Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brotherjoseph ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 12:30AM

Before going to work, sometimes the pressure of needing to get a good sleep keeps me awake.

Got any sleep-tips that you've picked up over the years?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 12:32AM

I suffer from insomnia. The thing that helps me the most is listening to hypnosis tapes. You can get them of iTunes. It relaxes me enough I can fall asleep.

Marijuana is also good and insomnia is a medical reason.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 12:33AM

chloroform in print seems to work exceedingly well.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 12:48AM

Yeah, the Book of Mormon could knock out Pinkerton. Of course, you'd have to hit him over the head with it, since he can't read.

Seriously though, a natural way that I found is reading a good book. This seems counter-intuitive. You'd think a page turner would keep you awake. But in practice, you are relaxing as you read in your bed. In time your eyes grow heavy and you dream around the story you're reading. The dialogue softens and becomes whispered thought. Your eyes close at last, and you drift away like Dobie Gray...

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 12:58AM

You're not supposed to do this, but I find listening to the TV generally helps, a story line you don't really have to watch. Reruns are good for this since you've already seen it and you should know the characters. I think it keeps me from thinking too much and having racing thoughts. Instead I listen to the TV and drift off. Music doesn't do the same for me. Occasionally I'll have a little wine. Reading has been good but with my glasses and of course having to leave a light on, I find I like the TV better.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 01:01AM

Melatonin (3-5 mg.), preferably sub-lingual, available at your local Whole Foods, health food store, or GNC.

Reduce the available light WAY down for the hour or two before you go to bed (room light, etc.), because light enters through your eyes and signals your brain to keep active, rather than allowing it to transition to sleep.

Good sex! (Partnered if you can...but solo works, too!!)

And before the melatonin: good quality warm cocoa. (My recipe: organic, UNsweetened, plain soymilk (from Whole Foods for me: their 365 house brand)...a third teaspoon of good vanilla flavoring (mine is Frontier; it's in glycerine rather than alcohol)...stevia (liquid is what I use) to sweeten (it doesn't raise blood sugar; again: 365 house brand from Whole Foods)...and one rounded tablespoon of raw, organic, cocoa powder---mine is from Sunfood (www.sunfood.com).

And something I learned from Laura Archera Huxley (Aldous Huxley's widow, from one of her books): take a warm (not hot) shower, DO NOT DRY OFF!!!, and get into bed, damp and naked. The combination of damp and warm (which you will quickly arrive at underneath the covers) takes your body back to when you were in your mother's womb, and you tend to gentle off to sleep fairly quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2014 01:03AM by tevai.

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 09:11AM

"Melatonin (3-5 mg.)"

I second that. I get mine at Wal-Mart.

Posted by: freewill ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 09:25AM

Yep, I get melatonin at Walmart as well. It works quite well. I would also suggest listening to General Conference. That would put me to sleep everytime. If you need a good nap, and you still have a recommend, do an endowment session.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 03:50AM

This sounds weird, but I have tried books that I find riveting in print, but ever since I was small, I find that listening to someone else reading a story absolutely knocks me out.

I get them from the library, so they don't cost anything, and no matter what the subject matter is, I simply cannot pay attention and stay awake. Works like a charm.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 05:16AM

I study books on yoga meditation and cosmic philosophy until I just have to sleep. Rarely fails.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 05:55AM

I get up and read for a while (either a book or the internet.) I've found over the years that it's useless to fight insomnia, so it's better to just roll with it. After half and hour, I go back to bed, and usually I'm ready for sleep.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 08:42AM

Read
Masturbate/sex
Smoke a little something something
Take a Tylenol PM
Landscape in my head
Pole dance/choreograph in my head
Practice deep breathing
Breathe through only my left nostril for eleven breaths (try it!)
Check the temperature, air flow, and amount of light/darkness in the room, make sure everything is optimal. Adjust if necessary.
Attempt to count to 1000. (I never make it much past 100.)

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 08:54AM

melatonin- puts me out within a half hour of taking it.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 08:54AM

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 09:17AM

Warm hands and feet always work for me. I use different methods of warming them up, depending on the time of year, or just how I feel. An extra blanket at the foot of the bed, a heating pad, socks, tucking my hands under the pillow, putting my feet up against dh. As long as my feet and hands are warm (and especially feet!) I fall asleep.

Melatonin helps. I usually take 3 mg sublingually if I think I might have trouble falling asleep. If I'm feeling particularly stressed out for some reason, I also take an herbal sleep aid (I like Hyland's Calms Forte).

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 09:38AM

Already many good suggestions here..

I will add-hot shower, stretching, and in a pinch a Benadryl! It has the same medication in most sleep-aids and will chill you out.

RMM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 09:43AM

If I'm worried about something, in my mind, I visualiza a paper, I visualize writing down my issue, then crumple the paper and toss it over my shoulder.

Then I tug one off.

I don't know which helps, but it seems to work.....

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 09:49AM

1. Warm milk.
2. Surprisingly enough: coffee. It resets my system.

Posted by: mistress of v ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 10:03AM

I listen to Vladimir Ashkenazy playing Chopin's Nocturnes and Ballads on a very quiet setting. Puts me right out.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61gYCqFvh-L.jpg

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 10:07AM

Turn on some noise.

http://simplynoise.com/

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 10:19AM

Even with the slightest music, I cannot sleep at all.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 10:24AM

I find music energizing but noise relaxing.

I especially like the modulated brown noise or the sound of rain.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 10:19AM

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 10:25AM

I find wearing these blue-light blocking glasses 3-4 hours before bedtime seems to help me feel sleepy by the time I'm ready to hit the sack:

http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S1933X-Eyewear-SCT-Orange-Anti-Fog/dp/B000USRG90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400076532&sr=8-1&keywords=amber+glasses

Blue light is what electronics emit - TVs, computers, phones, tablets, e-readers like the newer kindles, etc - as well as energy efficient light bulbs. It appears to be one of the big culprits that disrupts normal circadian rhythms:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Health_Letter/2012/May/blue-light-has-a-dark-side/

Someone else mentioned keeping all other household lights dimmed low after dark, which is a good habit. If lights don't have dimmers, consider buying them at Home Depot or Lowe's; they are not hard to install DYI.

If the bedroom has too much light coming in at night, consider getting blackout shades. Also make sure there's not a source of blue light (ie, alarm clock with permanently lighted time display) right next to the pillow.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 10:50AM

When I have tried everything else and nothing is working, six Benadryl tablets usually do the trick... for a few hours, anyway.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 11:00AM

don't ever listen to anybody whose sleep problems are so bad they sleep walk. i will die someday and the doctors will say tht I just didn't get enough sleep.

Posted by: Ten Bear ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 12:25PM

I have never had any problems going to sleep (to speak of). I can nod off at the drop of a hat, anywhere, anytime. But, my oldest boy has a lot of difficulty for some reason and it impacts his school, sports and well being. Sometimes I think he must be the mail mans boy - who knows. These suggestions are great, thanks for the ideas everybody.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 12:31PM

I take ambien - almost every night. 10 mg.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 12:43PM

Chamomoile Tea.

Recommended by my doctor. There are other Sleepy Time teas...non-caffeinated.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 01:37PM

masturbation and white noise (like a fan or something) does the trick for me. Nothing knocks me out like a good orgasm!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.