Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gizmo ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 04:19PM

Growing up I used to love going to my mom's family reunions. They are huge events with over 100 people attending over several days. My moms family has 9 brothers and sisters, and they were all very dutiful in bringing many souls into this world. I was very close to many of my cousins. Then I moved 2000 miles away, and even more importantly, away from LDS Inc.

Every year my mom tries to get me and my family to come to the reunion, but it now sounds like hell on earth. 3 of my uncles were Mission Presidents, 1 was a BYU dept chair, and 1 is a Temple President. All of their children are extremely valiant in their love of the church.

I try very hard to avoid religious conversations, but at these reunions it will pretty much be unavoidable, and I can just imagine how it will go over when I drop the "bomb" that I no longer believe. Not only that, but inevitably one of their "activities" will be a testimony meeting where everyone gets up to bear their testimonies (everyone is in a large circle, and they go in turns...it will be very obvious when my family declines).

So, I'll just keep giving my mom the lame excuse that its just too dificult to make a trip across the country at this time of year (work and all). Even though I'd love to see everyone if it wasn't for all the church crap I'd have to deal with.

Sigh...stupid church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 05:36PM

In the 1940's and 1950's I really enjoyed the family reunions. Later on as the older generation died off they became less frequent and more boring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2014 05:37PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 07:42PM

The best family reunions must be the ones the polygamists have. The men can meet new wives there.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 07:50PM

If you have to go, focus on the barbecue chicken. Keep your beer in a water bottle (not see-through), and let these folks amuse you. That's all you can do.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 08:11PM

One good thing about reunions, you know who your cousins and distant cousins are. This can come in handy once you start to date. There will be no accidental cousin dating.

Our reunions weren't too bad. Most of the relatives that showed up weren't mormons. Only the thread of my grandfathers kids and grandkids. The rest of them wanted nothing to do with it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 08:13PM

My LDS family may have reunions but I never get invited (good)....my wife's Catholic family has them every 2 years...this is the off year...can't hardly wait for August 2015...wonderful food, special people, lots of booze....& zero Mormons...(great).

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.