Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Devo ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 12:17PM

I have heard my TBM wife say so many times "The Church teaches nothing but good. They have never asked me to do anything wrong." While that might be an admission of historical defects it is also a defense based on good intentions.
This is such a perfect example.

Woman fakes cancer; tricks friends, neighbors into donating thousands of dollars

An Ohio woman is facing felony charges after faking cancer and tricking her entire town into donating over $20,000 to an online fundraising campaign.
Mindy Taylor, 35, of Chillicothe, Ohio, convinced friends, family, neighbors, and even her husband that she had terminal intestinal cancer, The Daily Mail reported. She posted regular updates about her day to day struggles with chemotherapy on the fundraiser blog CaringBridge.org, and donations began to pour in from people calling themselves "Mindy's Army." Some of her supporters wore LiveStrong-like bracelets in support of Taylor.
"#mindysarmy isn't just about me," she posted on February 16. "It's about anyone that is fighting with an illness or cancer or a hard time, so try to remember that as you look down and see your wrist. Stay positive and always try to do the next right thing!"
Taylor's own mother organized the online fundraiser that raised $13,000 to go toward Taylor's supposed medical expenses, The New York Daily News reported. She raised an additional $7,000 from a spaghetti dinner in her own small home town of Smithton, Pennsylvania.

On the LDS Church Level: Those that checked into Mindy's story must be Mindy haters looking for reasons to discredit her. Mindy has done nothing but good things for the community. We can't possibly understand the workings of cancer. And those doctors could be wrong. There is more than one way to interoperate cancer screenings. In fact, we have doctors at the Y who say there is reason to believe that Mindy does have a form of cancer. AND if you don't believe that Mindy has cancer then why can't you just move on instead of investigating and telling people you don't believe. Why can't you let Mindy send out people to tell her faith promoting story and collect money?

The only thing that Mindy didn't do was to write a divine book and claim a visit from God.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SweetSue ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 01:44PM

I get it. But I don't understand why my Mom doesn't. If I say anything she just puts her hands over her ears and leaves the room. My husband and I were married in the Temple but left shortly afterwards. Both of us had doubts but we never talked about them until after we got married. Mom just won't let go.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 03:37PM

She's mentally ill. Does she need the money to help her get well, anyway? Mental illness is use a different disease, that's all, and one that doesn't evoke sympathy as much as cancer does.

I've been reading some articles and studies in the medical journals, about sociopaths and psychopaths, to better understand half of my Mormon extended family. Our prisons are filled with people like this. Joseph Smith was a sociopath. Society doesn't know how to deal with these people. They can't--won't--be rehabilitated. The ones I know move from one scam to the other, hurting a lot of people, but still remaining revered members of the Mormon cult. Some can be pedophiles, rapists, batterers--but they are forgiven, and their victims are to blame.

Mindy's family and husband are to blame for not giving her enough attention. Mindy's doctors, the people who were duped, everybody else is to be blamed, except for Mindy. Mindy is harmless, compared to my nephew, for example, who stole five times that amount from me, and over a million dollars from other family members, by conning them to invest in his business that never existed. He's in the bishopric, chronically unemployed, and is living large off the money, traveling and shopping all over the world, not paying for his children's education (their uncle pays for that). The nephew cried for sympathy and forgiveness from the family. but I sued him, got most of my money back. My children and I won't have anything more to do with the sleazy creep, because he has been a sociopath all his life, and his scams are continuing.

Maybe everyone in the world should be forced to wear an electronic ankle bracelet, programmed to beep when the wearer is lying. Life would be more fair and less complicated.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.