Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 09:44AM

Hi All,

As progress in recovery, I've been turning my attention to other things lately, including another international move, so I've not been here much. However, I need rotator cuff surgery, and I can't think of another forum that's as helpful as RfM.

The damage is bilateral, so we'll be doing both shoulders in turn, starting with the right. That means my right arm will be in a sling for 4-6 weeks, and it will take a few months before I have strength again.

I'm pretty much a full-time homemaker, so I do the shopping, cooking, housework, household research, etc. I also do a bit of writing for clients, which I'll have to postpone or do in advance.

I'm looking for practical suggestions for coping one-armed for this time. I'm right-handed, so it will be awkward on that count too. (We're starting with that arm because this is a drive-on-the-left country, so I shift with the left arm. When I can drive again, I'll be able to shift my manual car with the 'good' arm.)

Can you help me with suggestions for clothes I can manage, tips for taking care of myself and handling ordinary activities? For instance, putting on the bra will be an issue, and I don't have the kind of figure that can easily go bra-less. A further complication: We've only lived in this country for 3 months, so I have no relatives or even friends to help me out. It's just me and my husband, and he's off at work every day.

I appreciate your collective wisdom and experience!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 09:57AM

Just getting over similar situation. It is literally a pain!

Get TP before sitting down.
Wear button-up shirts/blouses.
Wear pull-up pants and stretchy socks.
Yep, bras are impossible.
Keep dishes low in kitchen.
Have extra pillows to prop arm for sleeping/resting.
Forget about the makeup.
Use an electric toothbrush.
Ask for help in housekeeping.
Wear glasses instead of contacts.
Take spit baths for a few days post-surgery.
Shop ahead of time for needed items, food, etc.
Accept all help offered!

Good luck! It's not fun, but life gets better in time!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 10:08AM

Sounds like good advice from anontoday.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 10:09AM

Driving, especially a stick shift, will be the hardest thing that you do. When your right arm is in a sling, you will lightly grip the wheel with your right arm and shift with your left. For turns, reach all the way around the wheel with your left arm and make the turn. Shifting as you turn will not be possible. Make sure that your first trip out is in a relatively quiet area until you get used to it.

I'm not sure that driving with your left arm in a sling will be possible.

It's critical not to reinjure yourself while recuperating. The temptation is to do too much.

Date: April 27, 2014 11:00AM

Some more:

Cook ahead and freeze meals.
Stock up on ibuprophen and get meds ahead of time.
Wear slip-on shoes.
I couldn't drive for three months, so I can't help you there.

Summer is right. Healing will come faster if you don't push it.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 12:01PM

Sorry to hear about this, Lorraine. I had surgery for "frozen shoulder" which recovery from was more extensive than rotator cuff. I concur with the suggestions of other posters. The only things that I could add would be if you blow dry your hair, you can buy a hands free stand. They are online. Also, to keep your incision dry while showering, use Glad "Press 'n Seal" wrap with some white medical tape. You could also buy some Genie-type bras that don't have hooks that are one-piece stretchy fabric.

Don't sweat the small stuff and let yourself heal. "Stay ahead of the pain" with your meds and take 1/2 hour before physical therapy. And come here or FB for support, okay?

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 11:58AM

Three months post-op I thought, 'This is nuts. My arm hurts more now than it did before the surgery.' I asked the surgeon when the 24/7 waking hours pain would stop. He told me in another two weeks, although for some people that's another six weeks. He was right. Two weeks later the pain started to subside. Good as new in another couple of months. So be very patient. Go to PT and take an NSAID like ibuprofen before you go. Do the home exercises as much as possible.

Good luck!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 12:13PM

I'm sorry you have to go through this, síóg!

I'm wondering if they (the doctors) will immobilize the upper arm while you are healing but leave the hand free to at least grasp small things?

I don't have any suggestions but I hope you will heal quickly.

You have moved again? What country are you in now?

