Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 25, 2014 12:09AM

There has been a lot of smack talk about the LBGT thing here lately so I thought it would be a good time to refocus.

***Nov. 18, 2003

0 USA states allowed gay marriage

0% Of the USA population lived in states that allowed gay marriage

DOMA was in full affect

Don't Ask Don't Tell was the law for the military.

*** Nearly 11 years later (I may be a little off on these numbers, they are changing so fast)

17 States have gay marriage free and clear.

2 More states (Oregon and Pennsylvanian) have had their prohibitions on gay marriage ruled unconstitutional, though a theoretical appeal is possible, both governors have said they will not appeal so these two states are likely the next two states to have gay marriage free and clear. So, basically:

19 states have gay marriage.

14 states have had their laws prohibiting gay marriage ruled unconstitutional, the rulings are stayed and under appeal. This includes Utah.

16 states are having their gay marriage bans challenged in federal court.

1 state, North Dakota, has not had their ban on gay marriage challenged in federal court yet, but I hear the case is being prepared.

44% of the USA population live in a state that allows gay marriage.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell is gone.

A major part of DOMA has been ruled unconstitutional.

This has been done by popular vote, in the courts and by state legislation. The culture of the USA is changing in favor of Gays and gay marriage as shown by the recent victories at all levels of society.

Yes, we have those talking smack, but are just losers trying to claim that their losing arguments are valid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corasmama ( )
Date: May 25, 2014 01:36AM

It's really made me and my family so very happy. And I think, in 2012, we hit that point of inevitability.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: May 25, 2014 10:36PM

I think so, too, if for no other reason than that year was the first time gay marriage was put to a vote and won--in both states where it was on the ballot. That was the turning point.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: May 25, 2014 01:45AM

Thanks for posting this. This was something that I never was really aware of as a kid. However, I am glad to find myself as a young adult in a society that is starting to really see humanity as equal regardless of genetics. It is exciting to watch the changes progress, as all minority (in numbers or in power) groups are getting stronger representation and more equality.

We are a long way from perfect, but we have also come a long way from where things were.

Sometimes it is this perspective, looking back, that helps us to remember that not all is hopeless when we still see open hatred and useless discrimination.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 25, 2014 02:01AM

In light of these favorable results, it should cause any thinking person to question the claimed inspiration of the unholy 15 in brow beating the church membership to support Prop. 8. What a complete waste of their time and money that has become.

Led by god. Yeah, right!

Posted by: nolongersearching27 ( )
Date: May 25, 2014 09:42AM

Love this!!!

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: May 25, 2014 12:08PM

WOW, that is a lot of change in a short time!

Posted by: anongirl ( )
Date: May 25, 2014 11:14PM

I'm very happy!

I do hope, however, that our activists start focusing more on other issues than gay marriage. I don't think it's the key to equality. Though it is a good step. I'm just against the state controlling the institution of marriage in general--but if we have to have it, obviously we should have the right to do so as much as anyone else.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.