Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subieguy180 ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:44PM

I've been going to church,seminary, and mutual on Wednesday nights because I want to make my Grandma happy. However I can't play this stupid game of faking it. I've lied to myself and said I would be able to control it but I simply can't. What I've learned about the history of the church can't be unlearned. I'm unhappy and want to get out of this cult.

I'm not afraid to leave but how do I tell my Grandma I no longer wish to attend church? I don't care about what the other people in the church say. This is between my Grandma and I.

Also I love my grandma because I told her I don't wish to go on a stupid mission for 2 years,She agreed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 09:45PM by subieguy180.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:55PM

You know a lot more about your relationship with your grandma than any of us do, but what worked for me was to stop going without making a big announcement that I was getting out. Everyone figured it out eventually.

Date: April 21, 2014 10:01PM

I've been planning on what I was going to say to my Grandma last week and still planning this week. However I'm unsure of the reaction. I'm a bit scared but I don't really care either. Although if she loves me(Which I know she does) She'll understand.

Like I said before no one in the church can bother me if I'll protect my rights because there is no law saying I must attend church.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:14PM

What rights? Some kids who have broken the news have gotten kicked out of their homes, sent off to reform schools, or denied any number of privileges. I'm not saying that any of this will happen to you, but a certain amount of circumspection may be in order.

As an above board member pointed out, you are the one who knows your grandmother the best. Consider how she will likely react to the news. If it were me, I would try a conciliatory approach. "Grandma, this just isn't working for me, it's too much, I just can't do this anymore." See what she has to say and take it from there. I would start with trying to get your church activities cut back. Perhaps you can try to cut out mutual or seminary. It may be that you will get lucky in this regard, or it may be that she will clamp down on you hard.

Date: April 21, 2014 10:19PM

I'm talking about freedom of religion I don't have to stay in this church.

But you're right I do know my grandma better than everyone else here.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:27PM

subieguy180 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm talking about freedom of religion I don't have to stay in this church.

Well, you've heard the expression, "freedom isn't free." There may be a price that needs to be paid. Good luck to you.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:17PM

Your law and your life and your happiness. Good luck buddy. You know what to do, be smooth, resolved. If she, or anyone else, rebuffs or questions you, begin at the beginning... continue through to today if needed. You are searching for your own happiness and you will always have it, out of mechanism. Spell check

Date: April 21, 2014 10:28PM

I'll be sure to spell check next time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.