It's nice to see an update from you but I'm sorry to hear your shoulders have been causing trouble for you.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 12:16PM

Can you get/hire temporary part-time help for housekeeping, cook, get groceries, etc.? It sounds like that would really help...

Posted by: S2 in Chandler ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 12:27PM

Lorraine,

If they are doing any bone spur removal during the rotator cuff repair, you will find that the most painful issue during the first 2 or 3 weeks post surgery. The actual cuff healing time and therapy depends on damage to be repaired and damage caused by the surgery. I had this all done last year as well as a biceps reattachment. Surgery done end of August. Finished therapy Thanksgiving week. As much full strength as was going to come back was at about the year mark.

Wear loose clothing, baggy shirts, take the pain pills. Don't try to be a heroine before therapy. As has already been said, take the drugs before therapy. PTs are professionally sadists (so it seems to me), but follow their instructions for stretching. You'll appreciate it later, not so much during the sessions.

I can't speak to the bra issue, obviously, but unless one is absolutely needed, I'd say forget about it.

Driving a stick shift with a wonky shoulder will teach you a lot about driving with your knees.

Good luck,

Sterling Skouson

Date: April 27, 2014 12:43PM

Some more:

Keep ice on hand. It's your best friend.

Have books/remote close. Entertainment makes the time go by faster.

Good luck, and keep in touch!

Posted by: jbstyle ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 02:11PM

I second the recommendation about ice. I would buy a selection of ice packs--look for flexible ones you can drape over your shoulder, and buy enough that you can always have one ready to go.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 12:55PM

I don't have any experience here, so I'm just taking a guess. Perhaps a front-clasp bra would be a good thing to add to your wardrobe if you don't already have one. I think it would be easier to get on and off without having to do the twisting movements and need less assistance to get dressed. Also maybe button up shirts instead of t-shirt, so you can avoid some overhead movements.

I think overhead movements are going to be a problem, so if you have any ingredients or anything you use regularly that's on a higher shelf, you might want to move those down until you can get back into reaching.

Exercise your arm for writing. Of course talk to your doctor or physical therapist about what you can do safely. I had such a hard time getting back to work after being out of commission for couple of weeks. You don't really think about the necessary muscles for something like typing. It was actually painful trying to get back into the swing of things, so I would suggest some daily exercises or writing so that when you get back to work it's a little less difficult to get back into it.

Make sure to get a haircut before your surgery and maybe now would be a good time to try something new if your hair takes some considerable work to style and be presentable. You might want to look into a sleeping cap or bonnet to minimize the amount of styling you have to do on a daily basis.

I think if I had the money, I would hire a housekeeper and make use of delivery services if I needed and spend the extra money for dealing with laundry and making the bed and what-not. Also, if you don't have a good pair of walking shoes, you should go get some, since you might find yourself having to walk to the store instead of driving. Hopefully you have some place close enough you could walk to if you go and run out of a staple when your husband is away. Otherwise be diligent about planning in advance so you don't find yourself without something you need.

Posted by: paintingintheWIN ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 01:39PM

food stuffs until you can pour hot water safely )balance, fatigue, pain immediately after surgery(

get in a basket or counter: granola bars, oatmeal breakfast bars
(until you can move a pan on the stove)
(until you can carry and pour milk, open frig door)

put on a shelf of frig: put in a case advance date YOGURT

put on a shelf of freezer: mini meals to microwave- one step
no parts, no cutting, no combining just surviving

put on a counter: a case of juice (open boxes, wrappings making sure they are disconnected easy to pick up) *variety of beverages for healthy calories without needing to boil water

put on a counter: coffee: the pod people are in ! if you can afford to use a pod coffee maker my senior citizen aunt in recovery from surgery taking care of my 80 + year old uncle, put a coffee maker that makes one cup- you have water poured into it, and put in an (expensive to me) little pod pack, close the pod top and press a button- one cup of hot coffee is there for you.
I don't know if I could press the coffee in my french press, I hold the pot at the front with one hand and lean forward and press down with the opposite hand. It would have to be a machine coffee?

