Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heber C ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 10:36PM

I was browsing the internets, looking for a CTL or WTF ring when I came across this hilarious review on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RXOGF6F2QP517

Holy fetch that is some funny stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mick ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:00PM

Posted by: Nalicea ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:12PM

ROFL! That is awesome.

I especially love:

"The curious workmanship of this ring uses the same material that was used in the weapons of the ancient inhabitants of the Americas."

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 02:49AM

Perhaps it was the curious steel timbers of curious workmanship that Nephi used to make his ship.

Posted by: mikehal ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 10:11AM

The whole review is full of subtle and not so subtle jabs.

Well done!

Posted by: chilean ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 01:54PM

Posted by: jon ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 05:03PM

That....was...Awsome!

Posted by: almost out ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 08:00PM

Did you see the other review this person did on the St Joseph statue? Priceless.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 09:09PM

Funny, funny stuff. Great. When I first heard of these rings it confirmed my thoughts that Mormons are extremely arrogant people. I teach and the kids get them and wear to school. I ignore the whole subject. Being nevermo but having a daughter who converted I dread the day a female child of hers may wear one. I will ask...."So what is meant by that? What is RIGHT????" Then I will say "Is your church saying everyone else is wrong?"

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 07:35PM

In my book CTR means "Corrupt the Righteous" not "choose the right" those silly mormong got it all wrong. Great review though.

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 10:42PM

. . . completely taken over this Amazon item's responses. And also the "helpful" ratings . . .

Posted by: mort ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 10:40AM

At least amongst the morg community?

Posted by: notamomo ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:08AM

Did anyone notice that this reviewer, "M" is a Rush fan?? He has the starman as his avatar. And the first comment was by "Didacts & Narpets" (a Rush song, for the uninitiated). So completely cool!!!

Posted by: geddy lee ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 02:35PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 01:02PM

My mother taught the class that prepares the children for baptism and bought the CTR rings for her class in the 70's to 80's before she became ill and died in 1984. They sold for 35 cents originally. Prices went up from time to time. The last I recall they sold for maybe a dollar for the 7 year olds.

Creation

The creation of the ring was headed by a committee of eight women of the LDS church: Noami W. Randall, Norma Nichols, Virginia Cannon, Vauna Jacobsen, Ruth Clinger, Virginia Bryner, Jean Hughes and Helen Evans. Head of the committee, Noami W. Randall was the first to recommend that the symbol be officially incorporated into the church's teaching material for the youth. The church wanted a "Badge of belief" for both boys and girls. Norma Nichols recalled, "Back then boys didn't wear necklaces and earrings, so a ring seemed like a good idea." The committee thought a shield would be appropriate as to "shield" the youth from temptation. A green background for the shield was recommended in relation to the evergreen tree - a tree that remains constant as seasons change. The committee contracted Coy Miles, president of a Salt Lake-based jewelry company to design the ring, and Joel Izatt created the artwork for the teaching materials.

In 1970, then apostle of the church Gordon B. Hinckley, officially announced the new "CTR" material in a church-wide conference as part of a program for six and seven-year-old children. In conjunction with the new program, each child was to be issued a new CTR ring and also be taught its symbolic meaning. At the time of its release, the adjustable CTR ring made of a combination of nickel and platinum was sold for only 35 cents. Since then, the symbol and its meaning have been taught to the LDS primary-aged youth of the worldwide church.

CTR Today

Since the creation of the CTR ring, the symbol of the shield and letters have been put on t-shirts, earrings, bracelets, bookmarks, stationary, ties and hundreds of different ring designs in over 30 languages. Manufacturers pay royalties to the LDS church in order to put the shield on their own products. Thousands of CTR rings are sold each year through online retailers and brick and mortar stores, including Walmart.

It has become popular for the members of the church, especially the youth, to outwardly express their devotion and commitment to doing what is right by wearing their CTR rings and other memorabilia.

CTR Rings

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Brandon_Young

REFERENCE:
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-History-of-the-CTR-Ring&id=1465840

Now that little children's ring has become one of many items to sell to Mormons - many companies produce them.
Of course, they pay royalties to the LDS Church!

Posted by: Heber C ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 05:32PM

Great post. Thanks Susie!

Posted by: mork ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 03:49PM

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 07:06PM

My daughter's CTR ring is in my purse right now; she lost it and I found it. I've had it in there for 4 months and just don't want to give it to her!
Those posts are very funny on Amazon! I got a really good laugh out of that!

Posted by: Chopped Liver ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 03:19PM

Ya, those posts were really funny.

I had been out of the church for like 15 years when I noticed that my daughter's 3 grade teacher was wearing a CTR ring. I knew what it was, but knew my daughter didn't. I asked my daughter, "Hey, did you see your teacher's ring? What do you think of it?" She said, "I didn't notice it. Why?" Hahahaha I said,"I thought it was pretty." (hoping to downplay my question and mislead her to thinking I meant her wedding ring.) Neither of us mentioned the ring again.

So...the kid who had no idea what it meant, didn't really care and had not noticed it. Great missionary tool.

Posted by: jennifer ( )
Date: June 18, 2011 12:11AM

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 09:18PM

I wear two WTF rings - one large one that is the 'male' version and a smaller one that is the 'female' version. When one a Mor(m)on asks me 'what does WTF mean?" I always say - oh - yeah it's 'worship the father' bwahahahahahahahaha~!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.