Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:59PM

Coming from a Catholic community I was used to the Catholic traditions, however many other religions would make a point not to celebrate certain days. Then I became mormon and being a busy bee I soon forgot what holiday was what.

Here is some of the things I remember.

Good Friday - for one of our wards was pancake breakfast followed by games. I'd think, really? Shouldn't we be sad that Jesus died this day?

Easter - I was used to call this Sunday "Resurrection Sunday" but in my mormon chapel what we celebrated depended on which day it was. Sometimes it was GC, others it was Stake Conference. many times it was fast and testimony. When it was a regular SM I remember topics as the history of Relief Society, the importance of obedience or the law of chastity. I kid you not. I remember because it was so odd. But not as odd as the times Easter was about how we don't celebrate Jesus' resurrection because we take the sacrament every week.

Palm Sundday - ah? What's that?

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - unless it was a Sunday nobody really cared. And if it was a Sunday it was all about, is it only sacrament meeting or full three hour block? Some SP were kind to make it one meetings, but I remember one SP who sent a letter telling bishops that the 3-hour block should continue as usual. A friend of mine was a bishop and told me, too bad we already had plan for only SM.

Mother's Day - not really a holiday but one year the topic was chastity and the YW president went on and on about single mothers. What an ackward day.

Father's Day - Again, not a holiday but... I don't know why that day seemed to be HC day, which usually was a "you're not good enough" topic on temple attendance or missionary work.

Canada Day - I think lately more and more ward use the Canadian Anthem as one of the hymns, but one year we sang the American anthem. What!?!?!?! I think it was in honour of some Americans who were in our ward.

Remembrance Day - the Sunday close to it. Nobody remembered. I was in one ward were two years in a row the SM had at least one talk that touched on the topic, but that was it. I would envy other churches who actually remembered those who had fought the war.

Many times I felt that whichevver ward I happened to be in was out of touch. We blamed it on being so busy. Now I think that in general mormons are very much out of touch with the world. It's like at church we were in our own bubble. Isolated.

What were your experiences?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:12PM

I seem to remember Christmas being celebrated with full decorations...and Easter being a big deal...and Mothers Day where single roses were handed out to all the female members.....but that was while ago..

Ron Burr

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:17PM

mothers day we always gave the 18 and up flowers and/or chocolates. Talks are generally on mothers. Relief society is sometimes replaced with a semi-social activity (short lesson, chocolate fondu or similiar).

fathers days we always got cookies. Talks might be on fathers, but they'd slip in some home teaching and other stuff.

canada day normally has the national anthem

remembrance day - nothing

christmas day - just sacrament meeting - probably all musical
numbers with a couple short talks.
christmas week - live nativity pageant

easter - something resurrection related, probably a special musical number

Not awful. Sounds better than your ward anyways.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.