on a counter or low shelf: cans to heat and serve; favorites: refried beans or black beans, chili, soups.

by the cans, plugged in: an electric can opener

A stack of paper plates and even disposable cups for the first four or ten days after surgery, maybe plastic forks and spoons

precut veggies to eat raw, or precut veggies in frozen bags to pour and heat. You can make serving size into sandwich baggies pre surgery to get you through the first two weeks.

a bag of pre shredded cheese tucked in door of frig to grab, drag, open and improve the chili.
a bag of small tortillas- to microwave quick casa dia using already shredded cheese.
if addicted: a case of ortega already diced chilis for casa dias
on the counter
for your joy: five or six taco bell or ortega (name your brand) hot mild taco sauce lined up between chilis and case of refried beans.
Just grab and go

You elaborate & cook like a chef as the weeks go on after each surgery. Safety first. I would cook stove top- not carry oven pots; I would saute simmer flip fry but not boil noodles which require draining for the duration. SAFETY first!

Sandwhichs have layers to stack that have to be connected and then they can fall apart its frustrating. I like how casa dias glue layers together- add mushrooms peppers cooked meat- it doesn't fall apart when you're eating one handed.

Safety first: when on pain medicine avoid flames & cookin. Utilize that microwave & electric can opener very much. Nice yogurt! snack bars, fresh fruit take a bite. Not walking spinning around much in the kitchen! Safety first!

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 01:56PM

Hello there Lorraine. Sorry to hear of your difficulties and I agree with other posters with regard to mitigation of chores and driving issues.

I'm not sure if you have Tesco or other supermarket delivery services in your area but if you do I'd check out that option - it could save you some driving and carrying whilst you recover.

You might find placing a local ad for temporary help (agencies often have people available). Also, if you are being treated under the NHS, they can offer things that might help you out - worth checking out. I do know that if I'm incapacitated here in the UK there are home visit services available.

My niece is a doctor in your area, working at a nearby hospital, but I understand she may be still within, or at the end of her maternity leave. I will make some enquiries if you like, as she will know what facilities are available in the area for mobility issues. Failing that, there are other relatives nearby who may know what is available in rehabilitiation and physio services.

I will see if I can recover your e-mail address (a new computer here) and try and contact you directly.

Do take care my friend - I'll see what I can find out in the meantime.

(Edit): I have sent you a private message on FB.

Hugs

Briggy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2014 02:09PM by brigantia.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 02:39PM

Purchased this for my shoulder surgery years ago and we have used for my husband's shoulder replacement, hip surgery and, as I type, my husband is using this on his back. (He is having back surgery on Wednesday.) It is a life saver but it takes a lot of ice and I'm not sure that you will have a US sized freezer where you live. You may want to talk to your doctor about something like this. It really is worth it. Link is safe:

http://www.donjoy.eu/assets/images/PIM2/brochure/brochure_icemancooler.pdf

Moira

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 02:39PM

Hi Lorraine... its nice to see a poster here from the old days when I was here 24/7. I have no suggestions for you about recovery after your surgery, it sounds like you are getting some great ideas from others here. I just the hope that you recover swiftly with no complications . Oh and let us know how you are doing and where you will be moving too .

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 03:34PM

I'm looking at shoulder surgery soon when I have good insurance again. Mine will be more exploratory so not as severe, I don't have rotator cuff injury, some other part I don't yet understand.

I can't imagine how you are going to drive a stick like that. Ouch. Please be careful, I think it would be really easy to accidentally use your arm/shoulder in an driving situation where it is use it or crash. Not because of you but others. Can you borrow an automatic car? Do you have any drivers in your family that can drive you around for errands?

I hope all goes well, and there are some great ideas here that I would never even have thought of until I was trying to eat or bath or dress after.

