Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jefecito ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 02:28PM

continuing from http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1242437

Used to look about as Mormon as you can get. Tall, blond, blue eyes, etc.

Now? Well, I *just* was walking down the street (on my way to pick up my first ever green tea), minding my own business when a woman I passed said, "All dressed up in a suit and still looks like a fool! FU white cracker!" So yeah, my ExMo look doesn't impress everyone. I still maintain the missionary haircut, but it's kind of a rebellious, bad boy version because sometimes I let the hair grow out to touch my ears a bit. Also, I'm allowing myself to wear grey or patterned socks nowadays (to match my suit pants), whereas I used to wear only solid black socks in my TBM days. lol

Maybe the bigger change is what I wear outside of work. Used to be a tshirt (likely from Target), with garments subtly slipping out of the collar, 'don't dare make a statement' jeans and plain brown shoes. Now I've read up on men's fashion and allow myself a bit more style and class, still aiming for casual. It's fun.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 03:09PM by jefecito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 02:36PM

lol I'm sorry I have to laugh at the FU white cracker part. It sounds like you have it under control now though.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 02:48PM

IDT I ever looked typically Mormon. I had dark brown curly hair that I would dye burgundy, brown eyes, and golden skin. I was really interested in fashion and designed my own clothes and put together my own 90s fashion- think Hippie skirts with crop tops, Comic book shirts (this was before being a nerd was "cool") etc

My church dresses were something between Laura Ashley, Bohemian fashion, and "grunge" lol. I designed and picked out the fabric for all of those, too. Just imagine how couture I would've have been if I knew how to make jewelry back then. :)

I still have the dark brown curly hair and eyes, but my skin has become paler and more tattooed over the years.

Date: April 17, 2014 02:52PM

I have seen you and I don't think you ever did. That's why I was surprised to know that you were a Mormon...ever! I like your style though.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 02:56PM

Just wait till you see those pics some TBT.

Date: April 17, 2014 03:01PM

lol bring it on!

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 03:02PM

Don't know if this will work, but here are some snapshots of my childhood in TSCC, then 1 taken barely a week after my shelf collapsed, and then 25+ years after leaving:

http://s151.photobucket.com/user/originalwably/library/Self?sort=6&page=1

Seeing those bare shoulders when I was in junior high (early 80s) reminds me that my mom had her issues, but she was far from a modesty Nazi like some other kids in the ward had. Then again, my dad by that point was at least 5 years ex-mo atheist (they remain married).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 03:03PM by frogdogs.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 03:11PM

Though I was told by the 20 chemists that I worked for that I was hot. I dated a few of them. I didn't think I was hot because Mormon guys wouldn't give me the time of day (okay, I did wait for a missionary), but it was the nonmormons I had no trouble dating. I met a lot of them where I was working and 2 of them asked me to marry them. The "bad boys" really seemed to like me. Maybe I looked too wholesome????? I was/am almost 6 feet tall, had dirty dishwater blonde hair, very thin back then. Overweight now.

I still look Mormon at almost 57. My boyfriend definitely does not look Mormon, though he is actually a descendent of early Mormons (last name is Taylor).

I've never been one who felt comfortable wearing bikinis, tank tops, etc., so the modesty thing was never an issue, although my mother didn't enforce such things, as sweet and naïve as she was and as TBM as she was.

I had all my nonmo friends and boyfriends tell me that I was different than other Mormons that they knew and they were also shocked I was from Utah (I worked with a lot of nonmormons at Thiokol).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 03:13PM by cl2.

Date: April 17, 2014 05:00PM

I would imagine that a tall, skinny blonde would stick out at Thiokol. Maybe you just never realized how gorgeous you are (overweight or not)

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 03:34PM

I had no idea men got catcalled ever. Sorry that happened to you.

Date: April 17, 2014 03:36PM

this thread makes me really wish we could have avatars. (I know I know, not going to happen ever) But I wish!

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 04:52PM

I rarely to never actually looked like a TBM, even as a kid. Shaggy hair, tank tops and beards/goatees have always been my look. The only time I stopped wearing tank tops was the year or two after I was married in the temple in my late 20's. Lord how I hated garments.

Recently I was told I resemble Opie from Sons of Anarchy, so no one is going to mistake me for a TBM.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 04:56PM

I have had a beard for about 25 years, my youngest son (turns 23 this summer) has never seen me without a beard. I left about 12 years ago and for the past 10 or so years I have had a goatee, long enough to braid, with a shaved head. Up until I grew my beard I looked typical TBM but once the beard came that ended. I have tats now and I look more like a Hell's Angel than any TBM you would meet. I do have strangers stop me and tell me they love my beard though, so I don't look too scary I guess.

Posted by: panda ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:59PM

Lol i actually pictured you as Latino based on your username. It reminded me of guys I grew up with who liked to go by the name El Jefe

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:03PM

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:21PM

I have taken to not wearing white shirts to church on Sunday (I go "for my family"). I was actually really self-conscious when I did that as a TBM because I realized I was the only guy in the entire building not wearing a white shirt. Now, I really just don't care what they think of me.

Sad that my idea of rebellion is wearing a blue or striped shirt to church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.