Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 08:34AM

About 15 years ago, while still TBM, I was sent to a team building strategic planning type seminar for work. As part of that we were supposed to develop a "draft" of a personal mission statement to clarify our personal priorities and goals. I stumbled across it recently and was pleased to note that for the most part, despite my departure from TSCC I wouldn't really change it, add to it or anything. Perhaps that's an indicator that I wasn't "TOO" tied up with the church in terms of my own personal identity and as I further distance myself from my MORmON past it will continue smoothly. Without the church there's no doubt in my mind that the details of my life in terms of education, career and other things would be drastically different but my underlying priorities and "strategic" goals, which are more non-specific seem unchanged. (At least, 15 years ago, I didn't go on about ensuring the kids stayed faithful and married in the temple, went on missions or anything like that!)

So a question for today, something to think about. Having left or in leaving the church have or are your overall life goals or priorities changed or changing?

-------------------------------------

FYI: Here is what I wrote way back then .....

Personal Mission Statement (Draft)

1. To do all I can to ensure the happiness, health and physical well being of my family.

2. To obtain a level of financial security where the material requirements of life are sufficiently provided for and efforts previously directed towards the attainment of that security may be directed towards family, spiritual, recreational and other "optional" pursuits.

3. To eventually lead a relatively simple and (less nomadic) lifestyle throughout the second half of my earthly existence.

4. To raise my children to be honorable and productive citizens of society.

5. To organize and pass on family traditions and history to subsequent generations, so that they may learn and know their heritage. (I still think this one is important, even as an ex-mo)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 09:46AM

We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time...

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 09:47AM

Hey Scott? You forgot "Drink beer".

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.