Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:09AM

I have used NOM as Name-Only Mormon, the glossary for RfM has this as MINO (Mormon in name only).

Over the past several months through posters here on RFM and some exposure to other blogs, NOM also means

New Order Mormon

These are very different things and I would think even TBMs would find the difference obvious.

What is your take on these acronyms and even more importantly the groups?

They are both very much Mormon in my world and part of the real 3 to 5 million living Mormons today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2014 01:10AM by gentlestrength.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:15AM

I learned on these sites that it means New Order Mormon. I never heard of your definition until you just posted it. It seems to me that you can't use NOM to identify both, so it will be interesting to see what it means to most people. You may have to start using MINO.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:16AM

new order mormon has always cracked me up

so what is it, this crap tastes bad and i want a new order?

name only mormon makes a bit of sense at least

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:24AM

The "ordain women" undoubtedly come from the ranks of the NOM movement. "We are smart enough to know it's bullshit, but we just want to change a few things so it becomes a slightly less bullshitty form of bullshit".

Posted by: Brother Zelph ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:15AM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> new order mormon has always cracked me up
>
> so what is it, this crap tastes bad and i want a
> new order?

NOM can mean anything you want it to. The term "New Order" made sense to me at the time, as it meant that since my entire universe was in disorder, I had to make a "new order" of everything entirely in order for the universe to make sense again. There was a time when I considered myself a "NOM" as in New Order Mormon. This was due to the family situation. Looking back, I found that the NOM board was very helpful for me. I see NOMism as a necessary temporary transition phase for those wishing to keep peace in the family.

Leaving Mormonism is very difficult for many. Particularly those that have many family members and friends still in it. NOM helped me because many others were in the same position. Also keep in mind that Mormons that are genuinely seeking further light and knowledge are very mindful of "anti" sites, or what could be perceived as very much "anti." The NOM board is one of the very first websites I stumbled across when I started doing my "serious" research of Mormonism.

When I read the words "New Order Mormons...are those who no longer believe the doctrines of the LDS Church, but who maintain membership for cultural, social, or even spiritual reasons." it scared me. It scared me to the core, because deep down I knew it described me, even though I didn't know why. This was before I discovered about DNA and Native Americans or the Book of Abraham.

I remember being so scared that I turned off my computer. I stayed away from searching anything related to Mormonism for a long time, even years before starting up again. Deep down, I knew that ignoring a problem wasn't going to make it go away.

Years later, I found myself an active poster in the board. I found it to be a great resource and got first-hand accounts from people experiencing the exact same thing that I was experiencing.

All in all I think NOM was a positive experience because it helped me during a transitional state.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:18AM

NOMs (both varieties) make BICs with their BIC spouse.

Yes or no.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:21AM

Ive seen NOM used as both, and it usually is very confusing unless an OP signifies which they mean.

The two groups are very different.

Name only mormons might be comparable to jack-mormons. Or maybe the opposite of a jack mormon. Someone who doesn't believe but still practices, where as a jack mo believes but doesn't practice.

New Order Mormons, I always thought of as just following the party line. Whatever the new prophet says goes, regardless of if it contradicts a past prophet. Which is different than some mormons who seem try to make it all work together. A New Order Mormon has no problem letting go of polygamy and the curse of cain fable, but some mormons hang on to those ideas and believe older teachings will be in force during the millenium or celestial kingdom.

Then there are the progressive mormons that seem to think that what they think even matters to the church.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2014 01:27AM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: sincere9 ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:30AM

What I understand new order mormons to be are people who might not believe in everything, but still go to church for differing reasons. Some still have TBM spouses and kids, some go for just socializing and some are transitioning out of the church. I guess cafeteria mormons would be included in this. I think a name- only mormon may be a Jackmormon. Never heard of it before this.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:32AM

oh please stop ladell

i can't quit laughing

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.