Safety is first!! You would not want to go through that and than do damage and have to go through it a second time. good luck

Date: April 27, 2014 03:53PM

Your suggestions are wonderful and insightful. Thank you for taking the time to share them. And it's good to hear from old friends. Sterling--I've lost your email address. Dagny--Old friend!!! Saucie, good to hear from you, another old timer. Thanks, Moira and Brigantia. Cheryl, glad to see you here. I'm still at the same email addresses as I was seven years ago.

I've ordered some pull-on trousers and I have button-up shirts. We use a housekeeping service, and I'm sure I can get extra help there. Also, Briggy, yes, I'm registered with Tesco home delivery. Right now, I'm a 3-minute walk from the urban train line (though we need to move, too).

As for the driving, I don't think I'll be able for it for a while after the surgery. Between the train and the corner grocery (as well as the Wine Mark) within a 5-minute walk, until we move I should be okay. Not sure what happens if we move before or soon after the surgery.

The tendons of both shoulder are torn through. (I blame the industrial strength bra straps and shoulder bags.) So I don't know about bone spurs, just torn tissue.

There's loads of good advice here; I'm going to print it out and compile a list. And I'll check back tomorrow.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 04:29PM

So the suggestions you're receiving might help me as well. Sounds like I'm lucky to have a less extensive procedure with less time under a general and with luck only a four week recovery time.

Once it's over and you're feeling stronger, I'm sure you'll be relieved and glad for what medical science can do. I like what posters are saying about safety and patience, about dealing with pain and following the directions. I've found that it's best to take extra precautions and care and never cut corners when it comes to recovering from any kind of surgery.

Take care.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 04:18PM

I perked up when I read your post. I work with patients going thru this! You already got some great advice. Your medical staff often has a list of things to prepare your home for..just ask!

First, start gathering up a local support system. Since you will not be able to drive, arrange a couple of supportive folks for help. No family? Ask your Dr if you qualify for home visit care. (This depends on your condition and insurance. You might have to pay out of pocket if you need extra assistance with things that are impossible to you)

Program your phones with preset numbers. Emergency contacts, work, family, Dr numbers.

Get clothes you do NOT have to pull over your head. Ones with zippers or snaps work best. As far as bras, you can find these camisole tops with built in shelf bras. You will have to have help putting those on, but MUCH easier than having someone assist you with brahooks, cups, etc. Get elastic waist pull on pants and slip on shoes ready.

If your state allows, get a temp disability parking pass for the time of your recovery. This will allow anyone driving you to park in handicap spaces. This will make it MUCH easier for you coming and going in those first few weeks.

Arrange your home to be friendlier to your recovery. Put frequent things in easy reach. Prepare as much as you can in advance to make things easiest on YOU and any caretakers you might have to help. Fill your freezer with casseroles. If you are blessed where you can afford/have groceries delivered-this is a godsend. Forget dishes. Get paperplates.

Delegate housework, or arrange for someone to come in once or twice a week.

Talk to your Dr AHEAD of time about pain management medications AND anti nausea meds if you do not regularly take them. GET something in advance for constipation, as pain meds can painfully slow things down.

You will needs LOTS of water to aid in staying non constipated and hydrated. (Every cell in the body needs H20 to metabolize and heal!) Get a great big sippy cup with a straw:)

Load up on reading material.

Get pillows, bed wedges, etc to make your self comfortable NOW. A nursing pillow is great for people with shoulder issues..as you can rest your elbow on it and get a break from the sling.

Slings that are provided to you are notoriously cheap and wear out fast. To help, get a washcloth and a safety pin. Create a tube with the cloth and pin to the strap at the back of your neck when you are properly positioned. This way if the strap is comfortable on the back of the neck and doesnt cut into your skin.

Keep open communicate with freinds and family from afar, even if they can not be there. If you have a headset, try skype to voice!, a bluetooth for your phone, voice recognition software (exspensive, but if you are going to be so limited for 6+ mos.sooo worth it!).

