Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomorepowderedmilk ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 02:10AM

Here is Joanna Brooks facebook post:

whether or not the june disciplinary courts for kate and john were coincidental, i am now hearing every day about more bishops seeking unsolicited meetings with women who have been publicly feminist. not just leaders, but rank and file members with views no different than mine. i so wish this were not the case. but it goes to show how high profile courts create an environment where local leaders and members feel empowered or obliged to "act" towards mormon feminists. a very difficult time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 02:21AM

...this is the Mormon way of destroying their lives via excommunication...divorce, destruction of their families...all without a single bullet.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 02:42AM

I wish they'd all leave.
Aside from that, the only way to 'combat' this is for all of them to come out and tell their stories. The church wants to drive the dissenters out, and those who are on the fence, quietly and meekly back into the fold, and in the process, scare the crap out of everyone else so they don't get any 'ideas' on thinking for themselves and speaking up about it.
This seems to happen in waves in the church. I really hope we don't discuss this 15 years down the road, as we do past insurgencies, like 'September Six', where nothing seems to have changed between then and now. The church wants this to die, those who disagree have to keep it alive.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 08:04AM

They won't leave, since I assume most of them believe. I think it would be a bit silly to leave a church you sincerely believe in otherwize.

That said, they'll probably leave eventually (as will most TBMs), but for now I don't think they will, since despite being feminist, they probably still believe in the other 99% of the church's teachings.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 01:56AM

Shame on them for believing the bigoted Mormon fraud that supposedly makes being born in Utah, Idaho, and Arizona a sign pre-mortal exceptionalism.

Believing Mormonism is a choice. Being born female is not

Posted by: Fashion police ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 02:51AM

& she's a celebrity now.

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 07:13AM

I think it's incredibly brave for these women (some men too - men probably aren't being called in) to speak truth to power.

Many could just leave - but I think it's pretty amazing that some decide to stay and fight (respectfully agitate).

Many will probably end up here or other places eventually. The LDS church has a way of breaking one's spirit.

So I think it's courageous to speak truth to power, and courageous to leave. Each person decides what's right for them.

FWIW, if the leadership is reading this board, the whole thing is shooting themselves in the foot (not that long term that's a bad thing). Maybe it gives good press now for the membership (boundary maintenance), but long term they will simply continue to hemorrhage members.

In 2014 (2014!!) women realize they are not second class citizens. Many men realize that women are not second class citizens.

In 2014 many women could easily fill the leadership positions in the church - and many do the same thing in their working lives. But a female CPA still couldn't be ward clerk. Even the most obtuse of us out there figures out the inherent inequality of this. Separate is not equal - particularly in this case.

Date: June 18, 2014 07:17AM

My sister claims that the executive secretary in her old ward was a woman. I seriously think this was being done unofficially on the sly.

Posted by: Sandie* ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 07:52AM

the stake president to do so. So, yes, there are females that work in the clerks' offices at Mormon churches. I served for six years in this capacity.

Date: June 18, 2014 07:08PM

Because I've never seen a woman as an executive secretary or clerk in a ward.

Posted by: Sandie* ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 08:35PM

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 09:08AM

My aunt was ward clerk in her ward in SLC

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 10:52AM

I work at a fortune 500. If employees of that company created websites criticizing the decisions being made by executive management they would be fired.

Business is business...

Posted by: eyesopen ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 11:23AM

Which only goes to show it is indeed a business, run by men, who employ a business mentality (but cloak it in the "power" of God). All TBMs out there -- OPEN YOU EYES!

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 12:59PM

Business may be business - but Mormonism claims to be the one true church of the humble carpenter from Nazareth.

Even a rudimentary knowledge of the the New Testament would tell anyone that this can't be so.

Not to mention the fact that DNA has proven the Book of Mormon to be a hoax.
NO Jews/Hebrews/Semites were in the Americas before Christopher Columbus.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 03:47PM

Members are not employees.

If they had the balls to withold tithing then the policy would change quickly in the church.

The problem is they are brainwashed into thinking Jesus is the asshole who is guiding the church

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 06:33PM

If they're not employees why do they hold callings, recruit, and clean/maintain the buildings?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 08:07PM

An unpaid worker is either a volunteer or a slave.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 08:08PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: submissionary ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 05:37PM

If the employees went to management with a way to improve productivity and increase employee satisfaction as well as retention, management would listen to them, thank them and probably implement those ideas. The employee would be recognized for their initiative. The employee may even receive compensation above and beyond their normal salary.

