Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 12:58PM

...Doesn't like Japenese culture and so apologised to everyone on MJ's behalf, which MJ took exception to.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Ron doesn't care...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Holy Rower ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 12:59PM

And the more pointless the argument, the more he's into it.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:04PM

But I am the one that is called argumentative.

Phhht.

Posted by: Holy Rower ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:24PM

I know the truth hurts, but the sooner you accept it, the better off you'll be.

Date: March 18, 2011 01:30PM

and I have been known to start a new thread when the other has closed.

BUT DNA is going off and HIJACKING OTHER THREADS!!!!

Here is DNA hijacking Truth Seeker's thread in order to carry on his vendetta!

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,139681,140134#msg-140134

I like how DNA says he does not want to "derail my [DNA's] thread" but he is more than happy to derail Truth Seekers!

You are defending someone that is carrying on a vendetta and disrupting totally unrelated threads to do so. Sorry, I reject any claim that I am the one truly being argumentative and inappropriate here.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:02PM

But if we wanted to put in all the chapters of the story, we'd have to add the chapter where MJ explains that the United States never took any land from the Indians, absolving us of having any blood on our hands for that.

Wisely it got moderated right off the board before DNA responded to it.

Date: March 18, 2011 01:07PM

Inj that post about The USA NOT being the nation that took Indian land I pointed out explicitly that my going over who took the land DID NOT EXCUSE WHAT THE USA DID ONCE THEY HAD THE LAND.

But I guess DNA in his haste to bash those who's opinions differ from his didn't see that, or is deliberately telling lies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 01:08PM by MJ.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:06PM

I wanted to post something funny, but couldn't get anything going.

This was awesome.

Posted by: Truth Seeker ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:13PM

Yeah & DNA didn't want to hijack his own thread, so he naturally chose to hijack mine & then apologized for it later, even telling MJ to NOT RESPOND to his last comment, since I guess he's the boss & says when someone can respond to him or not? WTF?!

Can't we just get these 2 their own chat room or maybe a thread just for the 2 of them to hash this shit out as it's now carrying over from thread to thread & it's getting ridiculous?!

I just find it funny & ironic that DNA is bitching about someone else & what they're saying & didn't want to hijack his own thread or start another thread like this one to deal directly with it; so he first thought it would be perfectly fine to go hijack someone else's thread(then supposedly regretted it & repented..LOL), not that I really care...I just found it pretty rude, stupid & asinine!

Feel free to respond to his last comment MJ if you haven't already, as I really don't care & what's done is done!

By the way, is admitted, blatant "thread hijacking" allowed here or against the rules?

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:14PM

It pisses me off.

Date: March 18, 2011 01:16PM

And today, it is still erupting into flames.

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:20PM

But it was deserved! I didn't get my damn invite.

That's like not inviting the princess to the ball.

Burn in hell demon ranch...burn in hell.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:24PM

Why must it always be all or nothing? Is there really no room for anything other than 100% one way or the other?

Honestly, it seems like the only acceptable attitude is one must love all things about the country, the culture, the language, the food, to be able to express sadness, horror and condolences regarding the tsunami and its aftermath in Japan.

So in extension, let's take 9/11 as an example; The mass murderers/suicide bombers were largely from Saudi Arabia, which is part of the Middle East. Let us now hate all things related to that region of the world, and bomb the hell out of a neighboring country without impunity. Let's feel holy in our holy hatred of the Taliban and not worry about the "collateral damage", because they're just Islamists. Those who injected any questions about the advisability of a measured reaction were accused of non-patriotism and even treason - remember?

To quote Bush, you're either for us or against us.

To simplify, for those who seem to need everything spelled out exhaustively, the less than palatable aspects of any culture have nothing, NOTHING to do with caring for the people, all of the people, who suffer tragedy, no matter the cause.

Another analogy is disgust at most aspects of mormonism, but no hatred directed at all members of the religion.

