Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:00PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:10PM

I like all of these versions:

"Some one may say, 'If this work of the last days be true, why did not the Saviour come himself to communicate this intelligence to the world?' Because to the angels was committed the power of reaping the earth, and it was committed to none else." - Apostle Orson Hyde, General Conference Address, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p.335

"The Lord did not come with the armies of heaven, in power and great glory, nor send His messengers panoplied with aught else than the truth of heaven, to communicate to the meek the lowly, the youth of humble origin, the sincere enquirer after the knowledge of God. But He did send His angel to this same obscure person, Joseph Smith Jun., who afterwards became a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, and informed him that he should not join any of the religious sects of the day, for they were all wrong; that they were following the precepts of men instead of the Lord Jesus; that He had a work for him to perform, inasmuch as he should prove faithful before Him." (Journal of Discourses 2:170-171)

"That same organization and Gospel that Christ died for, and the Apostles spilled their blood to vindicate, is again established in this generation. How did it come? By the ministering of an holy angel from God,... The angel taught Joseph Smith those principles which are necessary for the salvation of the world;... He told him the Gospel was not among men, and that there was not a true organization of His kingdom in the world,... This man to whom the angel appeared obeyed the Gospel;..." (Journal of Discourses, Vol.2, pp.196-197)

"Do you suppose that God in person called upon Joseph Smith, our Prophet? God called upon him; but God did not come himself and call, but he sent Peter to do it. Do you not see? He sent Peter and sent Moroni to Joseph, and told him that he had got the plates." (Journal of Discourses, vol.6, p.29)

"How did this state of things called Mormonism originate? We read that an angel came down and revealed himself to Joseph Smith and manifested unto him in vision the true position of the world in a religious point of view." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 10, p.127)

"When Joseph Smith was about fourteen or fifteen years old,...he went humbly before the Lord and inquired of Him, and the Lord answered his prayer, and revealed to Joseph, by the ministration of angels, the true condition of the religious world. When the holy angel appeared, Joseph inquired which of all these denominations was right and which he should join, and was told they were all wrong,..." (Journal of Discourses, Vol.12, pp.333-334)

"He sought the Lord by day and by night, and was enlightened by the vision of an holy angel. When this personage appeared to him, of his first inquiries was, 'Which of the denominations of Christians in the vicinity was right?' (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 13, p.77-78 June 20, 1869 )

Posted by: dalebroadhurst ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:45PM

Favorite version? Oh, I dunno... Maybe this --

Senior: Son, them green turnips Alvin et has caused
yer Ma an' me a whole lot of trouble. We ain't got
us no profit now...

Junior: You mean "prophet," doncha, Pa?

Senior: No, I mean cash to pay the mortgage payments.
So long as ya got yer peepstone, yer the prophet.

Junior: Well, I dreamed last night 'bout Nephites again.

Senior: Nah, that ain't enuf, Joe. Ya gotta go out in
them thar woods and have a real old-timey VISION...

Junior: Yah mean like St. Paul on the way to Damnasskuss?

Senior: No, -- like that Chase girl next door did, with
angels an' devils an' thunder an' lightnin'

Junior: All right, Pa, I'll do my best. I'll take along
my Jupiter talisman an' Alvin's stovepipe hat. I'm bound
to see sumpin' ... iffin' I eats green turnips myself...

(fade to black)

UD

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 02:53PM

My favorite version:

I repaired to the woods to find some mushrooms ...

(You can add anything you like after that)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.