Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Battle-Ax ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 01:51PM

The other day I ran across this stat that surprised me. It said that the percentage of Utah that was Mormon was 60% leaving 40% that were non Mormon . I thought it was 65-70%. I check it out and I saw it confirmed in different studies. Here is one link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Utah

So if there were a 100 people in Utah 60 would be Mormon and 40 non Mormon. The study also say of the 60% Mormon only about 40% are active Mormon. So let run the numbers.

60 Mormons 24 are active
40 non Mormon plus 36 inactive gives you 76 non Mormon or inactive. so since the base is a 100 76% to 24%.

Vary Interesting. So lest give the Mormons the benefit of the doubt and add to their numbers.

50% active 60----30 active 40 + 30 70, so 70% to 30%
60% active 60----36 active 40 + 24=64. so 64% to 36%
70% active 60----42 active 40 + 18=58. so 58% to 42%
80% active 60----48 active 40 + 12=52. so 52% to 48%
90% active 60----54 active 40 + 6 =46. so 46% to 54%
100% active 60----60 active 40 + 0 =40. so 40% to 60%

I hope my numbers and thinking is right but if it is then there is a huge majority of non member and inactive compared to active mormons. it is a majority until you get to 90% activity rate which we all know is bogus.

So the question is, why are we acting like we are the minority???? lets start acting like the majority that we are and demand representation and rights no matter our political leanings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 02:03PM

"lets start acting like the majority that we are and demand representation and rights no matter our political leanings." - Yeah! Good luck with that....

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 02:04PM

Jack Mormons are sometimes worse than active Mormons.

Posted by: Battle-Ax ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 02:28PM

Yes these are generalized raw numbers. You could also say that there are some active Mormons that are more openminded or closet non believers. The point is there is a lot of us that don't associate actively with the church and the numbers are bigger then we think. Because of that I don't think we try and change things or complain. We have the numbers it's just matter unorganized as they say in the Temple.

Jehovah, Elohim here. Go down to the man Adam and inform him that there are more non Mormons and inactive Mormon then active Mormon. Tell the dumb ass Adam to organize this unorganized matter and take their state of Utah back. I will call you labors the 8th day since we have already used the seventh to rest and watch football.

Elohim, Jehova here, I will Go down to the man Adam and inform him that there are more non Mormons and inactive Mormon then active Mormon. I will tell the dumb ass Adam to organize this unorganized matter and take their state of Utah back. I will call our labors the 8th day and return and report.

Now that we have been commanded lets all bow our head and say YES and take our star back!!! Then we will have a case of Pay Lay Ale when we are done taking our state back. BTW the Pay Lay Ale beer will be 6.0% bought at the Smiths along with a bottle of wine!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 02:31PM

And only part of the active Mormons want to be.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 02:41PM

A lot of sources (including the Mormon church) claim that activity rates hover around 30-40%. Of course, there are pockets of Mormonism that are heavier than others. As you get closer to SLC, the percentage of Mormons will drop quite a bit as well. I'm living in some suburbs located south-west of SLC and I don't have a single neighbor within about five houses in any direction from mine that is an active Mormon. There are some Mormons down the street, but I rarely see them.

We do have some missionaries that live pretty close. After the first group talked to me when I moved in they have kept their distance though.

So, yes, we are the majority. SLC is the exmo capitol of the world and we should be proud of that.

I don't know if we really act like a minority. Some people do, but most exmo or nevermo Utahns really don't. We see it a lot here on this message board, but not in a lot of other places. We are not very well represented though. This is because a lot of Utahns choose to participate by protesting, or writing the Governor, but they don't want to get involved in the awful local political game.

I'm very politically motivated, but I'd rather protest, write letters, and allow the government to restrict selling hard liquor in grocery stores than to get involved in local politics. I don't hate myself enough to put myself through that.

Posted by: Anonymous Lurker Guy ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 02:49PM

At my high school, they certainly act like they are the majority. Just today, I got into a debate with the history teacher about him making statements about the legality of abortion and female rights with no basis in history. I don't want to start a debate over that here because it's against the rules, the point is he was asserting non-neutral political statements as fact in class and I called him out on it. I was fairly upset, and a lot of my classmates got mad at me as a result. Luckily I've always been the social outcast, the weird kid in the corner with his pony dolls, the guy who never talks, etc. With that being the case, I can sit back and observe the community around me.

In seminary, the teacher constantly boasts about the high percentage of mormons at the school, and even gets upset that more aren't coming to seminary. Talking to anyone around here outside of my circle of friends, they all act exactly like mormons. As far as I can see, they are the overwhelming majority where I live.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 02:51PM

I think your thinking is sound. Mormons still count everyone as Mormon,

whether they are BIC who left the church before baptism,

if they were were baptized and left a week afterwards,

ALL of us are counted as members until we are 101.