Another analogy:
A: Ouch, that hurt. Please don't do that anymore.
B: Oooh, you hate me! You must really hate me!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 01:28PM by serena.

Date: March 18, 2011 01:33PM

Why can't we all just admit that there is some good and some bad and not bash people for pointing out that Japan's culture is not all good?

Date: March 18, 2011 01:25PM

Gotta add more chapters Jon!

There is a new chapter about the guy who started a Gay thread, to which DNA pointed out to MJ, who is Gay, that detailing all the negatives about Gay people might not go over well in such a thread. As it was rhetorical, DNA didn't make such a list.

The OP of that thread comes to this humorous book and details his self-righteous indignation at having DNA go kind of off-topic on his thread. Then invites MJ to continue with his MJ'ness on that thread, further taking the OP's thread off topic because the OP doesn't mind it going off topic.

DNA scratches his head trying to figure that one out, and decides that it needs a chapter of its own!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:29PM

I'm planning a Christmas special where RaptorJesus gets kidnapped by Daniel Peterson and Kurly Shits and the only way to rescue him(it?) is for DNA and MJ to kiss and make up, on video obviously...

Date: March 18, 2011 01:49PM

That you typed "Kurly Shits?"

Great typo. I would love to see your xmas special as long as it focused on the true meaning of xmas.

Me getting new toys.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:30PM

Date: March 18, 2011 01:37PM

And MJ says he is not bothered by LEGITIMATE discussions about the shortcomings of gay culture, but that DELIBERATE TORTURE is not a legitimate point.

And where MJ that there is a big difference between the deliberate torture of humans and a natural disaster and that it was nonsensical for DNA to link the two the way he did.

Date: March 18, 2011 01:46PM

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>DNA, I'm sorry for kind of being a jerk, I drank too much yesterday while typing, and I'm a little hung over today. Lets kiss and make up OK?

OK, thanks for the apology.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 01:47PM by DNA.

Date: March 18, 2011 01:52PM

You really are pathetic aren't you?

Forging a quote, nasty, just nasty.

Clearly you have demonstrated why I do not care what the likes of YOU think of me.

Posted by: Truth Seeker ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:52PM

Wow, DNA, you're a genius..do you often talk about yourself in the 3rd person like that? LOL!

I'll try to make it as simple as I can for you, as to not over complicate things for you in your mind; I was simply telling "MJ" to feel free to respond to you one more time & that I didn't mind, since you had already made 2 comments & he only made 1(I just believe in being fair..is that a crime in your mind?), since you told him not to respond back in order to not derail & hijack my thread any further, which you had already hijacked & derailed in the first place.(apology accepted by the way)

I'm not trying to start another fight here(which you appear to thrive on), just pointing out THE FACTS regarding what happened, which you cannot deny, without looking very foolish! Would you have understood me better if I'd spoken in the 3rd person?

Are you okay man?

If you were so concerned about hijacking my thread, why did you do it in the first place? Why was it that you felt it better to hijack someone else's thread than to hijack your own or start a new one? Just curious.

By the way, I rarely even come here, don't even know "MJ" & didn't know & don't care that he's gay..but obviously you do, feeling the need to point it out in your comment...why is that DNA?

What does "MJ" being gay have to do with anything you guys were discussing regarding Japan? Do you agree that the church's electro-shock & vomit therapy at BYU was acceptable? I'm heterosexual..are you now gonna point that out in future comments? Do you base how you treat others on their sexuality? So just because you know "MJ" is gay, you decided to post a comment to him on my thread, regarding your previous conversation about Japan? It doesn't make any sense man!

Not that you're a troll or anything..but the rules for this board clearly state:

"Trolls post comments, not to add information to a discussion, but to stir up trouble. We have a lot of trouble with trolls on the Recovery Board. Some are TBMs who feel righteous when they battle apostates. Others are bored or lonely. Some are mentally ill. Some just think it's fun to mess with other people."

