Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: byepolar ( )
Date: June 30, 2014 11:55AM

I have a set of practically new temple robes (not TG's) still in their travel case.

Do you think that it'd be 'worth it' (like if I could cover my shipping costs) to sell them on Ebay?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 30, 2014 11:57AM

Try it out. Let us know how much you get for them. You've got nothing to lose.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 30, 2014 11:57AM

Personally, I wouldn't try. They may reject the sale. I've seen it done before.
My personal choice is to leave them with an LDS member.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 30, 2014 11:58AM

You could get some cash and educate the buyer and many of his/her friends as well.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 30, 2014 12:02PM

The buyer pays shipping.

You never know if it's worth it unless you give it a shot.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: June 30, 2014 01:15PM

Sell them as a "Costume"

They would be great for Halloween

Posted by: I'm a Dinosaur ( )
Date: June 30, 2014 01:22PM

Don't forget to send a free copy of the CES letter along with it.

Posted by: Aagh ( )
Date: June 30, 2014 02:11PM

My sister and her husband stopped speaking to me when I left the church. She has gained about 200 lbs since she was married in the temple. I can't imagine what those garments must be like to wear! I NEVER understood the reasoning behind those garments.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: June 30, 2014 03:16PM

in the resale store and be delighted.

Posted by: Apostate ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 02:48AM

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 02:57AM

I don't know if TBM's are still making a stink when they are put up for sake on ebay. They have in the past and have gotten their sale taken off. On the other hand, I love WhatIsWanted suggestion and sell them as a costume for Halloween.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 03:40AM

I have heard of people putting garments and the like on, and having TBMs buy them to prevent them getting into the hands of gentiles. Provided you were respectful when listing them, I don't see how ebay could remove the listing.

Maybe write the listing as if you were TBM, had grown out of them, and were listing them for other TBMs to use in the temple. THat could get interesting. I don't see how ebay could have a problem with that.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 03:47AM

Someone will grab them for a great costume...yes they are worth selling on Ebay. At the next protest march (for whatever reason) around the temple grounds, someone will want to wear them. Have them less than the actual price one pays for them brand new. Keep us posted.

Posted by: blueeyes ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 12:21PM

I wish I had kept mine. I would have used them for Halloween. I have a skeleton that I hang out on my front porch and it has articulated arms. Every day during Halloween, I have it's arms set at the different positions of the signs made in the temple. If I had kept the robes, now that would have been more fun.I have quite a few mormon neighbors around me, one is the bishop.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 02:57PM

Mention that they're great for toga parties. Laurel leaf headband not included.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 03:19PM

You might regret not keeping them for a latter day. I was about to throw all that stuff out and so glad I didn't. AWESOME costume material! This kind of "Exhibit A" stuff you just can't get once it's gone. When you are first coming out and mad, the urge to purge is pretty overwhelming but if you let it percolate and digest, you just might thank yourself later.

Posted by: Ed (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 01, 2014 03:39PM

I remember some folks trying to do this with the temple garment maybe 10 years ago. Initially people were making a lot of money doing this -- probably from members buying them to keep them sacred. If I recall right, Ebay barred further sale of the garments in the name of religious respect. Not sure if the same would go for temple robes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.