Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OregonBoy ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:33PM

How long before we see a disaffected uber high ranking (70s or Apostle) member give a talk during conference only to conclude the church is based on the most egregious deception of our time, that the BoA is a verifiable fraud, and the BoM is a 19th production from Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon and Oliver Cowderly…or something to that effect?
I see this in the next 20 years - This is my revelation!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:45PM

Don't hold your breath.

The speakers at GC are vetted and super-vetted. Nobody comes
close to the podium microphone that hasn't give their heart,
mind and butt to the Church for decades.

Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:58PM

It will never happen.

General Conference is highly scripted. Furthermore, all speakers are "church-broken."

Speakers in General Conference have received their callings because they have learned to cast intellectual honesty aside and toe the line for TSCC.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:48PM

I understood too that their talks are written (obviously) and if they deviate from what is "turned in" the mic gets turned off. At some point someone will say something over the pulpit because at some point the "inspired" calls will lead to someone that doesn't believe. I'll be waiting. I more would love to see it and watch my TBM parents reaction. Lol.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 04:24PM

I never knew that they turned the mics off. Are there any videos of that happening?

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 04:28PM

I couldn't tell you. Some extended family works for the church and they were talking about it generally one day and I was in shock and asked if they really would do that. My thinking was how can they do that to an apostle? Anyways, it probably has never happened and not sure it ever would.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 04:28PM by mew.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 04:35PM

It reminded me of this:

http://www.4utah.com/content/news/top_stories/story/UPDATE-Packer-makes-changes-to-sermon-regarding/d/story/OecTkSc980K76VXGKo2bSg

This was when Boyd Packer said some pretty nasty things about homosexuals. Very soon after conference they retconned the entire thing and now the talk doesn't contain a lot of the inflammatory rhetoric.

I always wondered if everybody agreed to that talk and it was completely pre-written, or if he was improvising and they had to make up for it later.

If they really do turn the mic off during times like this, I guess the 15 all probably agreed to the wording.

Posted by: EmmaWho ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:52PM

Uchtdorf gave such a talk a couple of years ago. It seemed to me he had discovered the real truth and was encouraging TBMers to think critically and distinguish truth from deception. It was a CES talk given at BYU, I believe. Wish I had the link, I did post it at RfM a couple years ago.

Of course Uchtdorf seems to still be perpetuating tscc, so who knows what's going on in his head. Probably fear for his life and losing $1 million and financial security & free BYU educations for all his family if he comes forward.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:52PM

I agree to the advice that it's not wise to hold your breath, but it is a lovely thought.

I think it is far more likely there will soon be a group of protesters stand up in unison in conference shouting their grievances. Sure, they will be quickly shown the door, but they also would have raised awareness.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 04:10PM

Sorry...... none of these men will turn on the church, it would be financial ruin for them. They Each get paid by the church for what they do. Its a career, not a calling.

Posted by: Brother Zelph ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 04:33PM

Won't happen. However, there will be more resignations from GA's in the coming years. It will be very similar to the one from Sweeden. It will be dignified and respectful and not done over the LDS pupit.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 04:35PM

It will not happen in general conference.

However, I would not be a bit surprised to see a GA turncoat write a tell all book.

I do not think any of it is about money. I think they have these guys because of family, family belief in LDS Inc, and the prestige a family gets by having a LDS senior executive.

With that stated, there are huge changes in attitudes by some families regarding the credibility of LDS Inc. We may see this come to fruition, when a family...who has unrestricted access to the GA..pressures him into truthfulness.

If that does happen, it would take tremendous courage. Though the GA would be hero to many, he would be poison to others. LDS Inc would stop at nothing to trash him, and his personal security would certainly be at risk.

It is going to be interesting kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 04:36PM by deco.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 05:05PM

Notice how the apostleship is nepotistic. And, they are only called LONG after their personal and relatives' socioeconomic status is utterly dependent on the church. Notice that for any of the 12 to "come out" would be highly ruinous to them and more importantly their kin. Their million dollar church loan would be recalled. No doubt theyve signed corporate nondisclosure terms. The church would ruin them. They cant do it.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 06:54PM

This will never happen because the modern day CULT has their Danites. I'm sure there is a trained gunman with a gun trained on whoever is speaking just in case someone decides to say something like that. They can make it look like an Ex-Mo did it or some disgruntled person.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:05PM

Keith (?) Poleman gave a talk in the October 1984 session that so incensed the top 15 that they had him give the talk again, on the following Tuesday -- to a selected audience rounded up from local stakes. Read the article in Sunstone ""The Editing of a General Authority ""

I was sat in the Tabernacle for the original talk , yet when I got home to Europe and went to the VIDEO Conference Talks --I had been replaced in my seat by a woman. This seat, which was right on the end of a row, and was highly visible.

His talk was nothing like the one he gave in the REAL General Conference

So yes they do edit General Conference !!!!

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:10PM

Here's a link to a side by side comparison of the before and after of Poleman's general conference talk from 1984: http://www.lds-mormon.com/poelman.shtml

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:13PM

1. I am sure someone has control over the mic and will pull the plug as soon as anyone starts saying something not in the pre-approved talk. As for those of us seeing it elsewhere live, the screen will go to "technical difficulties" and then for the time to some film, perhaps even with the same speaker in a prior talk! About the only way someone could get by with saying something not in the pre-approved talk is to give a masterful prepared talk and halfway through ad lib in a way well approved by the 15 and then, in one moment, drop the bomb while all are lulled to thinking it is all TBM. I kinda did this before the "love council" in a way that enabled me to talk for an hour straight and then....the bombs exploded.
2. We can always dream, at least.

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:19PM

What about a manchurian canidate type senario? Mwahhhhahahahahaha!

Never happen but fun to think about.

We have to infiltrate and bring them down from the inside out

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.