Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: April 29, 2014 08:21PM

I just started Wally Lamb's "I Know This much is True." I'm only 50 pages in and wish I didn't have stuff to do...I don't want to put it down! I've read "The Hour I First Believed" (loved it!)and have "She's Come Undone" which I'll get to at some point.

Readin' anything fantastic?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: April 29, 2014 08:24PM

Reading the Divergent series. Starting the third book. A break from my usual non-fiction.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 29, 2014 08:29PM

100 Short Mystery Stories. I read a story a day or so. I also read short stories online, a favorite site: Journal of Micro Literature.

Posted by: Iwhisper ( )
Date: April 29, 2014 08:38PM

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:11PM

Proud to say I'm related to Lucretia Mott. Those Nantucket features are long lived; my mother's mother looked a lot like her. Eerie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 11:13PM by serena.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:15PM

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 29, 2014 08:43PM

Reading/studying The Slave Species of God

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 29, 2014 09:33PM

1491 to be followed by 1492

Posted by: dissonanceresolved ( )
Date: April 29, 2014 09:52PM

Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop, also Written in Red - two of the best urban fantasy books around.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 29, 2014 11:28PM

Heartsick- Already very disturbing and engaging.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 12:10AM

I'm halfway through Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Pretty good so far, a lot in it to think about

Posted by: celticlass ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 12:46AM

How to Expand Love, His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Posted by: DidIReallyBelieveThisCroc? ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 06:47AM

A Game Of Thrones by George R R Martin

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 06:58AM

I just finished An Insider's View of Mormon Origins by Grant Palmer. I'm currently trying to delve into Heaven and it's Wonders and Hell by Emmanuel Swedenborg. I'm thinking I need to put it down and drop theology for a bit :)

Posted by: essexexmo [NLI] ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:34AM

Currently reading 'Mr Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore' - but it's a bit of a slog and I wouldn't recommend it

the last great book I read - one that I couldnt put down - was 'Dust' - the last book in the 'Wool' trilogy by Hugh Howey.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 09:42AM

Just now finally getting around to reading Under the Banner of Heaven. Wow, what an interesting book!

Posted by: Rurouni ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:06PM

"No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:12PM

by Dorothea Jensen. It is part of a friends 5th grade reading. I HIGHLY recommend this book. It's only 150 pages and very well written. I learned a couple of things about the Revolution I didn't know before.

Tonight I am starting Rosemary's Baby parts 1 and 2. I need something light right now!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:12PM

The Man in the Rockefeller Suit. Interesting!

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:15PM

On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C.J. Walker by A'Lelia Bundles.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:39PM

Just finished Ehrman's "How Jesus Became God" and am currently reading "The Agincourt Bride",a novel of Owen Tudor and Catherine of Valois.

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 11:40PM

About the bible not giving a good answer as to why human suffering occurs. Actually my 2nd time through it.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:03AM

I'm finally getting around to reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Great book. She writes some great dark thrillers.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:15AM

This is funny. So I have this habit of reading the books that movies are based on. When I run out of things to read, I go find the book of some movie I just saw. Recently, "Cloud Atlas" has been cycling on HBO. Pretty decent movie, but I figured the book would be way better. So I went to Amazon and ordered it to my Kindle app.

I am HALFWAY through it and still waiting to get to the other five plot lines, and am wondering why what I'm reading isn't in the movie.

Then I went to Amazon to look at reviews and realized that I ordered a book called "THE Cloud Atlas," which is actually a completely different book, by a completely different author. Still, it's a good book and I'm enjoying it, so I'm going to finish it. But I thought it was funny I got halfway through before realizing that I wasn't reading what I thought I was reading. :>)

FYI, "Cloud Atlas" is only available in paperback or hardback; it's not a Kindle book.

Posted by: shareesus ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:41AM

I'm reading "The Lost Life of Eva Braun" by Angela Lambert.

Would highly recommend, I have exhausted so many other topics related to World War 2, it's very interesting to learn more about this not-so-documented historical figure. I feel for her, honestly. Also, she looks a great deal like I look.

"Under the Banner of Heaven" is one of my favorites, by the way. Also "Slaughterhouse 5." When you're done with that, you should try "Sirens of Titan." It's my favorite Vonnegut.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 11:12AM

Just started Lady Catherine, the Earl and the real Downton Abbey, after that I have Lady Alimna, The Boylen trilogy, The Invention of Wing and Practice to Decive lined up. Need a week off to do nothing but read.

Posted by: Lori at 51 ( )
Date: May 02, 2014 12:56AM

Mark Twain Autobiography Part 1. It's a large book and you could probably just skip to page 200-ish where the real autobiography begins. Also notes in the back to help the reader since the writing is 100 years old and he mentions people we 21st centurians aren't familiar with.

The man was great with words and makes me smile and sometimes laugh.

Lori

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: May 02, 2014 01:07AM

Taking a break from non fiction. Enjoying Steven King's 11/22/63.

Posted by: Therealme ( )
Date: May 02, 2014 02:29AM

I love King...just finished Bag of Bones. Great read.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: May 02, 2014 02:45AM

That was my first Kindle book and I loved it. I had to buy it because my DH and I were battling over the library copy.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 02, 2014 02:53AM

Last week I read "Twelve Years in A Cave," the autobiography of Jetsumna Tenzin Palmo, an Englishwoman who became a Buddhist nun and committed herself to finding enlightenment in a female body. Then she started a nunnery for Westerners in India (I think).

This week I am reading her book "Into the Heart of Life" about her insights which came from the cave experience.

Also finished "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer about the 1996 Everest debacle. He's the same guy who wrote "Under the Banner of Heaven."

I recommend all three books if you have an interest.

Queud up: Thomas Friendman's "Longitudes and Attitudes" about the whole 9/11 East/West deadlock.

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: May 02, 2014 03:10AM

"The Swerve" Interesting and thought-provoking non fiction.

"The Mask of Sanity" to better understand (and avoid) the TBM family psychopaths. Enlightening.

Random poems by Wordsworth, that a friend and I e-mail back and forth. Wordsworth always makes me cry, at the beauty of life--like a religious experience is supposed to do.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 02, 2014 03:23AM

I also just finished Ehrman's "How Jesus Became God."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.