Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bewarethetea ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 07:08AM

Because I don't know what other people's experiences are with this, I'm just going to frame it in the first person and base it off of my own perspective.

I don't mean to brag here, but my life is pretty good. I have a toilet, food, heating, nice clothing, a fairly high IQ, a kind (for the most part) family, and a stable, happy relationship. And I'm thankful for all of it. But the thing is, whenever I start feeling happy or proud of what I have or who I am, I think "Who am I to feel happy when other people are suffering in this world? Why am I so arrogant? What's the point of feeling good when I still could feel better?"

It seems like in this society (as well as in Mormonism, hence the only "kind of" OT in the subject line) that we're not allowed to compliment ourselves. We're supposed to see ourselves as ugly, as not talented enough or smart enough or good enough. We're not allowed to be happy with the way things are.

This kind of sounds a Mormon thing, but I find I'm still thinking this way: ashamed of myself when I'm not pursuing some sort of higher aspiration. Have any of you guys experienced this, and in what context? Do you think it comes from, or is left over from Mormonism? Or is it just me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 07:21AM

I love how you've got your priorities straight. Toilet is #1!

Your guilt is wasted only on you. Nobody else it benefitting from it.

Let it go.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 07:39AM

Enjoy it while you've got it. Life is long, my friend, with many ups and downs. Keep pursuing your happiness.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 10:29AM

Things are going pretty good chez moi as well, but there is always that nagging feeling that something is about to go wrong or that I'm neglecting something. Not sure if it is Mormon guilt or just human nature to always be wary.

I almost hate to count my blessings for fear of some of them being taken away.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 12:43PM

Being ashamed of "self" is a toxic shame.

Having remorse or shame for an action taken could be very beneficial in the long term.

Posted by: corwin ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:18AM

You didn't choose to be born into your situation, so there's no benefit to feeling guilty about it. And even if you spent ALL your money and resources, a crap-ton of people out there would STILL have unhappy lives... and then your life would suck too.

There's something to be said for altruism; I wouldn't discourage anyone from donating a little time or money to worthy causes. But there is nothing inherently morally wrong with putting your happiness first to a reasonable degree.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.