Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 12:03PM

You know those Mormons. The ones who are just so busy trying to impress anyone who will listen. You've heard it. " And you know He/She is a Mormon." That's the tag line. As if I'm supposed to be impressed buy the sentence or the new information. Quite frankly when I hear it I think to myself "Poor celebrity, politician, whoever" this Mormon is trying to impress me about. I think this " great" person probably hates the fact that they aren't allowed to make any of their own decisions.

Now flash forward. I find it interesting that for every dumb happy Mormon who has to point out these "celebrity" types that are Mormon. The news media makes a point of noting a senior political persons Mormonism but they never mention Catholics, Jews, or Atheists unless it refers to personal issue. Only Mormons, in the national press, are given the special treatment of being singled out for being a Mormon and..... So to the Media I say thank you for at least keeping the public abreast of future threats to the democratic process buy alerting us to these "Famous" "Most Important" twits known as Mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 12:12PM

Eh, it's contextual.

Eric Cantor's Judaism gets brought up frequently. Everybody knows Pelosi and John Kerry are Catholics.

Vanilla Protestantism doesn't get brought up much because it's the default setting for most of the US, but variations from it (primarily Catholics, Jews, and Mormons) do get noted.

There are also Mormons that are not widely known to be such. Jeff Flake is one such example, and to a lesser extent Harry Reid.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 12:20PM

I know what you mean. My sis-in-law does the same thing, as if we're all supposed to be impressed and cheer along with her because the person is a mormon. Most recently it was some Olympian who "put family first" and "refused to go if it wasn't family friendly." "She's such a good example." "She always has a smile on her face." I want to vomit. Fortunately, she's shunning me now, and unfriended me on Facebook so I don't see the avalanche of Mormon crap she shares every day now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.