Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:51PM

First all, the books I referenced do address some of the questions you asked.You would know that if you had read them. Second, I am not obligated to answer your questions regardless of what you expect.I gave you some references that will help and that is all I am going to do.I do have a life and the answer to your questions would require a very long answer. You started this thread implying that those who are interested in this subject are hysterical. Some of us took exception to that and rightly so. My view is that history is important,facts are important, and posters who have no idea of what they are talking about posting nonsense is wrong.That is one reason I comment. I want to put the mainstream ideas out there as opposed to the nonsense of DM Murdoch. I also think real historical people have a right to be remembered as real.Jesus and his movement changed history. That makes it important.I realize this is not what you asked,but since you implied this subject is trivial, this is my answer.Whether Jesusnwas real may not change the world, but I find it interesting and that is my right. Who shot Kennedy,whether Alexander or Napoleon were murdered,what happened to the princes in the tower or any other historical questions may not have a lot of practical uses,but I still find them interesting. If you don't,fine,but do not tell me what I should find interesting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:18PM

It was not my intention to create more conflict over this issue; but my spirited style seems to bring out the worst in some people. In fact, I actually appreciate your posts, and think that at times you take abuse here that is unwarranted. As you may have noted, I deeply respect the gospels as historical documents, and if pressed would lean toward the position that Jesus was indeed an historical figure, based mostly on my uninformed intuitions.

My use of the word "hysterical" was a poor attempt at humor, out of its closeness to "historical." It was not intended to create offense to you or anyone else.

Thank you for your participation in my post, and for your other posts on this subject. I for one appreciate your perspective.

HB

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:28PM

Okay, fair enough. I misunderstood and reacted too strongly. My apologies. It is sometimes hard to get nuances from the printed word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 08:31PM by bona dea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.