DO get out. Being housebound will drive you nuts. Do something that is not just for the household. Go to the library, a musueum, etc. Find new socialization to built up your circle of support for the next go round.

Hope this helps!

RMM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 04:35PM

Lovely to hear from you siog, but sorry for the circumstances.

The comments above are wonderful and useful, as always around here.

I like all the suggestions above. I was going to say maybe hubby could help with the bra but maybe he's gone before you're dressed. So, the sports bra type thing sounds like a winner.

I agree with safety first - be cautious with the painkillers until you find out their effect on you. They tend to be sedating and some may kick in fast and take you by surprise so be in bed or at home for sure til you see how they work on you.

The general rule of pain relief is that it is usually far more effective to control the pain immediately or to keep it from escalating than to wait and try and decrease it if it gets more severe. So, don't wait til you are in a lot of pain before taking your Rx. (Of course, it's recommended that you follow your MD's advice but you can also go with your own trial/error and wisdom). Take the pills regularly, at least at first, to control the pain, rather than waiting til you *really* need quick and massive pain relief.

My mom had hip surgery and never being one for taking pills she refused even simple analgesics at first until she got almost delirious with pain and that persuaded her to get with the program! Of course, usually it's best to take the least amount of pills possible but not immediately post-op or til you see, gradually, where you're at with it.

Again, re safety, see above re being around heat, fire, other dangers. Maybe try microwave meals for a bit or eat cold. Between pain levels, lack of mobility, fatigue (pain can make you tired as well as the extra effort to do simple things like getting dressed and especially painkillers/sleeping pills obviously, etc) and effects of meds, you will want to make simple/cold meals. I also agree with making other arrangements re driving.

Accept that you will have a period of "disability" where you won't be your usual energetic self. It's instructive to find out first-hand how much you have used both arms and shoulders!

The keys are to think and plan ahead and be prepared for "what if's".

Another key is to work through the pain and immobility, in the sense that you do the prescribed exercises even if it hurts (under the supervision of MDs and physios, of course). Although we tend to freeze up to avoid pain, it's much better for our bodies to keep them moving.

Have rehab goals and use them to encourage yourself about possibilities of full recovery and timelines for when you're going to be up and running 100% again.

Re the writing for clients, I wonder if you could use a recorder of some sort and maybe find a typist if needed to get it out in written form for you. Another alternative is to use Voice Recognition (although as a transcriptionist I hesitate by reflex to recommend a "rival" to my profession!) It will "type out" the words for you and then you would only have to edit a document rather than type it all yourself.

All the best to you, Lorraine. I hope you are enjoying your new country and that you sail through surgery and recovery. Let us know how it's going.

Date: April 27, 2014 05:22PM

Ah, Nightie. So good to hear from you. Big Smile.

Posted by: Nevermo1. ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 04:35PM

A slow cooker would be a God send for preparing meals!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 05:57PM

You are smart to plan ahead. Three plus years ago I took a bad fall and fractured my humerus in 4 places and it also crushed part of the humeral head, so my shoulder is permanently a little out of place. It was a long healing process and I will always have some limited mobility.

The best thing I finally did was consult an occupational therapist. They have lots of tricks. Took a month until I could put my keys in the ignition and reach over to shift with my left hand. But I drove after I could do that.

Get some of those little plastic grabbers in the kids toy dept. You can get a good functional one at a medical supply, but those little ones come in really handy. They're only a couple of bucks keep them around everywhere.

Sports bras that you can step into are easier to pull up. I got addicted to the "cloud pillow" that you can get at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Helps give you support in different ways. Get a stand for your blow dryer. It could be a long time before you can hold anything over your head.

There is a brace that goes around your neck that has a loop for you to hand your arm on. You'd be amazed at how much it helps to just give your shoulder a rest from arm weight that pulls on it even in a sling. You may need to make a recliner into your bed for awhile.

