Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TheWizard ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 05:06PM

Honestly I have always believed we did. Before mormonism and post, but this video on FB with a baby who was dead for 2 hours coming back to life because of his mothers touch makes me wonder.
If we do have souls, when do they come into play ? because this baby was lifeless for 2 hours until suddenly he became alive. Any thoughts ?

here is the link.

http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com/video-clinically-dead-baby-revived-by-mothers-touch/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: abinadiburns nli ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 05:11PM

No.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 05:11PM

in another forum or setting, I would LOVE to give my thoughts. But not here. Nice post though.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 08:42PM

really tupps, sadly members of this forum often express fear and hostility to such topics, something of which I also have been guilty.

My answer to you, thewizard, is, we don't have souls, we ARE SOUL.

Date: May 08, 2014 11:28PM

well said!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 05:14PM

Hummm, not a priesthood holder in sight. No salad oil or special blessings involved. No fasting, no blessings, no one true religion. Only a mom. A mom with NO priesthood power.

Date: May 08, 2014 05:17PM

I'm wondering why you associate having a soul with priesthood powers?

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 05:19PM

I do think that there is an energy force that animates the biological machine we know as a body . Whether or not intelligence is housed in the life force I wouldn't even guess . But at death one can see the instantaneous vacancy of the power that moves us . Won't know until I'm dead just what that is ... or won't .

Posted by: Paidinfull ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 07:52PM

Agreed, although intellect isn't related

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 05:27PM

Not two hours, it was 20 minutes of attempted resuscitation by doctors followed immediately by a grieving mother holding her presumably dead child. The child revived after about five minutes of being held by the mother.

The science behind it.

The mother acted as an incubator, that is all. If anything it is a testament to bad doctors, not the soul.

BTW what evidence do you have that the soul exists?

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 05:53PM

It would be really cool if we have souls, and I hope we do. We probably don't, but I don't care about the odds. I like the idea :)

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 06:10PM

Not sure. I like what LasVegasRichard said...we'll find out one day...or we won't. I'm not going to worry about it. If there is, BONUS. If not, it's not going to bother me. I just hope I don't kick the bucket before my kids are grown.

Posted by: dodgeawrench ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 11:48PM

Like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Mårv Fråndsen ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 06:15PM

They sold them off early in the campaign season.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 07:42PM

NO .

Posted by: S2 in Chandler ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 08:03PM

TheWizard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Honestly I have always believed we did. Before
> mormonism and post, but this video on FB with a
> baby who was dead for 2 hours coming back to life
> because of his mothers touch makes me wonder.
> If we do have souls, when do they come into play ?
> because this baby was lifeless for 2 hours until
> suddenly he became alive. Any thoughts ?
>
> here is the link.
>
> http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com/video-c
> linically-dead-baby-revived-by-mothers-touch/

Can you define what you mean by soul?

It is a comforting thought, but cold hard facts lead one to the conclusion that there probably isn't a soul in the traditionally defined meaning.

Is there something out there? (Bow of acknowledgement to the Moody Blues.) I don't know, but I don't think so. On the other hand, I am open to evidence to the contrary. But the evidence would have to be extraordinary.

Sterling

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 08:14PM

My soul...or more to the point, my conscience is the only part of my being that matters. A conscience is something you acquire based on the example set for you. I had great examples to follow.

Ron Burr

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 10:10PM

I don't know what it is. There is a spark. Something. My mom as a nurse has felt it leave when people die... dogs, too. My best buddy Buster, a rescue dog like me, changed from a living being, my friend, into an inanimate object like a stuffed toy. I was with him. He was there, and then he wasn't, and I felt so very lonely.

I am just a dog, and they say dogs do not have souls, but all living things got *something* that is no longer there when we die. Maybe it's just whatever makes us who we are…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 10:10PM by The StalkerDog™.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 11:00PM

I don't know. And I'm fine with that.

Posted by: zenzombie ( )
Date: May 09, 2014 12:55AM

Ditto.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 11:02PM

you think a website with that name actually has credibility ?

Posted by: BoMSkeptic ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 11:20PM

When you die, its over. Get over it. The universe doesnt love you, and when you're gone, it wont be bothered one bit about your absense.

Thats life. Its better to stick with the cold reality than try to warm your conscience with myths and fantasies.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: May 09, 2014 10:51AM

+1

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 11:24PM

There is something besides the physical body that is connected to us one way or another. Call it memory, or imagination, or spirit, or whatever, it is a connection that is important.

I've had very strange experiences that defy normal physics.

I do believe some people, some much more than others, need to keep that connection with some of our friends and loved ones when they are gone. There is a specific kind of healing that some need before they can more on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 11:27PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 11:51PM

Just before my sister died , we made a pact that even if it was in total defiance of any possible rules , that she would contact me come hell or high water . Haven't seen her . So she's either physically unable or she's just plain assed gonzo . There's no power known that would stop her otherwise .

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: May 08, 2014 11:25PM

No

Posted by: Markj ( )
Date: May 09, 2014 12:06AM

and what we've come up with can be reduced to two fundamental concepts. One: People aren't wearing enough hats. Two: Matter is energy. In the universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this "soul" does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

Got soul?

Posted by: neolithic ( )
Date: May 09, 2014 12:12AM

I enjoy reading about NDE's, even if I don't know for sure whether they are real or just products of a dying mind. This is a new and growing field of scientific study, and anyone who is committed to science will try to keep an open mind.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: May 09, 2014 12:41AM

Our consciousness is directly related to our brain activity. Unless the brain is active, we have no awareness of ourselves. When we sleep at night, we have no memory of 75% of our time spent sleeping. We only remember 25%, which is our dreams, the time during sleep that the brain is most active.

Posted by: Press ( )
Date: May 09, 2014 01:01AM

Soul (anima, Latin) — the principle that anima-tes the body.

It's the difference between a live cow and a dead one.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: May 09, 2014 02:37AM

I'm going to assume that by "soul" you mean some kind of spiritual entity that is the essential person and survives death. (I study a philosophy that uses the term very differently, but the above is what I think most people in Western society mean by the word.)

I don't think we "have" souls, but that we ARE souls. The soul is just the mind, the part of us that perceives and experiences the reality outside of us. It's not an extra appendage mysteriously attached to us somehow. I think we tend to identify ourselves as the body, but what makes us meaningfully different from others is the contents of the mind/soul.

I think the soul is not put into a body that is a separate entity, but that the soul builds up the body and then tears it back down to build a new form at "death," which does not actually exist. The soul builds a series of forms to interact with its environment and abandons each in turn. Since the soul cannot die, no person can really die, either.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 09, 2014 02:50AM

I believe I'll have the sole.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.