Honestly, I think this 101 thing is another lie. I strongly doubt that the Mormons check obituaries and then wait 10-20 years, and then erase the dead people from their roles.

I wonder where the dead but still counted Mormons fit in?

Are the 60% leaving just the ones who officially resign or are excommunicated? I doubt they count the ones who merely drift away and stop attending--the Mormons think these people are coming back, and are just being "less active" for a while.

Anyway, I think your calculation of about 76% to 24% might be accurate. This doesn't include NOM's. I see this in Salt Lake City, in the business world, and, specifically, in my neighborhood, and among young Mormon parents, who take their children out with them, and among older Mormons who become too wise. When a house sells in our neighborhood, it is usually to non-Mormons. The Mormons dominated my neighborhood so much, that I considered moving away, but now, 8 years later, there is only one dwindling ward left, the older Mormon couples have sold their homes and retired to St. George or away on missions, and the non-Mormons have taken over the PTA and, of course, all the community service and charity groups. The Mormons still have a hold on one elementary school here, and have completely ruined it, and it will probably close down in two years. All the non-Mormon parents are bring their children to our school, instead, and we welcome them.

Also, I think probably everyone from out-of-state is on to all the MLM scams here. Those business aren't doing well--but they have always eventually collapsed. Utah is also becoming more Democrat.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 03:11PM

In areas where middle class people live the numbers change quite a bit. In Pleasant View, for instance, on my street there are about 36 houses. There is a neighborhood list and looking at that I can see there are six people who are NOT in the ward list, so 30/36 are Mormon. And most (not me) are active, they go to church, probably about 27/30 are people who go to church. In Perry, Box Elder county, where I used to live, the ward had a map with 128 houses. There were 8 homes that were "X"'d out meaning they were not Mormon. I was the ward clerk for a while. The Sacrament meeting attendance averaged just under 60%. Now what that means is that MORE than 60% would go most of the time because people would miss because of illness or vacations, so we obviously would not get 100% ever. What I am saying is that in some areas, outside of Salt Lake City proper, the concentration is actually higher than your 60% number, much higher. And the activity rate is a bit of a misjudged number because average attendance at Sacrament meeting is NOT an indicator of the percentage who "believe", many people miss a Sunday meeting for the reasons I indicate, every week people fall into that category. Now, if I may, I'd like to reiterate something I've said before...if you look at the peripheral statistics, like political affiliation, Utah actually looks much worse than your Mormon/Non Mormon statistics. I checked all 36 people (couples, so it was like 72 people) on my street for political affiliation with the utvoters.com (which has now been taken down, fyi...). I was the only democrat and there were 12 of the 72 who were unaffiliated. So the Mormon culture and Mormon political influence is really, really, deep and strong in Utah. I know it is different in Salt Lake City (the city). But outside of that location it really sucks as bad as some of you think it does....fyi.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 03:15PM

numbers don't mean much in this case--it's who holds the power in gov't/jobs/money to make the decisions and for now anyway--as long as the legislature keeps meeting with and listing to the lds church and their schedules, preferences, etc... dictate day-to-day life, then they'll keep feeling like the majority.

as forestpal says.. things are changing, thank god. When non-mormons can be themselves in public and don't need an anonymous forum where we can "recover" then we'll know that we're the majority.

Posted by: Battle-ax ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 03:51PM

You are right, there are pockets where there are more Mormons and more active. On the other hand things are changing. So with out getting political don't be afraid to speak up and think you are the only one. You will be surprised you are not. You don't have to run for office but in your city, school and other places say something when a line is crossed. A few weeks ago I got a policy changed on a district level in less then two weeks because of what happened to my child. My child was the only inactive/non-mormon in the group at school when this incident happened. One respectful call to a vice principle resulted in a district wide change where the vast majority is Mormon. He was sacred of legal action even thought I didn't threaten it. Teachers and coaches complained but they held out and said no more. It can work. We are more powerful then we think but only if we speak up in our own way. Even in heavily Mormon pockets it works.

I had a state representative tell me this year the in the last three years they have started to get major push back on LDS influenced bills then ever before and the church didn't have as much influence especially in the House. He says the problem is the church has the Senate leadership in their pockets and they kill bills even if they would of passed. Zion curtain bill and SB100 gay rights.

Break down the false barriers of group think and say something when things aren't right you may be surprised how many others wanted to say the same thing, even some active Mormons.

Posted by: Battle-ax ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 11:36PM

Posted by: Keyser ( )
Date: April 24, 2014 03:55PM

are just as, if not more, dogmatically Mormon in their belief and mindset than active Mormons. Active Mormons may be the minority but Mormonism is still the (overwhelmingly) predominate belief system and mindset in Utah.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 11:55PM

I think the majority of the people in my city speak Spanish at home, but that is not where the political power lies.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 12:17AM

I agree.....stand up and be vocal. Drown out those arrogant
Mormon politicians.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.