Found this after about 6 months and would have given anything to have it in the beginning:
http://cozywinters.com/shop/hot-cold-shoulder-wrap.html

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 06:27PM

I have some bra ideas if you can. No sewing machine involved. Susan I/S has my e-mail address.

From personal experience, I'd recommend a hand-held shower, like a Shower Massage. They have multiple settings that require just a very slight twist of the wrist: regular, massage, narrow stream. You can aim it away from your incision.

I'm assuming you live in an apartment. You would install it, keep the old shower head, and swap the heads back out when you move. It's an easy installation. (I recently replaced my old Shower Massage after 20 years of use myself and I'm not very mechanical.)

There's also a red gasket thing inside it that you can take out if you hate low-flow shower heads. After the fact, you'll probably love the Shower Massage for cleaning the shower or bathtub as much as I do.

I would also recommend a bath seat. After surgery, you can feel unsteady on your feet standing in the shower from the pain meds. The bath seat made me feel safe and in control.

Wishing you a very good recovery,
Ms. Hurry

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 07:35PM

I hope you get some good ideas. Say, I know nothing about shoulders. My right one is bothering me. How did you know it was a rotator cuff problem? Did they see it on a scan or was it from things you can't do with that arm anymore?

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 09:55PM

I,ve broken my right collar bone and it took 3 surgeries to fix it. I've been in a sling longer than 4-6 weeks. i'm right handed. I dressed myself and I don't know how I did it. I wore a sports bra. the thing to remember is to let your arm hang at your side and pretend it is not there. only sleep on your back or left side.

I also had 3 foot surgeries on my right foot. the latest one was in February and I just return to work 2 weeks ago. I work in a factory and my foot is very essential to my work. It hurts so much because of the 2012 surgery and this one this year to realign my big toe. I hate crutches and casts.

I 'd rather deal with my shoulder then my foot!. Good luck I'm sure your not as worse off then me. At least it is not a broken bone. make sure you get your fix of pills. I'm sure you will be just fine.

Posted by: Monica ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 10:07PM

Two things:
Keep a post-op pain journal where you log dosage and frequency, with the goal to get off opioids asap, maybe switching to motrin after a week. Consult your surgeon's nurse at the 1 week post op exam.
Second, get your physical therapist appointments now, so there is no delay on the painful road to recovery.
Peace

Posted by: hfo ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 10:11PM

This is not to address issues of the OP, but I thought I'd mention something that happened a few years ago to me.

I'd moved my home office, and at the time was spending a lot of time on the computer. Because of my rearranged work space I wound up leaning forward with my left elbow on the desk (hand on chin) for hours a day. After a few months of this I started to develop a severe left shoulder problem. I didn't connect my posture to what was happening and the problem got progressively worse till the shoulder was so painful that I couldn't lift my left arm beyond chest height.

Went to a specialist and the x-rays didn't show anything wrong bone wise. They put me on a pain med and suggested avoiding using the shoulder.

Things got worse and worse, really bad in fact. Then I did some further research on the web and came up with an ailment popularly called "frozen shoulder." Turns out, at least in my case, that babying the thing was actually making it worse.

I stopped all the meds, and rigged up a pulley thing. Pulley up above, a light rope, and two handles. Using my right hand I would gently raise the left hand and arm up just to where it would hurt slightly. Every day I'd pull it just a little bit higher (just 5 minutes of exercise each time). I kept after this for a month or so, and the shoulder improved dramatically. Eventually the problem was completely gone (took about 6 months).

NOT medical advice, only what worked in my particular situation. Good luck to you in your problem.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 12:26AM

I had a frozen shoulder in '08. But I went under for them to fix it...from what I understand they just force it to go. Well, mine did. Once out of he had me lift it and I could. I did the exercises you described for about 2 months after. No problem for the last 5 ys. until now. Not frozen now but there is a problem. Guess I will see a Dr. in June when I am not so busy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.