Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonymous4now ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 01:04AM

I remember in YW's being told that garments were the ultimate protection and stories about people (supposedly) getting 3rd degree burns in fires but living because they didn't burn where the garments covered and another of a woman who couldn't swim being 'saved' from drowning because she was wearing them. Anyone else get these outlandish "they would have died if not for their underwear" stories? Or was it just my super weird, competing with Warren Jeffs for craziest beliefs, ward?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emily Taylor ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 02:59AM

yeah i hear such bs all the time as well and make fun of them and tell them that if it wasn't for wearing my fursuit I would never have had the most fantastic yiff sex.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 03:01AM

Yeah-heard exactly what you mentioned. My question though is why was the woman wearing garments while swimming? Lol.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 03:26AM

I never got sunburned underneath the garment.

Posted by: Aussie ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 05:44AM

Yeah, Australia. 1990s.

Same stories

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 05:58AM

That stuff is common lore, but always gently denied by "authorities" in TSCC. They don't flat-out deny it though, they usually say something like "God can protect people when it's His will and protects those who are obedient. Wearing the garment is part of our obedience." They dance around it like that... saying they're not magic per se. The doctrine leans toward Protestant views that inanimate objects can't have spiritual power, an avoidance of iconism. Of course that excludes things like magic rocks in hats, for some reason!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2014 06:01AM by rationalist01.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 06:10AM

I recall my bishop telling me something after I went through the temple. He actually despised me, but once I signed the mission papers and did my endowments I was part of the club.

He gave an example of a guy riding a motorcycle who took a spill. Even his leather jacket got torn up and his arms and legs got injured, but the body under his garments was protected.

Posted by: freddo ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 06:59AM

The scare tactic is not that you won't be protected in the fire, bike accident, etc

It's that SATAN WILL GET YOU THEN YOU WILL DIE IN A CAR OR PLANE CRASH

Posted by: stormaggedon ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 07:09AM

One lady in my ward was at one of the elementary schools that got hit by the tornado in Moore, Ok last May. Her daughter says her mom debated whether or not she should have worn her garments that day. She decided she should have. According to her daughter, the mom survived because she was wear her g's.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 07:30AM

The thing is, if the Mormon church really wanted to give its members comfort and (some degree of) protection, garments would be made of silk. Silk is warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It is naturally flame-proof. If you put a lit match to a silk thread, the flame on the thread will go out within seconds. Do the same with cotton, and it will burn. With polyesters, the thread will curl and melt. That's what would happen next to your skin should your clothing ever catch on fire.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 09:05AM

I also have never been shot at, but, maybe that is because I wore the garment. I haven't worn them for over 10 years and I am still free from burns or bullet holes, part of the residual effect I think.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 09:25AM

Yes, of course. Residual blessings, like residual curses, are everywhere. It's hard to keep track of them all.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 09:30AM

The only thing garments protect against is getting laid

Posted by: corwin ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 12:17PM

And they've even failed at that from time to time.

Posted by: Anon rn ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 04:01PM

I worked in an ER of a northern Utah for years.
Everything you hear about garment protection is total bullshit.
Traumatic amputation, burns, electrocutions, stabbings, shootings happen regardless of the mormon undies. The biggest question was should we save these bloody mounds of fabric for the family or toss them in the trash. Usually we had to cut them off the injured patient.
I can honestly say I never saw an incident where it was an advantage to life or limb to be wearing mormon garments.

Posted by: dupsterfnuberdork ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 04:05PM

Wouldn't it be great if there were people like you with real world experience that could testify to the utter BS of such tall tales and myths of the Mormon Magic Undies. I actually believed the myths about the protections that Gs would provide. Stupid stupid me!

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 04:11PM

I remember my SIL telling me some yarn about someone in a fire getting burned everywhere but where the garmmies were. Even as a TBM I rolled my eyes. It's embarrassing to hear an adult tell such make believe fairy stories.

Posted by: Anon rn ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 04:24PM

Nylon & polyesters will melt to the skin. Cotton is flammable as are most rayon/cellulose types of fabrics.
There are a couple new fabrics they use in mormon garments these days but I am not sure what they are made of but I think they are synthetics.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 04:29PM

That's what I was thinking. Garments could easily make burns much worse than they would be otherwise.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 04:34PM

Unproven legend ** Unproven legend ** Unproven legend etc. etc. etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.