Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 01:57PM

Here I am but I'm just not so sure about these gender neutral restrooms that are open to everyone.

Am I a prude ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:20PM

But I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't make me uncomfortable at all.

Posted by: Ruby2 ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:24PM

No, you're right. I think it's taking gender equality too far. We're equal but not exactly the same! I would be uncomfortable too, for a myriad of reasons. I've seen this type of thing at other conventions for minority groups too and thought it was taking things too far then, also.

Posted by: Ruby2 ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:25PM

Let me say "too" one more time.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:31PM

Convention organizers may be trying to make transgender persons feel comfortable.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:47PM

^ This. I know people who are much more comfortable if they can use a restroom that doesn't specify gender.

BTW, not just transgender people, but other non-cisgendered people as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2014 02:52PM by Kismet.

Posted by: Solitary Loner ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 12:06AM

I actually prefer to use a unisex bathroom with an actual door with a real lock, with it's own sink inside. They even have them at the grocery store I go to.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:37PM

I don't think it is necessarily prudish. I don't see much sense in separating them out, it isn't like there isn't enough privacy in the stall anyway. I don't know about others, but I don't ever see anything that would be considered "inappropriate" or revealing. That said, it still makes me uncomfortable. I think it is just challenging something that is deeply ingrained into our cultural upbringing, and so it isn't so much prudish, as it is taking us out of our comfort zone.

Date: April 18, 2014 02:39PM

Having lunch at Crown Burger.
It's every bit as good as I remembered.
How come it takes Greeks to make a really good burger ?
And where else does fry sauce come in a pump dispenser ?

Getting ready to attend the talk by Mr. Deity.
This is going to be good.

Met Aron Ra and Matt Dillahunty.
They were both friendly.

Date: April 18, 2014 05:14PM

Brian Dalton (Mr. Deity) was exceedingly funny.
He is an excellent speaker and showed some of his latest youtube clips.
=====================================================

The writer of The Simpsons and Monsters Inc. spoke and showed some anti-religion Simpsons clips.

============================================

I have had several requests from people to obtain some mormon underwear. Does anyone in the Salt Lake area have any they would like to donate ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2014 05:17PM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: April 18, 2014 06:35PM

Met my hero P.Z. Myers.

Date: April 18, 2014 07:42PM

Eddie Tabash is now speaking on "Atheist outreach to mormons: overcoming dogma with reason"

I've got news for Eddie .... I won't work. Mormons are immune to reason.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 08:18PM

A line of porta potties is an example of how unisex bathrooms can work. Each stall is private and has both a sit down and a urinal. A lot of men, myself included, prefer to stand if just urinating. When restroom facilities are separated, especially at large events, you see women lining up for their facilities while men breeze in and out. I've seen women barging into men's restrooms more than once during rock concerts and fairs.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 08:49PM

or go completely to the floor, and they have a regular door with a regular handle.

I wasn't uncomfortable with that at all, because it was completely private. It didn't bother me to see men washing their hands.

I think it's a great idea, depending on the venue. I think there are still some venues where women would like to be able to freshen their makeup or gossip without being seen by men . . . like restaurants and date hangouts. But for places where you have a short bathroom break like concert halls and theaters, ANYTHING to keep the lines down for the women would be nice.

Posted by: matt20 ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 08:51PM

I thought you may find this article interesting.... American Atheists, the new Mormons.

"Suffice it to say that, at least in a strategic sense, those perspectives might not be so different. The American Atheists don’t try to convert believers, but with a recent push for atheist evangelization, the Latter-Day Saints soon might not be the only group treading your streets in search of the lost. Both groups, more broadly, may represent the shared face of religion and irreligion in the 21stcentury: organizations that exist outside the declining Protestant mainstream, draw on a narrative of past persecution, speak the language of identity politics, and advertise as much as they possibly can. Is it working? Well, the Mormons just had their Moment. And as for the atheists? While churches might be in decline, their numbers are growing."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/04/18/are-atheists-the-new-mormons.html

Date: April 19, 2014 12:04AM

The talk by P.Z. Meyers blew my mind.
It was very scientific.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.