjoy.

To all our friends and family, we feel that it’s time to be open and honest about something that we have kept silent for a long time. Many of you already know this, or may have heard secondhand, so I want you to hear it directly from me (and Sara): our oldest son, Trevor, is gay. You may wonder why we would share this information publicly (and of course it’s with Trevor’s permission). I will tell you why, but first let me share our story.

[the post is a mormon dad’s story about learning gays aren’t of the devil]

++++++++++++

MY RESPONSE:

dear sister,

all i can say is, thank goodness this kid’s parents woke up. individuals may change, but as this kind of uninformed counsel continues to come down from leaders, they are still part of the problem:

“As long as he didn’t act on his feelings of attraction, he was still worthy in the eyes of God and the church and could still go on a mission and serve in any church calling.”

as recently as their general conference this month, mormon church leaders are still isolating gay people from everyone else. it’s misinformed bigotry. as someone who knows real life gay people, you should know better than to pretend your church is changing.

i support groups that offer assistance and support to gay youth who are in trouble because their families choose religion over reality (the trevor project, PFLAG, are two examples). i find nothing good in the others that continue to misinform their followers.

Alien

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 04:03PM

SOME of the MEMBERS are changing and realizing that they shouldn't throw their children out. The church has not change it's stance, if anything, it's digging in it's heels and shows no sign of real acceptance.

How many stories were just posted on here this last week where mothers rejected their children based solely on that they were gay.

I'm glad that some members are becoming more accepting, but it's a small minority in the membership that has done this. Until the church changes it's official policy (and, sadly, for a long time after), people will be kicked out, sidelined and have severe harm caused to them.

Date: April 09, 2014 04:09PM

yes, finally free, that was the aim of my response to her, posted within the original post.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 04:06PM

Excellent response. Very important message to get out.

Nothing has changed at all. They just smile at you now as they turn the screws.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 04:13PM

Why hasn't the church come down hard on members for throwing their children away. Why is this not preached at conference?
Members should lose their recommends for this and they should be openly chastised. JC was the one who said to hang a mill stone around their necks whoever harms a child, and this is defiantly harm to a child.

Date: April 09, 2014 04:27PM

that'wps encouragung again, on a limited scale. horrible about the others in their ward, though.

Date: April 13, 2014 12:06PM

finally got a response from the family member:

" Sorry :( "

some debate as to what she is "sorry" about, but i suspect she's sorry i voiced an opinion other than her own.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 12:15PM

she's sorry that you were "offended" probably. Oh, clueless little mormons

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 07:15PM

I wonder how any TBM Peter Priesthhood holder would feel if they were told that they were permitted to love their (now) wives but never act on it, or talk about it, as this would effect their worthiness before a supposedly loving God!

To stop a gay person from being loved and to have a normal (gay) sex life is to me the cruelest of cruel. Has tscc really looked at what they are asking of gay people? To totally repress ALL sexual and romantic feelings (and heaven forbid if they mastubated to release the tension of it all _OH No NO NO!!). They are compelling gay people to a loveless life and a judgemental lot of people in the mormon community. WHO I mean WHO in their right mind would choose that?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.