Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: upThink ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 10:19PM

This is a sincere question, and is not meant in a derogatory way.

If we take the LDS perspective of god having a physical body, at some point god's spirit was united with his/her body. If there is supposedly a process that can unite the two, wouldn't there have to also exist the possibility that the union can be undone?

Even if you take a mainstream Christianity perspective on God being more spiritual and omnipresent, the question still stands... Can he/she be killed?

I don't know of any scripture that touches on this... We just assume he can't because he/she is, well, God.

Okay, let's assume he/she can't die... that it's somehow literally impossible. Does God have the free will to simply stop doing what he/she's doing? Can God choose to no longer be God?

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: upThink ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 10:21PM

BTW, I'm not looking for the correct answer... I'm more interested in your personal perspectives on the issue. I'm borderline atheist at this point.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 10:33PM

what if god and superman got in a fight ?

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 10:37PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what if god and superman got in a fight ?

Iron man would win but I would prefer to see a fight between Wonder Woman and bat girl in baby oil.

Posted by: Lurker From Beyond ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:03PM

Gods die when people stop believing in them

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:25PM

Anything that is "born" will die. Something's live longer than others but all things die even gods. Yes, god died and his replacement has not traveled here from Kolob yet.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 12:47AM

I think god may have died while creating this universe. He dropped something, spilled something - boom.

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:06AM

If Japanese anime and video games have taught me anything, it is that yes, gods can absolutely be killed if you slam an oversized sword into them hard enough.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:19AM

A half god took 2 sticks and 4 nails to kill. A full god should therefore require 4 sticks and 8 nails to kill.

If god is made of a super strong skin, then if you made bullets out of the same material you could kill it. No matter how tough a material is, it could always be destroyed by a bullet made of the same material. Thus a flesh and bones god could not be invincible.

A god that pre-existed the big bang is outside of space and time, therefore it could not be killed by something inside the universe. Something in god's own "universe" might be able to kill it, but by definition we cannot know about anything outside the universe, including whether such a god exists.

A god who lives in another universe that is able to interact with our universe might be killable depending on how the two universes interact. Presumably it would be a 2 way interaction where god could kill us and we could kill him.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 03:35AM

An abusive and cruel father can kill any and all deities. The collapse of belief and hope is the collapse of God. God is as dead to me as is my father. I am an orphan of spirit.

It's easier to kill God than it is to step on an ant. When you consider yourself to be God, then god is no more.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (sober) ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:59AM

The madman jumped into their midst and pierced them with his eyes. "Whither is God?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him---you and I. All of us are his murderers. But how did we do this? How could we drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What were we doing when we unchained this earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving? Away from all suns? Are we not plunging continually? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there still any up or down? Are we not straying, as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is not night continually closing in on us? Do we not need to light lanterns in the morning? Do we hear nothing as yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we smell nothing as yet of the divine decomposition? Gods, too, decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him."

Posted by: Kaitlyn ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:18AM

God died in the big bang, he didn't figure on the inflationary process and it ripped him apart.

Posted by: Chad ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:37AM

Can you use your free will to grow twenty inches taller? Yes, I did it from the ages of 7 to 22. Bad example.

By free will, can you become not you? God will not free will to become not god, because that would go against his being god, by definition. I'd try to argue this from the definition that god is all powerful. being dead would mean he loses power to come back, which would mean he isn't god any more. and if he would choose that, then he isn't all powerful, because there'd be a time where he would not have power. something like that.

that "all powerful" thing is pretty up there in terms of power level. way over 9000.

turns out, god is so powerful he can't even kill himself!

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:58AM

It depends on who the God is.

If you follow the LDS definition then God was once mortal but now exists in some perfected form. We don't know what that 'perfected' form means really as its a made up concept. But if he has flesh, body parts, organs etc then YES he can be killed if the right events happened (such as dismemberment) but that might only destroy the physical form.

The real question is COULD he be killed, to which the answer is probably no.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 11:05AM

Since Lucifer was one of the greatest of all God's spirit children, then it is reasonable to assume that he is a rationale being. It would NOT be rationale for a super-intelligent being to wage a war, unless there was a chance that the war could be won. Winning a war against God would require either killing him or binding him indefinitely. Either result implies that God is NOT omnipotent and thus vulnerable in some form or another.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 11:06AM

He's eternal you muppet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.