Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 11:18AM

Or generally disgruntled, fed up with home\teaching or cleaning the chapel toilets, going on splits with the missionaries or even feeling guilty for not finding an investigator. It would be nice to hear from you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lex ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 11:21AM

I think most folk on here are from the states. I am in the UK though York to be precise.

Date: May 05, 2014 11:32AM

Thanks Lex, Yorks a great place. The Shambles and York Minster. I just love history. Best wishes.

Posted by: copper ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 11:56AM

Hi, I am in Northamptonshire!

Date: May 05, 2014 12:05PM

I see our names reveal there must be DNA connection.

Not sure if it's mitochondrial or autosomal or whatever it is, but I'm pretty sure it's not lamanitish. Regards.

Date: May 05, 2014 12:20PM

I have a first class honours degree in genetics and I certainly do not remember anything about lamanitish DNA!

It is always nice to talk to folk who are not the other side of an ocean! Did you join the uk Facebook groups?

Date: May 05, 2014 12:42PM

Wow Copper, First class honours degree in genetics. Personally, I'm just boning up on DNA after reading Simon Southerton's contributions. Would be nice to have you as a neighbour.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to Facebook. Went on it a couple of year ago but my son said I was "Billy no Mates" or some thing.

Had a friend who was a member on Northampton. She's still a member. How long were you a member for?

Date: May 05, 2014 12:55PM

My University days were a long time ago now but it is something to be proud of and seeing as you broached the DNA subject, I thought I'd mention it. I don't often have the opportunity!

There is a Facebook group UKformerLDS which is very happening. People meeting up lots and building friendships and very inclusive. I learned a lot from being on there and reading interesting messages from people. It did make a difference to me to speak to British folk. Lots of meet ups in London too.

I was a member 5ish years. TBM, Stake Calling with YW, FH Testimony, I spoke at firesides and Stake Conference. There it is again, latent LDS elitism!

Most of my problems now are general life challenges but the past year of questioning and coming out has been hard and set me back in lots of ways but is buying me a future in others, just sometimes the whole future thing seems very overwhelming.

Date: May 05, 2014 01:08PM

Thanks Copper, I will look into UKformerLDS.

I had support from friends who followed me out of Mormonism, so it my have been a little easier for me in that regard.

Maybe if I get set up on Facebook we might talk again. All the best my friend.

Posted by: nomoreguilt ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 12:54PM

I am in Scotland, served a mission in the Midlands (Coventry Mission, quite a while ago though)

Date: May 05, 2014 01:13PM

Hi, nomoreguilt, was that in Riverside ward? How long ago was it?
I'm hoping we might know the same people though Riverside was not my home ward.

Date: May 05, 2014 01:19PM

Great,I know the Admin person for that group, it is a secret group so if you decide to join it, let me know and I can ask her to add you. They just ask for folk to have some connection with the UK and to have been LDS. There are some NOM too.

But the great thing about Facebook is that you can just block people if they annoy you, so that is a great bonus :)

I thought it was hilarious when I was asked what connection I had with the UK, as I have lived here all my life. I felt like a real citizen of the world when I was asked that!

Date: May 05, 2014 01:28PM

Thanks Copper. Will have to get my son to help set Facebook up. I did say I was a dinosaur.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by: antonymous ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 01:38PM

I would appreciate an add to that group. I am North Yorkshire based, and have called it a day on Mormonism after 45 years!

Date: May 05, 2014 01:44PM

Congrats anonymous. I did over 30 years myself.

Date: May 05, 2014 01:54PM

Thanks nomoreguilt. I used to attend stake meetings at Woodsetton in the 1970's. Know a few Solihull members from the 1980's. Did you know David Cook? I knew a few from the church offices round the corner in Warwick Road. Regards.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 09:48AM

Apparently David Cook has had his second anointing!

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 05:37AM

Yes, I gather that according to TP he has had this......and I bet his wife absolutely loves it. I actually like Dave and have a lot of time for him. I wonder what his less active kids would think about dad 'receiving his calling & election'!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 06:18AM

Isn't he the guy who proclaims that he didn't kiss anyone until he was married/engaged?

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 06:58AM

Yeah, they are a nice couple.

His less active kids probably don't even know about it (even his active ones probably don't), since you're not supposed to tell anybody about it.

However, Dave Cook was on the Temple Presidency a few years back, so from that people can probably work out that he must have had his.

It really surprised me with the Cooks to be honest. Normally in the church if you have inactive children, it really hurts your social status and other people will think you're a bad parent or sinning, and people lose respect for you. But that hasn't seemed to happen to the Cooks, they're still kept a high social status in the church despite that.

Posted by: nomoreguilt ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 01:42PM

It was '87-'88 copolt, so a long time ago. I served in Chester, Telford, Woodsetton, Solihull to name a few. I wouldn't mind an add to the Uk facebook group as well please. How do I go about asking to join?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 01:45PM by nomoreguilt.

Date: May 05, 2014 01:54PM

Cool, How does this work? Is there a PM facility on this Board? I am new to it!

Congratulations antonymous! Way to go!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 04:00PM by copper.

Date: May 05, 2014 04:00PM

If anyone who wishes to join UKformerLDS sends a PM on the exmormonforums site to newname then I can add you to the group.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 08:44AM

Topping

Posted by: cityworker ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 05:39PM

you can also contact me - i know a way in

but if you are a troll 'eff off!

cityworker314 gmail com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 05:40PM by cityworker.

Posted by: Nevermo1. ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 05:42PM

Y'all should check this out!

Some Very interesting posts further down the page...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/432111093485883/

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 06:02PM

I'm still here, Copolt!

I thought of you the other day, I was listening to an old recording of Jasper Carrot and he said: "copolt of this" and it made me smile. ;o))

Posted by: O'Brien ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 06:34PM

South Staffs here :)

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 08:50PM

I'm in the US myself, but I do have family in the UK. A long time exmo aunt in Co Cork, and a TBM uncle who's a bishop in Oxford. I would like to extend a formal apology to any exmos who may have encountered him. :)

Date: May 07, 2014 03:55AM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/243876755632108/

This is the link for the UKformerLDS site.
You may find you need to be friends with someone already in the group. If so, if you contact newname as above, then I can link you to the admin lady.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 03:56AM by copper.

Posted by: zimbomonomo ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 06:28AM

Milton Keynes here. A few new "converts" in MK.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.