Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:19PM

Growing up in the church, Astrology was always a bit of a taboo subject. People often referred to such things as "Satan's mocking version of the Priesthood" or whatever. I don't think Satan really needs to mock the priesthood, it does tht on its own.

But I've always had a healthy interest in Astrology and other "Occult" subjects. I love reading about the signs and their positions in the sky and also the greek myths behind the constellations.

Im not talking about Daily Horoscopes, those usually bore me but the general descriptions of people's sun signs I find interesting.

I'm a Scorpio, Scorpio descriptions tend to fit me pretty well... then again, the wording is often so vague and indirect that it can fit almost anyone.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if your signs tended to fit you and what your thoughts are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:22PM

Oh yeah, I'm a split personality artistic gemini clown.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:23PM

I'm a Capricorn. The description of what a Capricorn is supposed to be like couldn't possibly be more opposite from who I am. It's so off that I have to crack up laughing every time I read it.

I do suit the Chinese description of someone born in the Year of the Dog quite well though.

A Chinese fellow in my department at work laughed at me when I said that though, He said, "Yeah, it's only for someone who believes in it."

Alrighty then.

Date: April 27, 2014 08:27PM

All I know about Chinese Astrology is that I am a Monkey.

Your co worker has it dead on, i think.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:27PM

a persons sun sign is but a small piece of the puzzle when it comes to astrology. Anyone that thinks their sun sign doesn't "fit" clearly hasn't bothered to study the other aspects that come into account when reading a chart. Newspaper columns report the sun sign because it's simpler, not because it's supposed to be 100% accurate.

Date: April 27, 2014 08:32PM

I used to know all of my signs, and I used to have the charts to figure them out. I wonder where those went.

Posted by: Cancer Sun/Venus/Mars... ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:57PM

nonsequiter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to know all of my signs, and I used to have
> the charts to figure them out. I wonder where
> those went.

Gemini Ascendant/Mercury
Leo Moon

Sound familiar, possibly?

Posted by: Cancer Sun/Venus/Mars ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 09:01PM

P.S. I figured out the Scorpio awhile back. It was pretty obvious.

Date: April 27, 2014 09:32PM

What are you referring to? Do I know you? Or are my posts here "scorpiofied"?

Date: April 27, 2014 09:37PM

nonsequiter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or are my posts here "scorpiofied"?

Yup!!!

Date: April 27, 2014 09:41PM

Lol, cool, I take that as a compliment.

My moon is in Capricorn, by the way

Date: April 27, 2014 10:15PM

Scorpio can be an extremely strong sign (which can be used either positively, or negatively).

Combine it with a Capricorn Moon, and you've greatly intensified all of the already "strong" elements.

This has a two-sided potential:

It could make someone the equivalent of a national hero or a historic patriotic legend--fighting single-handedly against impossible forces on behalf of a just cause...

...or, on the level of daily life, someone who--in their own local area of influence--is just stubborn, uncompromising, uncooperative, and immovable...

But either way: strongly determined from deep within to prevail.

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 09:44PM

Aquarius with Gemini rising, moon in Virgo, Mars and Venus in Pisces.

Date: April 27, 2014 10:18PM

This is a really nice chart, Lilith.

All the best of the potential of the air signs, balanced with both water (feeling) and earth (practical doing).

I bet you could accomplish just about anything you set out to accomplish!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:29PM

Well it's only entertainment for me. I'm certainly not about to take it seriously.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:31PM

that's too bad. It can be very insightful if you take the time to study it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:33PM

I'm a Leo supposedly, but everything I've read about astrology sounds like a very large pile of horse$hit...and to hear some people who seem to run their lives by it, it sounds like another cult.

Ron Burr

Date: April 27, 2014 08:38PM

What a leo thing to say, haha, I'm joking.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:47PM

When talking 'astrology', and it's rarely, I always say that it's a crock of sh1t. I mean, really, what the flying fuck does some goddamn star - a non living/thinking object, a trillion light years from me, know what the hell I'm going to do tomorrow!

If some dizzy bitch ever said to me, "Oh, the stars and planets are aligning in your favor", I'd tell her to shove 'em up her ass. Ya, as if stars and planets are flying out of their assigned orbits and lining up just for itty bitty, little ol' me.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 10:08PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:46PM

Astrology is to astronomy as alchemy is to chemistry. When a child grows up, he learns that the Easter bunny is fake, yet rabbits are real. Though you can't turn lead into gold, both lead and gold are real base metals.

Astrology is not a discipline, it's a parlor game. I once had a room mate who was a believer, and he had all of the astrologer's handbooks--the ephemera, planetary aspects, sun signs, etc. I sat down with those books for just two hours, and I was able to cast a horoscope for planetary aspects for anyone who gave me their date of birth. There are also lunar aspects, but those require a computer to track. I cast horoscopes for visitors I'd never met, and they were astonished. Even my room mate was surprised, because he was too lazy to study his own books. He was like a Mormon bragging about the Book of Mormon without analyzing it.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 09:20PM

Us Cancerians don't believe in that stuff.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 02:16AM

Leo but turned out to be a Cancer. There was a girl on my dorm floor who was very "into" astrology. She told me that arriving early caused a terrible confusion in my astral charts (whatever the *bleep* those are).

The one thing she was dead-clear about, however, was that I should NEVER get into a relationship with a Sagittarius. Well, my first husband was a Cancer, like me, and THAT was bad news.

My current husband - and in fact, his children - are ALL Sagittarians! We've been very happy for nearly a quarter of a century.

Clearly, astrology is at best, a flawed pseudo-science!

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 10:29PM

Jyotisa/Vedic/Indian/Eastern/Sidereal astrology identifies signs differently than Western/Tropical astrology. I find that personally I have select characteristics typically representative of those born in each of my signs.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 10:33PM

Didn't someone figure out that over the last few thousand years there was some "drift" and people may not really be the sign they think thry are?

Date: April 28, 2014 01:27AM

Yes that's somewhat true. There was also talk of a thirteenth constellation.

In Scorpio's case it used to be ruled by just Mars, and was a very intense and heated sign. Now it is co ruled by Mars and Pluto. Since then Pluto has apparently played a role on the sign, a very different planet than Mars. So Scorpio has picked up a lot more mystique to its elements...

So in a sense the signs themselves change over time anyway.

Then again, Pluto's not a planet anymore

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 11:06PM

Try reading the descriptions of the signs without looking at the titles first.

Can you pick out your sign based on description alone?

Can this be done by a statistically significant majority of participants in a study?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2014 11:07PM by archytas.

Date: April 28, 2014 01:28AM

I can, but only because I know what to look for. I can pick out most signs (Ive done tests like that before, but most people dont pick their own sign)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.