Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 06:08PM

If Jesus died on Friday and rose from the dead on Sunday (3 days later), when did Jesus put on his garments? Was it the old style with a button in the back?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 06:09PM by themaster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 06:15PM

Date: April 21, 2014 06:28PM

BadGirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

You have to use new math to understand.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 06:43PM

Yeah, his Jewish friends had to get him in the ground before sundown Friday, the start of the sabbath. Sunup Sunday would have been about 36 hours later. Even if you add the time between him checking out on the cross, getting him down, out of the possession of the Romans, and off to somewhere they could prep him for burial, it's still only, what, 40 hours or so? Then, according to LDS legend, he zoomed over to the New World re-delivered the Sermon on the Mount, did some juju and zoomed back to Jerusalem where he either appeared to Mary or didn't, depending on which version you go by. Busy weekend.

Posted by: SoCalNeveremo ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 07:30PM

According to the bible he rose on the "third day"

First day: Friday
Second day: Saturday (the Sabbath)
Third day: Sunday (the first day of the week)

Actual time in the tomb about 36-40 hours

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 06:45PM

Supposedly Joseph Smith restored the "true" church as it existed during Christ's lifetime. So that means Jesus was buried in his garments and temple clothes, and would have still been wearing them when he was resurrected. I bet his mother Mary still had ham and funeral potatoes in the refrigerator. All the pictures show Jesus wearing next to nothing when he was crucified. Maybe if he was wearing his garments the sword thrust in his side wouldn't have killed him.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 06:58PM

Except garments and temple robes back then looked like the Shroud of Turin. ;)

Date: April 21, 2014 07:03PM

bezoar wrote "Maybe if he was wearing his garments the sword thrust in his side wouldn't have killed him".

Jesus must not have been wearing the super long john model that goes to the wrist because they (garments) would have protected him from the sure sign of the nail. Plus if Jesus was wearing garments, the spear of the Roman solider would have been bent which also would have protected Jesus.

So if Christ did not wear garments, why do mormons?

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 07:24PM

So Jesus had a tough 3-day weekend...boo-hoo.

As humanity has shown us all...there are way more painful, awful and tragic ways to die.

I didn't ask Jesus to be MY 'scapegoat...nor did i want him to...i'm fully capable of being responsible for myself.

Jesus and his Dad decided to take that upon themselves without my permission.

I could swear i told them both in the pre-existence that i didn't want anything to do with their plan...but i was still born "white and delightsome"...go figure!

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:47PM

Wait a minute. Just realized Jesus could not have come to the "New World", not until after the forty days etc., at least. He went down to Hell and preached for three days! That is why JS tried to change the Bible (plus a lot of his new doctrines) because JS claimed Jesus did NOT preach to the earlier people because, being God, Christ could not go to Hades or Sheol. Moreover, it would interfere with Mormon doctrine in that we are NOT necessary to preach to the people who died before us. The whole "plan of salvation" by JS is bunk.

The easiest explanation is that Christ was not crucified on Friday. The date of the Passover seder is not the same day of the week each year. Just means the calculation of the year was wrong for the crucifiction. The 7th day Adventists are also wrong - even more in error as to the date. The Bible indicates that the empty tomb was seen on the 1st day of the week. Also, in one of the gospels Mary is told not to touch him because he had not yet ascended.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:19PM

rhgc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 7th day Adventists are
> also wrong - even more in error as to the date.
> The Bible indicates that the empty tomb was seen
> on the 1st day of the week. Also, in one of the
> gospels Mary is told not to touch him because he
> had not yet ascended.

Both the Jews and Romans (from whom our modern Gregorian calendar is derived, essentially a correction of their Julian calendar) used a seven-day week; the Jewish Sabbath corresponded to the last day in the Roman week, "dies Saturni" or Saturday. The canonized gospels allege that Jesus rose on the first day of the week, Sunday. Christian observance of Sunday as the Sabbath was not codified until 363 CE, although the practice probably originated long before then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 10:19PM by vman455.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.