The employee would not be told to sit down and shut up. A company that does this deserves to be mocked. A company like this deserves to have internal strife. A company like this deserves, and needs to fail.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 07:39PM

Your post describes the management at my last job to T !only instead of being told to sit down and shut up, they'd fire you!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 02:48AM

kolobian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I work at a fortune 500. If employees of that
> company created websites criticizing the decisions
> being made by executive management they would be
> fired.
>
> Business is business...

Exactly! I have made the same point many times. That is how the LDS Church is run. It is Big Business.

No business can survive with people undermining it either. That's just common sense.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 11:05AM

And I thought the Salem Witch Trials ended long ago.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 11:37AM

At least unlike Salem, no one will be burned at the stake. This smacks more of the Spanish Inquisition to me.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 05:41PM

Salem witches were hanged and a few died in prison.

Spanish Inquisition used torture and burning at the stake.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 11:08AM

This action will do more to destroy LDS Inc than any outside influence.

BKP was right when he stated that intellectuals and feminists were enemies of the LDS organization.

They are poking a wasps nest, again, thinking their magic priesthood power will solve all problems, which has consistently failed them in the past.

This will have ramifications.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 12:36PM

One of my married grandnieces posted on Facebook that she considers herself Mormon feminist. Her bishop, who must lurk his members' Facebook pages, told her that if the word came down (wait, I thought all discipline was a local matter) to crack down on OW sympathizers he would have to take away her recommend.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 06:58PM

Posted by: could be ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 02:20PM

Sounds like Joanna is thinking they've been called on the carpet. Perhaps people who get the call should start the conversation saying how pleased they are the bishop wants to know more about their concerns of sexism in the church so he can consider if he really HAS to continue traditions that might be update to help sisters (and the men who live and love sisters) experience God's love in the Church.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 02:51PM

It will be interesting to see how it goes if the church wages war on some of their strongest most educated women.

It will also be interesting to see how it goes if they don't.

I quite enjoy seeing the church in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Time for popcorn.

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 08:11PM

I'll start popping it now :)

Posted by: reawakening ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 05:29PM

I stopped believing about a year ago and have been attending with my family since then. I have wondered why I stay and had no good answer except for the sake of family time. The drive alone is an hour and a half round trip. It was my plan to stop attending when I move across country in the fall.

I have new resolve to stay and attend to become an agitor from within (as long as they allow me on the inside). There is gross inequality in the LDS church and if I can help other women open thier eyes to the abuse of authority I will. So I will become a full fledged textbook apostate. And if I lose my membership by excommunication then I will wear it like a badge of honor and I will become a more interesting person because of it.

I had the privilage of speaking in sacrament meeting last Sunday and took the opportuinity to mention the historical presidence of females administering blessings and the policy change in 1946 by Joseph Fielding Smith that stopped that practice. I also read D&C 121 about unrighteous dominion. It was awesome!! and scary. But I spoke truth and others took notice.

I have not been contacted by any leaders yet. I'm sure they are still discussing how to handle me, but surprise, I am a firce woman who will not be handled!

I hate that Kate Kelly is experiencing so much pain with her public trial, so I do this for her, and all the other TBM women who are devasted with the threat of church discipline.

Like madalice, I too relish seeing the church in this damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. It's good to see them sweat!

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 05:51PM

I applaud you! Excommunication seems like a badge of honor to me too, although I will not be stalking it 'cause I don't want to attend any church! ;)

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 07:02PM

Now, all that's needed is about 100,000 more Mormon women like you.

Posted by: anagrammyvisitingwa ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 08:47PM

The really happy news for us in this last of a number of PR disasters is

THEY NEVER LEARN!!!

Consider that their actions on Prop 8 in California moved them up into the top three most hated religions in America.

Wouldn't you think that someone in their hire is asking the question, "What would the average American think of this action.

Having a public image of "weird" prompts the negative reaction of friends and family to the news that an individual is taking the discussions. Don't they know that having others say, "You're kidding, right?" is not helping the missionary program.

Honestly, were this bunch REALLY in business, they would all be fired immediately based on their performance.

Kathleen waters

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 10:01PM

KW: Isn't it OBVIOUS? the only 'public' they appeal to/care about are the TBM tithe-payers.

really.

Posted by: plaid ( )
Date: June 18, 2014 09:53PM

It may be difficult, but the cult's stupidity and cruelty will help many women escape and further weaken the whole structure.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 02:43AM

It ought to be clear, at least, it is to me, that there is no middle ground in the LDS Church Gospel/doctrine/teachings. The whole platform, and frame of mind is: either for them or against them. And that is constructed that way on purpose, in my view.

So get with them, or leave them on your own, or be kicked out. That is how it works.

I learned the same principle in the work force!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.