Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 08:30PM

Some of you may have read previous threads of mine, regarding my frequent visits with a 'high up' member of the Q70. Once again, I am altering certain details to protect myself for various reasons. But, the core concepts are fully in tact.

Anyways, here are a few of his latest responses, as I continue to challenge him on the many issues regarding TSCC:

-Joseph Smith never said that he, or his successors should be followed in everything. If you thought that following the Prophet meant to do everything he says, then you weren't a good Mormon. Good Mormons understand that the Prophet is not always right and should not always be followed. Only when it is in line with what you feel God supports. [Um, really??? That is not what every Mormon is taught. But, this was his cop out for all the huge times following the Prophet led to terrible results in Church History.]

-The Book of Mormon was so inspired that thousands of scholars have conclusively demonstrated that all the theories put forward by anti-Mormons are simply impossible. There is only one answer-it is from God. [This was after I mentioned several huge issues with the credibility of the BOM. He didn't address any of them, just made this sweeping comment and ended it right there. *Palm to forehead]

-I love the truth about 'Living Revelation', he said to me. This is the answer to all the changes that have taken place in the church, over it's 'powerful and inspired history'. To the human mind, the changes make it look like God has changed His mind and therefore, He couldn't really be a perfect God. It's not true. The members and the world needed to change. So, the Mormon God reveals things when the church is ready for it and when the world can handle it. [I don't think he realizes that more than 98% of this world never pay attention to TSCC. And when they do, it's to go to an easy source for a good laugh.]

I'll stop there. Any comments, my RfM friends?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 08:54PM

He sounds about as clueless and ignorant of his own religion as the average 12 year deacon. He makes all these sweeping generalizations and claims about anti-Mormons and the problems in Mormon history and yet refuses to study anything from the anti-Mormons. His head is so far stuck in the ground its amazing he can even find his way to church on Sunday.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 09:01PM

"Good Mormons understand that the Prophet is not always right and should not always be followed. Only when it is in line with what you feel God supports."

Green light for Kate:)

But seriously, it stands or falls with the Book of Mormon and his sweeping comment is unbelievable.

Posted by: honest1 ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 09:06PM

Love your ending. OMgosh he is a bigwig and says that? It should be available for ALL to read. After all, many don't want to wear the garments and heck if the Mormon doesn't think God supports it then according to him they don't have to wear them. WOW.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 09:10PM

Thousands of scholars, he says, have unproved the theories put forward by anti Mormons.

Like the theory that the plates weren't present during the translation?

Or how about the theory that there was no Urim and Thummim spectacle set?

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 09:15PM

"The members and the world needed to change. So, the Mormon God reveals things when the church is ready for it and when the world can handle it."

Trouble with that little daydream is that invariably, the "world" has already gotten the memo way before the prophet and the church.

Can he really be totally unaware of that?

Posted by: Scott Carles ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 09:41PM

"Good Mormons understand that the Prophet is not always right and should not always be followed. Only when it is in line with what you feel God supports."

If everything a prophet seer and revelator says needs to be independently verified, then prophets, seers and revelators are unnecessary.

If an individual were to find out through independent revelation that something a prophet, seer and revelator said should not be followed, such as women should be ordained, then you can bet that the Church would take action (see Kate Kelly).

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 09:46PM

It is hard for Mormons to understand....

The Book of Mormon has already been proven to be a hoax and nothing more than a 19 century book of fiction.

There are people who believe the Earth is flat and refuse to accept evidence to the contrary.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 10:04PM

One does not get to be a GA without first demonstrating one is totally church-broke.

Posted by: azlulu ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 10:10PM

Well written. Thank you.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 11:19PM

Has your friend received a new revelation? That's not what's been preached as recently as 2010.

Does he recall this?

Ezra Taft Benson, "Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet," given February 26, 1980:

http://www.lds.org/liahona/1981/06/fourteen-fundamentals-in-following-the-prophet?lang=eng

[Regurgitated by Claudio R. M. Costa, "Obedience to the Prophets," October 2010 General Conference address; Ensign, November 2010, pp. 11-13.]

Maybe he should talk with his pal Claudio and get their stories straight.

And let's not forget the great "none of your business" line by Heber Kimball:

Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 32, Heber C. Kimball, November 8, 1857
"In regard to our situation and circumstances in these valleys, brethren, WAKE UP! WAKE UP, YE ELDERS OF ISRAEL, AND LIVE TO GOD and none else; and learn to do as you are told, both old and young: learn to do as you are told for the future. And when you are taking a position, if you do not know that you are right, do not take it – I mean independently. But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong. You will get water, if you dig away. That is rather presumptuous doctrine with some people; but with me it is not."

And I still would very much like to know whether he, or any other GA, has ever cleaned the bathroom in his home ward building.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 11:35PM

All the anti-mormon BOM theories have been disproven? Find out where I can go to see the BOM steel swords, because I want to see them. Are they in a museum at the Battlefield site?

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 11:38PM

He's intellectually lazy, like many Mormons - make that, like many religious people.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 11:42PM

If the GA taught what he believed he would be excommunicated for apostasy. If he makes it to president, then his teachings would be revelation. The lord works in mysterious ways.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.