Date: March 18, 2011 01:57PM

Truth Seeker Wrote:....

sure, suck all the humor right out of the thread instead of starting you own ultra-serious thread!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 01:32PM

I suppose I could just park the ol' police interceptor here with the engine running and pretty soon the exhaust fumes would mask the smell...

Or I could reach for Dr. Cabbie's prescription pad and suggest MJ needs to recite the serenity prayer about Japanese cultural chauvinism--not that I don't agree, just a tad, but there are issues in the world like female circumcision, sexual exploitation of children, overpopulation, etc.--that are far more worthy targets of righteous indignation...

And DNA needs to look really deep at that veiled homophobia in his thread, but that's kind of hard when you've only been out of the church two years... Yep, it wasn't a fart, just an old odor of sanctimonious sh*t I hadn't smelled in a few years...

I was going to run him over, but I decided to let MJ do the mud wrestling with my headlights providing some illumination...

DNA you owe the board an apology to the board for those attention ho' tactics on the Dallin Oaks reparative therapy thread... You blurred the message that Oaks was trying to insist Mormonism was "normal" human behavior, and it isn't, whatever normal is...

And the reason I'm saying that is DNA really did piss me off apologizing for me by proxy to the Japanese folks here; hell, first off, I'm not in the habit of dissin' them--although their whaling stuff is stinkeroo--and second I don't pretend to know who is what ethnic background anyway, and I think I've met as many in person as any... "Yuko" gave some insights into the "dark side" of the culture, and I, as a student and unqualified to address that one, really appreciated them...

As for Ron and farting, that's a given...Probably thinks it's funny, same way I do my swearing... Only thing is there's no noticeable residual after my cussing... Same with RaptorJ's...

Now what's this about a shooting at the ranch? Drive-by or full on assault by SWAT-type Danites? I was working down in the Iris neighborhoods...

Or is it everybody's grumpy because of a hangover from drinking too much green beer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 01:37PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: March 18, 2011 01:36PM

But last night people were grumpy from the beer.

We decided to be stereotypical angry Irish drunks as we stereotyped other cultures.

Date: March 18, 2011 01:40PM

So, Yes, I will recite the serenity prayer knowing that cultures are something I can successfully work to change.

BTW, we did not change the USA culture by saying limiting the discussion to only positive aspects of the culture.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 02:17PM

I took the OP as one made in good cheer. I didn't see it as trying to stoke the flames.

As for criticism of a particular culture, I think the point many were trying to make is that there's a time and place. It's not the criticism that is the objection (as certainly RfM is a board that draws out criticism of Mormonism, religion in general, the status quo, and anything else anybody wants to discuss) but where and when it is done. Nobody says it's not on to critique Japan on a given day (as long as it relates to some point about Mormonism somehow, to be on topic) but it is obviously insensitive to do so on a thread that is focused on expressing support for the current disasters in that country. Especially in the first one or two Yuko-related or Yuko-written threads, the focus (as I saw it) was on the recent disaster in Japan and the fact that Yuko was worried about her family.

Just as when an RfM participant writes a post about a current life situation for which they are asking advice and support, it is seen as insensitive, unhelpful and perhaps self-serving to criticize them rather than offering support, so it is when Yuko is posting about her missing family in the midst of a major quake, tsunami, nuclear crisis and volcanic eruption, when thousands of people are known to have died and somebody decides to start talking about WWII.

I think it would be fine to **start another thread** on that topic, if it is relevant to RfM that is, but insensitive to do so **on Yuko's thread** (or any on that same theme of offering support to her in the midst of a horrific crisis).

For the record, I don't see anything wrong with MJ expressing his view on any country's culture. Too, that is relevant to the topics we discuss about Mormonism and its culture. By looking at similar institutions and the cultural traits elsewhere we can see our own in a different light and hopefully gather some valuable insights that help to de- and re-construct our own experiences in ways that are healing for us in light of our own upbringing and church and life events.

