Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beavis Christ ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 09:13AM

One of my favorite things about Mormonism is that its members generally have no idea that you can read their entire temple ceremony online, including the old plain and precious truths that their apostate leaders have taken out.

I've had some fun w/TBMs when I tell them that their entire ceremony, including the handshakes is available via video, text and audio to anyone interested in it.

They are always shocked for at least a few seconds.

Anyone else had fun w/this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 18, 2011 10:09AM

Just for reference, here are all of the magic handshakes in video form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Z3YSRogyo

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 04:04PM

Date: March 18, 2011 06:57PM

Topped again :)

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 07:01PM

When I was TBM I knew that the temple ceremony was online. Hell, church authors have written books detailing every aspect of it in detail.

As always, mileage may vary.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 07:38PM

I have yet to see a book or hear of a book where the temple ceremonies were talked about in great detail BY CHURCH AUTHORS.

Some of the "scholars" like Jim Huston, Richard Packham, Deconstructor want to address this?

We as mormons in the dark ages (before the internet) were sent to the temple with NO INFO whatsoever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 07:39PM by cl2.

Posted by: snb (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 01:12AM

I don't have the name of the books with me. I'll have to either look through my own library or do a bit of research to get you some names.

It was never that odd of a thing that there were LDS approved books out there that detailed the ceremony.

I'll try to get back at ya on this :)

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 05:06PM

snb (not logged in) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have the name of the books with me. I'll
> have to either look through my own library or do a
> bit of research to get you some names.
>
> It was never that odd of a thing that there were
> LDS approved books out there that detailed the
> ceremony.
>
> I'll try to get back at ya on this :)

Sorry, but there are NO LDS approved books detailing the temple ceremony.

There has always been books available that were written by non-Mormons, "apostates" or "anti-Mormons" since the days of Joseph Smith that described the temple ceremony in detail but not by Active Mormons and especially any that were "approved" by the church.

The Mysteries of Godliness: A History of Mormon Temple Worship by DAVID JOHN BUERGER is the closest thing, but if I recall correctly, he doesn't actually detail the whole ceremony and according to FAIR he quit the church in 1992.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 11:30PM

snb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was TBM I knew that the temple ceremony was
> online. Hell, church authors have written books
> detailing every aspect of it in detail.
>
> As always, mileage may vary.

It was all in books for decades. Some members used to scope out the libraries, check them out and throw them away -- or so I was told back in the 60's.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 07:33PM

After her first trip, my little sister said she feared that she would never be able to remember everything, so I mentioned that she could just look it up online. Mommmm, JoD is being wicked!!!

Heh,heh...ain't that what big brothers are for?

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 07:49PM

I mean if this is the key to get past the sentries, and I know the key but am no longer a cult member will I get past?

Date: March 18, 2011 08:10PM

God will know your heart and therefore not let you in.

Of course, he could know your heart without some silly handshakes, too, but that never occurs to Mormons.

Posted by: deb 49 ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 11:24PM

The temple is one of the things that scared me away from becoming a member of the mormon faith. The 2nd thing was the interference and/or demands on your time, life, etc.Tks. for that video. Got to view a "secret handshake" wow.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 11:29PM

I got so freaked out when I went to the temple, because of the weirdness of it all, that I wanted to bolt for the doors. But they were closed and they actually stand back there, so I felt trapped. I also didn't want to make a fool of myself by bolting, so I stayed. But I was sure happy to get out of there again.

Posted by: deb 49 ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 11:34PM

yes, and when i've read what y'all say plus read the book "mormonism for dummies" about the strange happenings, i cringed. it would be so strange concerning the environment of this. online it shows the morman temples being beautiful buildings when asking mishies about the temples they stated i can have my late husband baptised but has to be through a male. also i can eterally marry him and we'll be man & wife in heaven.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 11:39PM

That's the hook. "Don't you want to be with your family forever?" Imagine them thinking they have the power to seal a family together forever. Arrogant.

But yeah, the members are rarely prepared for what goes on in the temple. I knew a very young girl who went to the temple to get married. She was so excited.

Instead, she came out of there crying. It was so strange that it had really frightened her. She cried a lot after that. She barely went to church anymore and her marriage lasted I think less than a year.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 01:10AM

Wasn't there a letter from someone yelling at Eric K. for revealing the temple ceremony and said something like
"Great! Now Satan knows the temple ceremony and he can READ!"

BF and I laughed pretty damn hard at that.

edit: Here's the link if you need a cheap laugh
http://www.exmormon.org/lovemor13.htm

It's the 8th letter down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2011 01:13AM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 04:10PM

Oh my....

ROTFLMAO!!!!

I nearly peed my pants on this one!!!
Geesh!!!

"The devil can read and now he can get into the celestial kingdom!!" LOLLOL LOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no!! What have you done!??? All these years of mormons keeping the secret safe and now we've gone and spoilt it all!!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I am in complete stitches here!!.. TOOOOO funny!!
How can anyone really be THAT stupid???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2011 04:18PM by becca.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 05:08PM

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 02:20AM

When I first saw the videos online I was horrified, how could they do that *gasp*

Of course that's when I was researching and on my way out.

Yeah I'd say that my mother was probably good at hiding me from the world to a certain extent.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 04:24AM

I have seen the videos too....shocking....God demanding handshakes....please!!!! WHY don't Mormons see the stupidity in this belief??? Is there any chance they think all religions have handshakes so they think theirs are just "better"?

Date: March 19, 2011 04:50PM

really in the dark about the temple are the members themselves.

It never occurred to me as a TBM that I could read them on the interwebs. This is yet another way in which active believing Mormons know less about their faith than their critics do.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 04:39PM

As you point out, the temple antics are NOT secret. And since they are a rip-off of Masonry, they are not sacred.

But they are SILLY! And that, IMO, is why Mormons won't discuss them.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 04:57PM

They careful not to discuss details even with each other and most of them assume it's hidden from everyone who hasn't experienced the temple firsthand.

It would make an interesting thread to list some of the many other basics that most TBMs don't know but are commonly discussed here on RfM.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.