Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moving ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 02:47PM

I am an Exmormon with young children. My wife is nevermo. We love the outdoors, skiing, fishing, hiking, biking etc. etc.

We live in the desert now.

In researching smallish towns with quick access to outdoor activities, Heber City/Midway seem to be low cost.

I am able to work from home and am wondering if anyone has experience with these communities:

Will it be difficult to fit in as ex and non mormon?
Is it too far from larger cities?
etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 02:51PM

from what I've heard, Midway is the new Park City. A lot of GA's have expensive houses there. My TBM dad often vacations there, so from what I know, it's pretty TBM. I personally don't like Heber, but it may be more affordable

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 02:55PM

It's probably progressing to a less TBM-centered area. Most of the outlying areas with potential for being closer to the wilderness and skiing are becoming gentile-ified, but some quicker than others. The ones that have moved further that way are most expensive, i.e. Park City, Deer Valley. Heber/Midway would be a good long-term investment both financially and with the benefit of a future de-Mormonization.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 03:07PM

I attended a mother's day tea for my grandson. My TBM daughter was the only one that didn't "partake," in the classroom. At a fundraiser for the school ski team it was BYOB--every table seemed to be enjoying the evening. It is a beautiful valley with so many outdoor opportunities, I am thinking it is a wonderful family community, without the pressures other parts of Utah have.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 03:16PM

BUT, neither he nor his gf was raised with any religion, so they don't have the issues and probably don't even notice some of the Mormon stuff. They've been there almost a year. Recently, however, gf felt like she and my tiny gd were snubbed by neighbor and his kids, and she suspected it was about her not being Mormon.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 03:18PM

Things must have changed in the past 10 years since I've been to Heber. Back in the day, it was white trash/meth central.

Posted by: wonderingnomore ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 03:36PM

I have a very good ex-mo friend who has lived in Heber for 10 or 20 years.

He is very out-doorsy. He loves the place. But, he is also a very live-and-let-live guy. For example, he's also worked in the hell known as Provo for the past 10-20 years and managed that just fine. His key, I think, is that he has a great social network of exmos and never-mos. That is also the key for me and my wife who live in Logan, UT.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 03:53PM

Bend Oregon.

Posted by: williewon'tgo ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 10:37PM

Eastern Montana or Western North Dakota.

Booming economy. High wages. Cold winters. Great hunting and fishing.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 10:45PM

My nevermo California neighbor bought a weekend house there - there is no sign she has even noticed Mormon culture - though I don't know if she socializes much there.

Posted by: mer mer ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 11:46PM

My family (both sides) are from the area and have lived here long enough to be a well known name in the area. There are many families here that have been here since the mo-trek days and they are a pretty TBM eccentric community. Though, many are not even close to judgmental of outsiders.

And, as someone posted earlier, it's a GROWING area! The old community is rapidly being replaced by the old. There's a brand new HS that is meant to house all this new growth. There is ample opportunities for outdoor activities (we go out nearly every weekend). Driving to Provo, Park City, and SLC is not an issue or too draining at all. I go out to these places quite often.

Midway and Heber are both really swell places and it way easy to enjoy the outdoors. I'm living here atm. If you want to know anything specific, just let reply back!

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 11:56PM

Heber is GORGEOUS. I don't know anything about the social scene, but dang is there some scenery.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 07:15PM

We used to go up there back in the Y days and hang out on some farm where there was a natural hot spring. I mean hot! It took a while to get all the way in. It was great in the winter as you could get out and roll in the snow then get back in. We'd always bring a jug of cheap wine and just have a ball. Good times.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.