Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mo larkey ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 11:32AM

I overheard a conversation from some faith promoting turbo tbms that no Japanese "Saints" were killed in the earthquake.

I thought to myself... how do they already know? Too soon to tell I would say .The stats are not in yet but makes good fodder to pump each other up for Sunday school discussion.
Look at the odds...
I looked on Cumorah.com under the LDS database and I see why no one died..their numbers are dismal.. 24000 active out of a population of 128,000,000
And the stone is rolling forth-but stuck in the mud

some stats if Interested:
Official LDS Statistics
LDS Members: 122442
Missions: 7
Temples: 2
Stakes: 30
Districts: 16
Wards: 165
Branches: 129
Total Congregations: 294

Derived LDS Statistics
Approx. Active Members: 24488
Percentage of Members Attending Church Weekly: 20%
Average active members per congregation: 83

Convert Retention and Member Activity
While raw LDS membership numbers appear impressive, the actual number of active Latter-day Saints in Japan is much more modest. Activity rates are below 25%, and according to some sources, closer to 20%. Quick-baptize approaches in some areas rushing converts to baptism with little pre-baptismal commitment -- with many investigators having attended church only once or twice prior to their baptism -- have significantly contributed to the high inactivity rates, especially in the context of a culture where only 2% of Japanese attend any kind of organized religious service on a weekly basis. Poor retention of new converts, and especially potential priesthood holders, remains a serious challenge:

'In Japan, only 17% of the male members ever make it past the Aaronic Priesthood.' (source: Lowell C. Bennion and Lawrence Young, Dialogue, Spring 1996, p.19.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 12:05PM

I'd like to know how many scientologists, JW's, moonies etc were killed?

It's funny how they look at tragedies to bolster their faith, but if it were proven that some saints did die, well it was their time to go or the lord has work for them etc...

Posted by: mo larkey ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 12:39PM

sorry for the spelling should be Japanese

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:53PM

With several thousand tragically still unaccounted for I fail to see how anyone could say with certainty that no LDS were killed. To be sure, I hope none have been killed but this is just another one of those faith-promoting stories that will not be squelched by the facts on the ground. God must live and the Church must be true in spite of whatever catastrophes befall it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.