It's just a question of where and when. I think that is where most of the objections in this case arose. Then we get to the issue of who decides what is sensitive or insensitive and why anybody gets to call the shots on that. It's subjective, to be sure, but hopefully most of us can figure it out, here in a "recovery" place.

As for people feeling criticized or disliked or that they've been jumped on, it's worth remembering (at least in my opinion) that it can be scary to jump in and be a first-time poster here, especially on days when the cut and thrust is more lively, and that for non-assertive people it can be especially tough (whether their meeker persona comes from their natural personality, cultural programming or religious indoctrination). It takes time for people to get used to a new environment, and RfM is certainly that for those of us uber-trained to be quiet, inoffensive, obedient.

I only hope, for whatever psychological or psychiatric reasons anybody wants to postulate, that especially the new posters here generally receive a warm welcome, unless they totally blot their own copybook from the off that is, when it is understandable that they may get some flak, but still most deserve a big first chance and a second and even a third, unless they are outright trolling or preaching of course.

I remember when I first showed up here I was shell-shocked, it felt like, hurting from a series of negative experiences in religious settings, scared to post because "they" might recognize me (a totally unrealistic and paranoid fear in my case) and ultra-sensitive to comments that felt like criticism, although likely weren't really intended to be so.

I'm not saying we have to tread softly around every person and every post, but I think it doesn't hurt to at least keep a few of these realities in mind before wading in and drowning somebody who has ventured into the shark-infested waters and needs help and advice and support and friendship rather than a heated debate about a tangential point.

For today, I will offer support to the people of Japan, in the wake of their "Armageddon". Maybe next month sometime, if and as and where appropriate, I might offer an opinion on a cultural or political theme. But I won't mix the two. In my "culture", that would be insensitive, even inappropriate, and to me being inappropriate is next to the unforgiveable sin!

I'm not saying anyone at all should be like me. Just stating my observations and interpretations and hopes for how to welcome and include each other, as most of us deserve that. At least.

As for my ancestors and what they may or may not have done, I don't relate that to myself. I can be sorry for anything bad that I know about (such as British imperialism) but fortunately for my peace of mind I don't hold myself responsible for any of it. It happened. It's done. I can't change the past. I can only learn about it, learn from it, and move on in a different way, not imposing or upholding the wrongs of the past, but hopefully righting them in any small way that I am able to do so.

Meanwhile, I try to post at RfM as a "good citizen" of the board and try to keep out the welcome mat for newbies. They need it!

And a big thanks and WOW to Sus I/S and Eric for allowing us to discuss Japan's crises, really not all that "on topic" for this board about Mormonism. I appreciate the leeway. It's tough to ignore world events like this one and post about Monson or GC in the face of big, true, Life that slams us so hard, so often.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 02:22PM by Nightingale.

Date: March 18, 2011 02:23PM

Date: March 18, 2011 02:23PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I took the OP as one made in good cheer. I didn't
> see it as trying to stoke the flames.

As did I.

>
> As for criticism of a particular culture, I think
> the point many were trying to make is that there's
> a time and place.

I might agree except for the fact that one culture is being defended from any criticism (the Japanese culture) while another culture is being attacked (the Mormon culture in regards to missionaries living in harms way in Japan)

So, it seems there is a double standard, the disaster makes it the time and place to blindly praise one culture and condemn another.

The double standard seems to negate the claim that it is an inappropriate time to say negative things about a culture of people negatively affected by this disaster.

What it comes down to is that people are saying it is inappropriate to be critical of a culture they like, but appropriate to be critical of a culture they do not like

So, when it gets down to it, I am not being criticized because being critical of a culture negatively affected by this disaster, I am being criticized for being critical of the wrong culture. It seems I should use this disaster to praise Japanese culture and attack LDS culture.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 02:28PM by MJ.

Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 02:33PM

"Fock-in-EH"...

So a gay samurai walks into a bar...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.